Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-2017 Tradition and Promise

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    I was hoping Brooke would stick it out but I know she was swimming up Witt's stream.......best of luck to her! Do you know where she is transferring too? Will she keep playing?
    I've heard she will be playing for Syracuse next season, potentially with 3 years of eligibility because of her redshirt season. As for 3skaters, I'm not sure exactly either, I had heard from a few people there was some tension between them, but not entirely sure of the circumstances. Seems like this may have been the case for the other players as well, others may have more information on what has happened over there

Comment

Let's just say Brooke and Coach didn't get along......Brooke, I hope you have as much fun and success at Syracuse that Jenn Gilligan did after she transferred......Keep in mind folks that this will be the first year of players that Coach Witt has chosen herself.....even 2 years after arriving, the sand is still settling for Coach Witt......remember she came into a real mess, so despite some changes, we're all hoping the Wildcats have a great year! This year, home ice and then some........

Comment

Let's just say Brooke and Coach didn't get along......Brooke, I hope you have as much fun and success at Syracuse that Jenn Gilligan did after she transferred......Keep in mind folks that this will be the first year of players that Coach Witt has chosen herself.....even 2 years after arriving, the sand is still settling for Coach Witt......remember she came into a real mess, so despite some changes, we're all hoping the Wildcats have a great year! This year, home ice and then some........
        In my humble opinion (formed watching her play many years for Assabet Valley), while she is a very nice person I feel that Avery is generally over-rated as a player. She does not successfully use her size to her advantage and under-produces as a result - her first year results at UNH seem to support that. Perhaps Witt felt the same. It will be interesting to see if she is any more successful at Syracuse than at UNH - wouldn't rule it out with the right coaching and maybe a change in attitude. Good luck to her.

Comment

I agree with your assessment HE33.......I'm still waiting for someone with that size, to come in, play like, and emulate Maggie Joyce! She was a 10, given this week's Rio games! I loved watching her use her wingspan and dominate behind the boards...

Comment

http://unhwildcats.com/news/2016/8/1...s-of-2020.aspx Welcome ladies to Wildcat Country!

Comment

Given the way things have gone lately for the hockey programs at UNH, I'm not surprised at not having seen any social media notification on this but for all the Ladies that love hockey and helped to make the women's program at UNH one of the country's premier program at the time, Happy Birthday! In celebrating your 42 Birthday, you should be very proud of the legacy you started and left at UNH and in the country!

Comment

So UNH Women's Hockey is starting their 43 year! Pretty cool I'd say but that's like the Western states thinking that the 1800's is old! When you're dealing with 1623, as in Portsmouth, you tend to respect age differently and with more reverence.....alas, no time to quip now as the season is quickly upon us! It'll be interesting to see what Coach Witt's first recruiting class can do.......Kyra Smith was strong last year and she'll need to be that x2 at least......what we saw of Hilary Cashin was good but not enough for an eval yet........I guess it boils down to what puckchecker said above, it'll depend on returning goal production, and aside from Jonna Curtis, there's plenty of room for someone to step up and prove themselves! Defense with MJ Pelletier, Jenna Rheault, Schlagel, Fedeski and Forster provide some earned stability given their time together so hopefully the D-zone will be stable, and Coach will have to find some help for JC to balance out the team......we will get home ice this year for the playoffs!! Most of you will have seen this in the other thread and I apologize but wanted to try and get the UNH posters excited and back into the game quickly.......Go Cats!

Comment

When is a loss a win, or close to it? When you go on the road to a ranked opponent, who is having a "Grand Opening" of their new rink, who have lost but 3 players from last year's team......when UNH has been on the ice for just 2 weeks, and has but one senior, even though that one senior is Jonna Curtis, and 7 freshman, 7 sophomore, and 6 juniors! Of course there were early season issues that one can ***** about but given that the refs in the ECAC love being part of the game, and took a goal away from UNH that would've made it 3-0, credit should be given to Colgate for fighting for an important win for their program! Remember when UNH best BU to open Lake Whitt? It matters to a team......so now it's up to the Wildcats to come out as hard and as aggressive as they did today! Strong D-zone play, keep driving the net, and try to stay out of the eyeline of the refs!! A strong road game by the Wildcats to start the season! Go Cats!🏒🏒🏒👍🏻🖖

Comment

Just to put a wrap on the weekend, another gritty, close checking affair today with Colgate winning 3-1.....my biggest takeaway is that despite the newness of the year, UNH will have to learn how to score! Sure the lines are experimental at this point, but too many shots off net, thrown into bodies without thought........that said, the freshman were very impressive and showed their individual strengths that brought them to Durham......also impressive was the defense! Again early season mistakes will fade as the D-corp gets to know each other.....lest but not least, both Smith and Cashin proved that aside from the odd puck bounce, they are solid, well positioned backstops, and have their teammates trust......So year 43 for UNH Women's Hockey is off and running! I for one am looking forward to a good year ahead.......home ice, and then stealing some wins! Welcome 2016-17 Wildcats......🏒🏒🏒🏒🏒👍🏻😉

