X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    So what? Why do you think that makes it any less sexist?

Sexism isn't a male disease. Plenty of people are trapped into belief systems that perpetuate their secondary status. Phyllis Schlafly has made a career flying around the world telling women to stay home.
    I just thought it was a most peculiar POV coming from a female.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      I just thought it was a most peculiar POV coming from a female.
      Sadly no.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        What is it about conservatives in general and gun advocates in particular that are so bad with facts. A) no place do European police 'admit gun control has not worked' B) there are no across the board facts to back up that assertion.

In fact, 1) The US has a much higher gun rate of ownership than any country in the world...over 200 of countries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...ita_by_country 2) There is a much, much higher rate of gun violence (not suicide) in the US than in any other developed country...and by a long shot http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-...her-countries/

And in case you weren't sure:

Americans are seven times more likely to die from violence and six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun.

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States (and call me crazy, but I don't buy the death rate among those under 14 was due to suicide).
        You're arguing facts with a guy who posts tenuously-sourced rants from Counter Current Noise, Pajama Media, and DisinfoWars.

Comment

If you didn't like that, here's better: The theory was presented to me by a female.
          That is sad. I hope said female is not raising any children and passing on this warped view of life

There's the rub for many --> sexuality or reproduction. One is mechanical-factual, the other is everywhere from strictly personal to deeply emotional to religious.

(Again, the messenger would prefer to not have his Kevlar body armor tested.)
          Sexuality is part of reproduction. Far too often they teach tab A goes in slot B but forget to tell kids it feels good and they will want more. The morality of it is something you can teach at home but reproduction includes sexuality. Way too lazy to find the links but kids who are taught wholistically are way less likely to use the knowledge if they are given enough of it. The ones who climb out the window and make babies are the ones whose parents are silly enough to refuse to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Wow. As a woman, I can't even begin to tell you how offensive that is. It assumes that women didn't ever want to have sex until the males convinced them it was OK. Until men decided to tell women it was OK to have sexuality without being labeled as a slut women didn't want any. Are you kidding? That is the ultimate in male arrogance. Our culture is way f up.

No kidding. There really are people who do not know birth control could fail. We have a brilliant idea that parents, who many times are more ignorant than their kids, should be teaching sexuality in the home vs the school teaching it. When I would write a prescription for a birth control pill to control nasty periods in a young teen (not for BC) I would do the teaching with the parent in the room so they knew what I was doing and why. I always talked about how periods worked and the risks/benefits of med INCLUDING the birth control part because even if they weren't having sex I wanted them informed. If they didn't have sex for 5 yrs people would assume they knew stuff because they were on the pill. Every time, every single time, the parent would say "Really? I didn't know that" at least once. And it wasn't something little that was news to them.
            Women (per social pressures) didn't want to ADMIT they wanted sex as much as men, given the double standards, etc etc.

It's a noble attempt at a flawed argument, and it is sexist in its angle.

I just get friggin' angry when people use abortion as birth control. That's not how it's supposed to work. Yes, the responsibility relies on both parties. I had a buddy in HS who actually broke up with his gf, b/c she had an abortion. He didn't believe in that (and NOT because of religious reasons), he was committed to her and their baby, and she didn't want the baby. He spelled it out for her, and still no go.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Brent how many people do you believe as a percentage of all those that have had abortions use it as an actual pre-planned form of birth control? As in, "He forgot to bring a a condom? F@@k it I'll just get an abortion next Tuesday....". And whatever % that is you still think that's enough reason for you to wish it illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Brent how many people do you believe as a percentage of all those that have had abortions use it as an actual pre-planned form of birth control? As in, "He forgot to bring a a condom? F@@k it I'll just get an abortion next Tuesday....". And whatever % that is you still think that's enough reason for you to wish it illegal?
                I think they DON'T think about the consquences, or anything but the sex at the time,and then, "Crap, I'm pregnant."
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I think it's clear the answer is "zero" in terms of people choosing it as a form of birth control, as opposed to something like birth control pills or a condom.

