X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Yes, IMO. Recognizing mental illness has gone up (so that "cause" is rising), but cultural differences has widened. For example, gang activity/insta-fame status/etc.
    Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Nope. And it's not absurd.

I believe and agree with SJHovey back here: "As cold as it may sound, they may just be a part of living."

Bad (evil?) people will choose to do harm by whatever tool fits their whim, be it tear gas, gun, fire, sarin, ammonium nitrite ...

The laws we have now are good and should be enforced, but I do have a legal and moral right to self-defense (be it Second Amendment or Catholic Catechism 2264).
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Given that most of the rest of the industrialized world disagrees, I don't think you have a moral right to a gun. And legally, that can change with a differing interpretation of the second amendment.
    Was listening to a journalist who wrote a book about the evolution of concealed carry. Was fascinating. Made me think of this thread. He got interested when he had spent time out of country, came back to a country totally different, where it went from no one thinking it was a right or necessary or that we were under threat to a country where people were needing to carry to protect themselves and it was legal in all states.

In the 70's there was a shift in the NRA from telling people they need to be responsible, not everyone needs to carry and infact discouraging this thinking to the current- everyone should carry because they have a right and need to protect themselves. In the 30s the NRA was actively working against the very thing they advocate now. He was discussing the time line and shift in thinking/political mechanations, marketing that went on to get us where we are today. Not pro or anti gun. Just giving time line.

Kind of in line with what I was saying earlier- there is a cultural shift to paranoia where people need to protect themselves in case when before no one would have thought like that. Wish I could remember the guys name. I love the sociology that surrounds the issue.

Comment

Nope. And it's not absurd.

I believe and agree with SJHovey back here: "As cold as it may sound, they may just be a part of living."

Bad (evil?) people will choose to do harm by whatever tool fits their whim, be it tear gas, gun, fire, sarin, ammonium nitrite ...

The laws we have now are good and should be enforced, but I do have a legal and moral right to self-defense (be it Second Amendment or Catholic Catechism 2264).
      Who exactly is trying to get rid of your right to self defense? Are you intentionally trying to make your comments more and more ridiculous?
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Who exactly is trying to get rid of your right to self defense? Are you intentionally trying to make your comments more and more ridiculous?
        The Kenyan.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Who exactly is trying to get rid of your right to self defense?
          Ever heard of Sen. Diane Feinstein?
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I'm sorry. I missed one here: box cutters
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              I'm sorry. I missed one here: box cutters
              I like your use of the word whim. Perhaps they'd be less apt to use a gun on a whim if they couldn't get said gun on a whim.

(And sarin gas? Really? Do you think The Rock (movie, not wrestler) was a documentary? The only way to stop a bad guy with Sarin is with a good guy with sarin?)

Comment

(And sarin gas? Really? Do you think The Rock (movie, not wrestler) was a documentary? The only way to stop a bad guy with Sarin is with a good guy with sarin?)
                Yes, sarin. And you're not listening: Bad people will do bad things with whatever is available to them.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

... if they couldn't get said gun on a whim.
                  It's not easy to acquire a gun on a whim. A Chicago reporter tried and got denied.

The systems we have in place now work.

No system can stop a bad person determined to do harm.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

In response to reading posts of those who feel they must have a right to protect themselves and need the right to tote a gun everywhere-

If you were to think of this in a detached, non-reactionary way it is just fascinating. Until we got this 'right' to carry in the recent past, the common man did not feel the need or feel unsafe. We lived for most of the last century (and in most places for more than a century) without feeling we needed to carry a gun, feel like we needed to protect ourselves against the minute possibility of someone out to get us. Now our culture so different from the rest of the civilized world. They continue to feel mostly safe, don't go about worried in their daily life. We have many who feel we live in a country that is so uncivilized that we need a gun to be safe to live in it. Marketing is a b1tch. Say enough times we are all in mortal peril or at least we could be, so we must be prepared!!!1!1!1!! and need is created where there was none.

Reminds me of the cold war when we decided we would stockpile weapons to prevent attack. Seems like we figured out how to defuse that only to let that mentality trickle down to the common populace.

I think I asked before but don't remember a response- are there actual stats showing how likely it is you will need to use a gun? Are there any stats that show having one is protective? I don't mean anecdotal stories of one guy who saved the world but actual stats re how many assaults that were prevented v those where it wouldn't have mattered?

(feeling philosophical)

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      The Kenyan.
                      Is he The Muslin dude?
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Is he The Muslin dude?
                        Yeah. I think it's spelled doooood though.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yes, sarin. And you're not listening: Bad people will do bad things with whatever is available to them.
                          And yet you're arguing against making things less available to them.

Comment

Is he The Muslin dude?
                            Don't you mean Isalami?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

It's not easy to acquire a gun on a whim. A Chicago reporter tried and got denied.

The systems we have in place now work.
                              The evidence shows they don't. And if they did, you wouldn't be arguing that you need to pack heat everywhere you go for self defense.

Comment

And yet you're arguing against making things less available to them.
                                "Some bad person might say something bad so everyone should be made to shut up." It's the same logic.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X