Comment

Updated info regarding UNH recruits:

University of New Hampshire 2017-18 BOUTILIER, Ava G Atlantic U18 (PEITC)
                      University of New Hampshire 2017-18 CHO, Trisha D Burlington Jr. Barracudas (PWHL)
                      University of New Hampshire 2017-18 MIDDLETON, Grace F Detroit Little Caesars U16 (T1U16)
                      University of New Hampshire 2017-18 PEPPES, Martha F Mass Spitfires U19 (USTour)
                      University of New Hampshire 2017-18 RYNNE, Paige F Brantford Ice Cats Midget AA (LLMAA)
                      University of New Hampshire 2017-18 SASAKI, Ellie F Brampton Jr Canadettes (PWHL)
                      University of New Hampshire 2017-18 SCAMMELL, Julia D Subway Northern Storm Midget (NSFMHL)

University of New Hampshire 2018-19 DUMOND, Lindsey F Assabet Blue U19 (USTour)
                      University of New Hampshire 2018-19 MARTIN, Lauren F Cambridge Rivulettes (PWHL)
                      University of New Hampshire 2018-19 PALUMBO, Victoria D East Coast Wizards U16 (NEWJHL)
                      University of New Hampshire 2018-19 RICKWOOD, Emily D Brantford Ice Cats Midget AA (LLMAA)
                      University of New Hampshire 2018-19 WARREN, Talli D Rothesay Netherwood School (NAPHA)

University of New Hampshire 2019-20 BRETON, Raeanne D Durham West Lightning AA (LLMAA)
                      University of New Hampshire 2019-20 CHRISTIAN, Jada F Oakville Hornets Midget AA (LLMAA)
                      University of New Hampshire 2019-20 HARNETT, Nicole G Minnesota Machine (USA)
                      University of New Hampshire 2019-20 KELLY, Nicole F Brantford Ice Cats Midget AA (LLMAA)
                      Last edited by whoop87; 11-04-2016, 12:11 PM. Reason: Added 1 more recruit
                      THINK PINK
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Thanks Whoop87 for the update.......I have no idea what next year will bring, let alone 3 years away!!
                        As for this weekend's games, given the bus breakdown and therefore the late start vs BU, I really can't comment on a game when seeing one period.....(You get up at 3:30 a.m.!) But in Saturday's game vs. Quinni, UNH looked great! Cashin in nets is very sublime, and makes her saves look very nonchalant......again the Wildcats came to play and had the game 0-0 going into the third......a bad D-zone left Cashin alone vs 2 Quinni players for the 2nd goal and an empty netter made it 3-0......so aside from putting the puck home, UNH looked pretty good in it's opening games vs. #'s 8, 9 and 3.......Onward!

Comment

Tonight's Merrimack game is the first that UNH is not playing a National top 10 team......and it showed in the way that the Wildcats played.....the Wildcats again played with vigor and jump in their skating, but they did seem to be a bit more organized in their systematic play! Of course 6 games in now they should be showing more in that respect but the prerequisite line shifting seemed to come up with some good combinations.....of course Jonna Curtis scoring 2/3 of the night's goals doesn't seem representative of that but with freshman Carlee Turner and Meghara McManus scoring their first Wildcat goals, it showed the freshman class quality and gave the home crowd a much needed belief that this squad just might be able to turn the corner for the program! Plenty of season and games to go but it was nice to see parents and friends smiling and standing that much straighter.......kudos to Hilary Cashin in nets with her first UNH win as well! Next up 2 home games vs Clarkson.......we'll see what all the hubbub is about then! Way to go Wildcats!

Comment

The 3rd period meltdowns are from trying to play 2 lines. By the middle of the 3rd period the 1st, 2nd, lines are smoked. Factoring in those players on Power play and PK they must play 85% of the game. Power play is 2/24 8%. Have to convert on PP in women's hockey--many PP don't even get shots on goal or are poor angle perimeter shots and or blocked. Also noticed players routinely taking 1:25-2:00 shifts. That won't work.

Comment

Totally agree! 100%.....now if there was someway we could get Coach Witt to read that post! That is her motes operandi for the past 2 years......she rides her thoroughbreds all season. I'm hoping that since this year's freshman are showing such potential, she will react to her new situation......

Comment

Totally agree! 100%.....now if there was someway we could get Coach Witt to read that post! That is her motes operandi for the past 2 years......she rides her thoroughbreds all season. I'm hoping that since this year's freshman are showing such potential, she will react to her new situation......
                                Lol. Here, fix your post: modus operandi

Comment

Working...
                                X