Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Don't we have a GD abortion thread?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Women (per social pressures) didn't want to ADMIT they wanted sex as much as men, given the double standards, etc etc.

It's a noble attempt at a flawed argument, and it is sexist in its angle.

I just get friggin' angry when people use abortion as birth control. That's not how it's supposed to work. Yes, the responsibility relies on both parties. I had a buddy in HS who actually broke up with his gf, b/c she had an abortion. He didn't believe in that (and NOT because of religious reasons), he was committed to her and their baby, and she didn't want the baby. He spelled it out for her, and still no go.
      Whoo nelly!I have a lot to say to this!
      I think the number of people that use abortions as BC are fairly rare for a number of logistical reasons. It isn't like McDonalds Drive Thru unless you are independently wealthy or have amazingly good insurance. Can't speak for places outside of NH or Mass but those you have to make appt, sit thru counseling and then get procedure even if you can pay for it. Some of those you need referrals for and prior Authorizaton clearance. Most of the insurances do not pay to have general anesthesia either.

Personally I do not think I could ever have an abortion. I struggle with the concept HOWEVER when I read things like the guy said he was committed etc so she should keep the pregnancy the hair raises on the back of my neck. Yes he might or 9 months from now he might not. Having a pregnancy, then a baby, then dealing with the father for the baby (some of the FOB are dam scary dudes and use pregnancy and then the kids as a way to control the women) for rest of your life... The guy can say what he wants but his body is not going to change irrevocably (I don't just mean cosmetically), have the potential for scary medical things to happen, have the responsibility for the baby if the guy goes AWOL and then have to pay for legal help, paternity testing, etc. No matter how you shake it the woman bears the burden physically and legally. She is at the guys mercy if he decides to be a jerk.

My preference would be for the women to not have unwanted/unplanned pregnancy. I would very much hope she not chose an AB. I would never use what a guy promises as a reason to make that decision- either to support or refuse to do so. He could be gone tomorrow. She needs to live with what she decides for as long as she lives.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I think they DON'T think about the consquences, or anything but the sex at the time,and then, "Crap, I'm pregnant."
      Sometimes true. A lot of them just don't think they can be pregnant. I can't even count the times I asked, "could you be pregnant?" and heard, "No." Then asked, "Are you having sex?" Yes". Blank look. Ask why they can't be pregnant and you get a blank stare followed by something along the lines of because I can't be. Honestly this never failed to baffle me and I heard it more times than I could count.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      I think it's clear the answer is "zero" in terms of people choosing it as a form of birth control, as opposed to something like birth control pills or a condom.

People just engage in the act and assume (hope?) no pregnancy will ensue. I do think that consciously or subconsciously women, and men, understand that if by unlucky chance a pregnancy does occur, taking the baby to term is not the only option. It's kind of like if all else fails, I do have that one, last out that I really don't want to exercise.

I've posted on here that I'm completely prochoice and I don't really see anything happening that will change that. However, a few days ago I happened to see an article in I think the Minneapolis paper that talked about the number of abortions that occurred in Minnesota annually, and how that number dipped to below 10,000, as I recall. I'm not sure why, but I was actually surprised there were that number of abortions in Minnesota annually. I would have guessed the number was a lot lower.

That caused me to look at the numbers nationally. The latest data I saw indicated there were about 700,000 abortions annually in the U.S., again a number that surprised me a bit, and that was just "reported" abortions. Probably ignorance on my part, but I really had no idea that many were occurring.
      I don't nthink most people get that far subconsciously or consciously

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I also wonder if they're counting all the natural miscarriages.
      hmmm.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Au contraire. I had a friend in high school who desperately wanted a baby - she worked in the nursery at our church and just loved babies that much. She had one, too, at age 16 - and then another, another, and her 4th at age 21, all with her husband. They now have 7, and are still happily married 25 years later.

Statistically, though, I recognize that she does not exist.
      I think she statistically does. Lots of girls have the idea that they want someone of thier own, that it will cement a relationship. I had more than a few who had mothers that were very excited to have a grandkid. That is some sort of warped thinking right there!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        ... some of the FOB are dam scary dudes ...
        < naive guy with hand up in back of room >

Uh, excuse me, but if they are, quoting, "dam (sic) scary dudes" why are you, shall we politely say, doing the deed with them? (Please under stand that you in this case does not mean you.)
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Can you guys take it to the abortion thread? This is about mass shootings.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            < naive guy with hand up in back of room >

Uh, excuse me, but if they are, quoting, "dam (sic) scary dudes" why are you, shall we politely say, doing the deed with them? (Please under stand that you in this case does not mean you.)
            They find out how scary after the fact. One of the highest levels of domestic violence is during pregnancy

...and now back to your regularly scheduled debate about guns and ammo

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I highly doubt that Plan B pills taken could be considered in those abortion counts. In no way, shape or form could a woman know she's pregnant when taking Plan B. The two pills must be taken less than 24 hours after sex, and if the fertilized egg had implanted in the uterus at that time, the signals to the body have yet to be sent. It's called an "emergency contraceptive" for a reason. An abortion is not an contraceptive, it's an action taking place post-conception.

Many abortions can be performed with drugs, causing the woman's body to create what could be considered an unnatural miscarriage or sorts. Not all abortions require the use of sticking metallic instruments in a woman to excise the fetus.
              *slowclap*
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's weird that the NRA has somehow missed the story of two patriots being murdered for exercising their second amendment rights, but found time to retweet a story about Confederate Civil War rifles today.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Since criminals already ignore existing laws on the books, the solution is to pass even more laws for them to ignore???
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

is last night being considered a 'mass shooting'?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      is last night being considered a 'mass shooting'?
                      IINM you get that star if the death toll >= 5 so, yep.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Does shooting people before blowing them up count? this is pretty nasty.

Comment

Only if the conversation devolves into an argument over France's lax truck control laws.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Reset the clock.

Crap
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              Does shooting people before blowing them up count? this is pretty nasty.
                              Reading a report from an eye witness, this took place at baggage claim. Shooter emptied his 9mm gun(s), finished shooting, tossed aside his weapons, laid face down on the ground spread eagle, and waited for the police to arrive on the scene, which took about a minute.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Reading a report from an eye witness, this took place at baggage claim. Shooter emptied his 9mm gun(s), finished shooting, tossed aside his weapons, laid face down on the ground spread eagle, and waited for the police to arrive on the scene, which took about a minute.
                                Reuters report says he was shot by police as he was reloading, so as usual, in the struggle to be first, news may or may not prove to be correct

Comment

Working...
                                X