People just engage in the act and assume (hope?) no pregnancy will ensue. I do think that consciously or subconsciously women, and men, understand that if by unlucky chance a pregnancy does occur, taking the baby to term is not the only option. It's kind of like if all else fails, I do have that one, last out that I really don't want to exercise.

I've posted on here that I'm completely prochoice and I don't really see anything happening that will change that. However, a few days ago I happened to see an article in I think the Minneapolis paper that talked about the number of abortions that occurred in Minnesota annually, and how that number dipped to below 10,000, as I recall. I'm not sure why, but I was actually surprised there were that number of abortions in Minnesota annually. I would have guessed the number was a lot lower.

That caused me to look at the numbers nationally. The latest data I saw indicated there were about 700,000 abortions annually in the U.S., again a number that surprised me a bit, and that was just "reported" abortions. Probably ignorance on my part, but I really had no idea that many were occurring.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    I think it's clear the answer is "zero" in terms of people choosing it as a form of birth control, as opposed to something like birth control pills or a condom.

People just engage in the act and assume (hope?) no pregnancy will ensue. I do think that consciously or subconsciously women, and men, understand that if by unlucky chance a pregnancy does occur, taking the baby to term is not the only option. It's kind of like if all else fails, I do have that one, last out that I really don't want to exercise.

I've posted on here that I'm completely prochoice and I don't really see anything happening that will change that. However, a few days ago I happened to see an article in I think the Minneapolis paper that talked about the number of abortions that occurred in Minnesota annually, and how that number dipped to below 10,000, as I recall. I'm not sure why, but I was actually surprised there were that number of abortions in Minnesota annually. I would have guessed the number was a lot lower.

That caused me to look at the numbers nationally. The latest data I saw indicated there were about 700,000 abortions annually in the U.S., again a number that surprised me a bit, and that was just "reported" abortions. Probably ignorance on my part, but I really had no idea that many were occurring.
                    Are they counting plan B as abortions? Because that would drive the numbers up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Are they counting plan B as abortions? Because that would drive the numbers up quickly.
                      I also wonder if they're counting all the natural miscarriages.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I also wonder if they're counting all the natural miscarriages.
                        Nature is the Great Abortionist.

As Plan B-type drugs are refined I expect the number of abortion procedures to drop. Hopefully a Clinton administration will make women's health and sexual education a priority. Every* high school student has sex. No high school student wants a baby. For once, educators have an audience with an immediate self-interest in learning. Only the "pull the covers over our heads and pretend we're Victorians" BS of the last 30 years has prevented the virtual eradication of teenage pregnancy.

As for abortions that women in their 20s and 30s choose -- that is their legal right and tough sh-t if some people don't like it. I don't like it when two F-250s have parked on either side of me when I come out of the grocery store. Suck it up, mutter under your breath that they're a-holes, and move on.

(*Except Mathletes)
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          I think they DON'T think about the consquences, or anything but the sex at the time,and then, "Crap, I'm pregnant."
                          Hammer has met nail's head. Promiscuity meets irresponsibility. Unprotected feels so good, they say...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            That's a good question. Not sure if I know the answer.

I took the data from the CDC. http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/

It looks like in their FAQ's they define abortions to include ones performed using "medications", so I'm not sure if that includes plan B or not. Seems like it should. Also, they note that the CDC defines it in that way, but not all states may do the same in their reporting.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I highly doubt that Plan B pills taken could be considered in those abortion counts. In no way, shape or form could a woman know she's pregnant when taking Plan B. The two pills must be taken less than 24 hours after sex, and if the fertilized egg had implanted in the uterus at that time, the signals to the body have yet to be sent. It's called an "emergency contraceptive" for a reason. An abortion is not an contraceptive, it's an action taking place post-conception.

Many abortions can be performed with drugs, causing the woman's body to create what could be considered an unnatural miscarriage or sorts. Not all abortions require the use of sticking metallic instruments in a woman to excise the fetus.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                No high school student wants a baby.
                                Au contraire. I had a friend in high school who desperately wanted a baby - she worked in the nursery at our church and just loved babies that much. She had one, too, at age 16 - and then another, another, and her 4th at age 21, all with her husband. They now have 7, and are still happily married 25 years later.

Statistically, though, I recognize that she does not exist.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X