Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Average Men's Attendance

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    No way there were that many people there tonight. I think closer to 1,000 - 1,500.
    Agreed. BU has an attendance problem but they are not the only ones.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Yeah, the young alumni season ticket price is excellent, $219 for the season which comes out to about $12/game. And they consider young alumni to be anyone who's graduated in the past 10 yeasr. But you're right there's no YA price for individual games, and unless you walk up and buy a ticket, it comes out to $32.55 for one ticket to tonight's game. Face value is $23, plus another $8.55 in TM fees. Ridiculous.
      Is the other $1 because they don't expect people to be able to do simple arithmetic?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From what I understand, Friday night's BU at Northeastern will be sold out (or come pretty close). Granted, it's Homecoming weekend but, even by homecoming standards, that's a pretty good crowd.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Is the other $1 because they don't expect people to be able to do simple arithmetic?
          Who does that? Simple arithmetic? What a concept.!
          I think universities have two problems. they have to compete with other activities and increasingly they can't afford to. There is still an arms race in facilities, and now days the big money schools have found ways to recruit that small schools can't match, short of paying off players.
          So they raise the price to cover these expenses. Maybe their costs go up, maybe they think they can get it, maybe they feel they have to in order to stay competitive, maybe they whatever, but the bottom line is that demand runs the price of going to a game, and if there is a mismatch between demand and price, attendance is going to suffer. Also it seems that once fans find something else to do, it's hard to get them back in.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
            No way there were that many people there tonight. I think closer to 1,000 - 1,500.
            Saw a pic of it on twitter and was shocked. I would agree with your estimate. Even on a weeknight there should be a better turnout than that.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I will never understand why the northeast didn’t change to Friday/Saturday games a long time ago.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

can't someone start a different thread for mookie? one that is for "the above average men's attendance"? some here can certainly join mookie there

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I will never understand why the northeast didn’t change to Friday/Saturday games a long time ago.
                they did. but now there is an odd roster in hea and with one team resting there is a potential issue with a team playing back to back while one team rests. also some of these places share with other sports and don't have access to their rink whenever they feel like hosting a game.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Yeah, just play the same team on Friday and Saturday. Back-to-back.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Law enforcement hasn't helped. According to sources at ss.com, police officers have often been seen outside MMMariucci this year waiving people away, saying, "MMMove on, folks, there's nnnothing to see here."

Completely inappropriate, but who can deny the truth of it?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Yeah, just play the same team on Friday and Saturday. Back-to-back.
                      With the departure of Notre Dame, Hockey East now has an unbalanced schedule. Each team plays 6 other teams twice and 4 other teams 3 times. You can't just play "back-to-back" when you have 3 games to play.
                      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                        With the departure of Notre Dame, Hockey East now has an unbalanced schedule. Each team plays 6 other teams twice and 4 other teams 3 times. You can't just play "back-to-back" when you have 3 games to play.
                        Not to mention an odd number of teams, so the league cannot play entirely against itself on a single weekend without leaving someone out, or having one or more teams play one game on the weekend, or having to play at least one OOC game.

edit: oh, mookie already said this.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I don't think the Wild being as popular as they are helps the Gophers either. The Wild market infinitely more than the U does for Gophers hockey (which is virtually non-existent) and even Gophers FB and BB have a marketing presence. I know when the North Stars were still here the Gophers did better, but there were fewer seats in the old arena and Gophers ticket prices weren't anything like they are now with all the licensing fees tacked on compared to when they first moved to the new Mecca.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I don't think the Wild being as popular as they are helps the Gophers either. The Wild market infinitely more than the U does for Gophers hockey (which is virtually non-existent) and even Gophers FB and BB have a marketing presence. I know when the North Stars were still here the Gophers did better, but there were fewer seats in the old arena and Gophers ticket prices weren't anything like they are now with all the licensing fees tacked on compared to when they first moved to the new Mecca.
                            But here's my question on that. The Wild have been around since about 2001(??) or so? The gophers attendance woes weren't occurring then, were they? I've really only been to games in Minnesota when North Dakota was there, but from what I recall seeing on tv I don't recall big chunks of empty seats at Mariucci like we see now. The Wild have pretty much sold out every year of their existence, iirc.

My own theory about attendance, and it's not unique to Minnesota or even college hockey, is twofold. First, I think people, and especially younger people, are less willing to shell out money to go sit at and watch a single event for 3 hours. It's a much more attention deficit type of world that we seem to live in.

Second, there are so many other options for viewing the games. If you don't want to spend the time or money to see it live, you can watch it on tv, you can stream it, you can stream it later on demand, or you can stream highlights of it later.

I just think of my personal situation.

My dad, my brother and I first started purchasing North Dakota season tickets about 35 years ago. I was finishing school but my brother was still there.

It is about 800 miles for me to travel round trip to see North Dakota play. 30 years ago I made that trip. A lot. There were no other options. I really couldn't even catch the game on the radio.

But then the options started coming in. I could stream the radio broadcast for free. Then more television broadcasts followed. Finally, I'm able to watch 95% of the games live, by streaming them, no matter where I might be. I've sat at wedding receptions, the Wild games and in Mexico watching North Dakota hockey. I don't think I have to tell you that I make that 800 mile round trip about once or twice a year now, tops. And I'm a pretty diehard college hockey fan.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              But here's my question on that. The Wild have been around since about 2001(??) or so? The gophers attendance woes weren't occurring then, were they? I've really only been to games in Minnesota when North Dakota was there, but from what I recall seeing on tv I don't recall big chunks of empty seats at Mariucci like we see now. The Wild have pretty much sold out every year of their existence, iirc.

My own theory about attendance, and it's not unique to Minnesota or even college hockey, is twofold. First, I think people, and especially younger people, are less willing to shell out money to go sit at and watch a single event for 3 hours. It's a much more attention deficit type of world that we seem to live in.

Second, there are so many other options for viewing the games. If you don't want to spend the time or money to see it live, you can watch it on tv, you can stream it, you can stream it later on demand, or you can stream highlights of it later.

My dad, my brother and I first started purchasing North Dakota season tickets about 35 years ago. I was finishing school but my brother was still there.

It is about 800 miles for me to travel round trip to see North Dakota play. 30 years ago I made that trip. A lot. There were no other options. I really couldn't even catch the game on the radio.

But then the options started coming in. I could stream the radio broadcast for free. Then more television broadcasts followed. Finally, I'm able to watch 95% of the games live, by streaming them, no matter where I might be. I've sat at wedding receptions, the Wild games and in Mexico watching North Dakota hockey. I don't think I have to tell you that I make that 800 mile round trip about once or twice a year now, tops. And I'm a pretty diehard college hockey fan.
                              ..very much on the money.

edit: and this applies to 45 miles or 800 with the options today.
                              Last edited by northeastern; 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

There is a lot to that, but the Wild and Vikings don't have a problem selling out and although I haven't looked I'm sure the Wolves have healthy ticket sales. Also men's BB at UM does quite well. Remember that when the Wild started the Gophers still had a waiting list for season tickets and iirc the licensing fees (or whatever they're called) weren't anywhere near what they are now. And consider that in 2001-2004 the Gophers had a very healthy string of results in the NCAA playoffs (or I guess an OT loss to Maine in 2001 I believe) before B2B and a few wins in 2004. The WCHA was also at peak level including the Frozen Five tournament.

It will most likely never get back to what it was when there was a waiting list, but they have to get smarter and if they do there's no reason they can't fill at least 75-80% on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X