Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Because I live in a large city and my neighbors house is six feet away.
    Are you really too lazy to walk six feet? I think people shooting near your house is the least of your problems.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Re: Days Since Last Mass Shooting: 0 - II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Are you really too lazy to walk six feet? I think people shooting near your house is the least of your problems.
    Dude probably thinks that if someone has one, it means he's going to get shot. Remember, we're dealing with people that think firearms have a mind of their own. That's the only explanation I have for why they constantly blame the gun when it comes to these things instead of the person.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Inspired by Actual Events

fwiw, I think it's good to have the Infowars point of view posting in here as Flagdude, as a way to help us all understand all views. That doesn't mean it will ever become worthwhile to argue with him. I recommend either reading it and leaving it alone, or just ignore it.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    fwiw, I think it's good to have the Infowars point of view posting in here as Flagdude, as a way to help us all understand all views. That doesn't mean it will ever become worthwhile to argue with him. I recommend either reading it and leaving it alone, or just ignore it.
    Same here.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    That makes sense in a city/suburb/town/etc. But out in the country, you can hear a gunshot from miles away. If you apply that reasoning, you're pretty much eliminating hunting in very rural areas.
    My family owns a lot of rural property and we do hunt, I guess I was thinking that none of the nearby farms cared. It's not like we were shooting semi automatics.
    My family is 90% bow hunting now though so even less shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post

Exactly. Trying to understand people you don't agree with is always good. What should be said is actually trying to understand them.
    Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
    bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Not lazy, just concerned what they are doing in their tiny yard and the possibility of getting hit. It's not normal here to be shooting guns in the middle of the city block.

Generic Catchy Message
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
    Exactly. Trying to understand people you don't agree with is always good. What should be said is actually trying to understand them.
    Is it worth putting forth the effort when they only want to communicate through Wingdings? All the other fonts to choose from but they insist the most obnoxious is the only one worth using.

Internet Nutcase

Second, accidental shootings, usually involving kids or some form of idiocy.
    we just had an "accidental" shooting where a toddler found a loaded handgun (safety off) in her father's backpack and accidentally shot herself

On one facebook post of the story of the by a local TV station the comments were filled with "I hope the father doesn't blame himself" and "this was a freak accident" -- uh, no. It was entirely preventable and the dumb *** father should blame himself.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
    What should be said is actually trying to understand them.
    Somebody (Twain?) had the great quote, "the greatest error in communication is that it has occurred."

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    On one facebook post of the story of the by a local TV station the comments were filled with "I hope the father doesn't blame himself" and "this was a freak accident" -- uh, no. It was entirely preventable and the dumb *** father should blame himself.
    Yep, that's up there with the tornado that kills 50 people and "we just thank god it didn't kill more." Right, or, if you have a omnipotent invisible friend, maybe blame him for wiping out those people?

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I know I've posted it on here, but I have a friend that took a gun safety class and bought a handgun for home defense (why, I don't really know -- half my neighbors don't bother locking their doors) -- the "instructor" (and the person he purchased the gun from) was someone that my friends husband met at work. He didn't believe in using the safety on a gun, because it could take too long to turn off. He also wouldn't walk to the mailbox at the end of his driveway without a loaded gun, and had loaded guns stashed all over his house (with the safety off, I'm sure). His wife also carried a loaded gun in her purse (safety off!!). This nut-job is out there teaching other people about "gun safety" (my friend and his husband are smart enough to know this guy is a nut-job).
    Along with other misconceptions already posted about various gun functions here, I'd guess the safety thing for this dude is related to the fact that modern handguns, (Glocks for example) are not equipped with safeties at all. One reason these are popular is in fact the notion that turning off the safety (as on a 1911 type gun) is one more step you have to remember to perform while under extreme pressure. They are quite safe to carry in a proper holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    My family owns a lot of rural property and we do hunt, I guess I was thinking that none of the nearby farms cared. It's not like we were shooting semi automatics.
    My family is 90% bow hunting now though so even less shooting.
    I think in rural areas, you're going to have a hard time finding people that care about hearing gunshots. It is probably hard to imagine for people that don't have the experience of living in an area like that, or for people that don't hunt, but it really is just a normal thing, especially during hunting season.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Along with other misconceptions already posted about various gun functions here, I'd guess the safety thing for this dude is related to the fact that modern handguns, (Glocks for example) are not equipped with safeties at all. One reason these are popular is in fact the notion that turning off the safety (as on a 1911 type gun) is one more step you have to remember to perform while under extreme pressure. They are quite safe to carry in a proper holster.
    The 9mm handgun that I have doesn't have a safety. I wish it did. Turning on and off the safety whenever I shoot a gun is just second nature to me at this point, I don't even have to think about it, it is essentially muscle memory. Many gun people would admonish me for this, but since it doesn't have a safety, I don't keep a round chambered. I am not comfortable with having a gun around without a safety and a round chambered, even if it is always locked in my safe. If I ever do need to use it, god forbid, if someone breaks into my house, or something like that, I just know that the first thing I need to do is chamber a round.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

I think in rural areas, you're going to have a hard time finding people that care about hearing gunshots. It is probably hard to imagine for people that don't have the experience of living in an area like that, or for people that don't hunt, but it really is just a normal thing, especially during hunting season.
    I agree, I was thinking that for people who shoot on their property no one cares, hence why I said I didn't think hunters need silencers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Is it worth putting forth the effort when they only want to communicate through Wingdings? All the other fonts to choose from but they insist the most obnoxious is the only one worth using.
    That may need an infographic on. My personal favorite font is college.
    Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.

Yeah. Grew up in rural northern MN. Haven't shot a gun in probably 20 years (and have no desire to own/shoot one), but live in the country and hearing gun shots isn't something that crosses my mind to worry about.

The 9mm handgun that I have doesn't have a safety. I wish it did. Turning on and off the safety whenever I shoot a gun is just second nature to me at this point, I don't even have to think about it, it is essentially muscle memory. Many gun people would admonish me for this, but since it doesn't have a safety, I don't keep a round chambered. I am not comfortable with having a gun around without a safety and a round chambered, even if it is always locked in my safe. If I ever do need to use it, god forbid, if someone breaks into my house, or something like that, I just know that the first thing I need to do is chamber a round.
    The exact same way my family and I feel. I would never feel comfortable carrying a gun with a round in the chamber and no safety. It's the one thing about glocks I would change.

Can't wait until frauddy tells St. Clown that their friend didn't actually get shot and it was a government hoax (assuming he hasn't done that yet).
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 10-02-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Can't wait until frauddy tells UNOfan that their friend didn't actually get shot and it was a government hoax (assuming that hasn't happened yet).
    ? How'd I get brought into this?

Thread Information