UNH Wildcats 2016-2017 Tradition and Promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2016-2017 Tradition and Promise

Thought I'd start the new season off on a positive note as the 1997 - 1998 Women's Hockey team, who one the first National Championship are inducted into the UNH Athletic Hall of Fame.

1997-1998 Women's Ice Hockey

The American Women's College Hockey Alliance instituted a national championship in 1998 and the Wildcats, under coach Karen Kay and led by All Americans Brandy Fisher and Nicki Luongo, grabbed the first title at the FleetCenter in Boston.

UNH beat Minnesota, 4-1, in the semifinals and knocked off Brown by the same score in the championship game.

The Wildcats won the ECAC regular season title with an 18-1-3 record and finished with a 31-5-3 record, setting a program mark for wins.

"They year was unbelievable," said Carisa Zaban, a defenseman on the team. "One loss in the league the whole year. It's so weird to think it was almost 20 years ago."

Zaban, now the women's hockey coach at Lake Forest College in Lake Forest, Ill., on the North Shore of Chicago, had a slightly different take on the season and championship than her teammates.

She hurt her knee in an exhibition game against the United States National team before the season began and had to sit out the year.

"It was a different perspective," she said. "I was able to watch every game from up top in the arena and that was pretty cool. It helped me realize how much I loved the sport. It was a great year and fun to watch. Watching in Boston and then coming out onto the ice afterwards was exciting."

Besides winning All American honors along with Luongo, Fisher was named the inaugural winner of the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award that is presented to the best player in women's college hockey. She also was honored as the ECAC Player of the Year.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-2017 Tradition and Promise

I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago now. UNH Hockey's first and only national championship.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I understand we don't have a huge history of National Championships, but in 1985, UNH beat Maryland 6-5 in women's lacrosse to win the NCAA Championship.......alas you were right Chuck in regards to hockey but I thought I'd give props to the lacrosse team while we're at it....🏆👍🏻🖖

Comment

Women's 16-17 schedule.........http://www.unhwildcats.com/schedule....y.........will enjoy seeing Quinni and Clarkson at Lake Whitt!

Comment

Re-posting this info here regarding UNH recruits:

University of New Hampshire 2016-17 CHAPMAN, Abigail F Detroit Honeybaked U19 (HPHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2016-17 DUNBAR, Nicole F CIH Academy U19 (JWHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2016-17 HOWRAN, Victoria D Whitby Jr. Wolves (PWHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2016-17 MCMANUS, Meghara F
          University of New Hampshire 2016-17 REVKIN, Alexis F NAHA
          University of New Hampshire 2016-17 TOUZOS, Hannah F Mass Spitfires U19 (USTour)
          University of New Hampshire 2016-17 TURNER, Carlee F NAHA

University of New Hampshire 2017-18 BOUTILIER, Ava G Atlantic U18 (PEITC)
          University of New Hampshire 2017-18 CHO, Trisha D Burlington Jr. Barracudas (PWHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2017-18 MIDDLETON, Grace F Detroit Little Caesars U16 (T1U16)
          University of New Hampshire 2017-18 PEPPES, Martha F Mass Spitfires U19 (USTour)
          University of New Hampshire 2017-18 RYNNE, Paige F Brantford Ice Cats Midget AA (LLMAA)
          University of New Hampshire 2017-18 SASAKI, Ellie F Brampton Jr Canadettes (PWHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2017-18 SCAMMELL, Julia D Subway Northern Storm Midget (NSFMHL)

University of New Hampshire 2018-19 MARTIN, Lauren F Cambridge Rivulettes (PWHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2018-19 PALUMBO, Victoria D East Coast Wizards U16 (NEWJHL)
          University of New Hampshire 2018-19 RICKWOOD, Emily D Brantford Ice Cats Midget AA (LLMAA)
          University of New Hampshire 2018-19 WARREN, Talli D Rothesay Netherwood School (NAPHA)

University of New Hampshire 2019-20 HARNETT, Nicole G Minnesota Machine (USA)
          University of New Hampshire 2019-20 KELLY, Nicole F Brantford Ice Cats Midget AA (LLMAA)
          Last edited by whoop87; 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM. Reason: Added 1 new recruit
          THINK PINK
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Whoop87, do you know anything of the backgrounds for the recruits? Are there any transfers given the late season event? Easier to ask than google them all.....🤓🏒🏒👍🏻🐶🖖

Comment

Also, I'd be remise if I didn't post that Kristina LaVoie, Ti, has signed a free agent contract with the Buffalo Beauts! 👏👏👏👏 Ti played for the Wildcats 2009-2013, and was always a fan favorite, as she always had time for the fans, and her teammates! I'm sure Jacques and Mona are very happy to once again be visiting a rink to watch Ti pull her spinarama while driving the net! Congrats Ti!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                Whoop87, do you know anything of the backgrounds for the recruits? Are there any transfers given the late season event? Easier to ask than google them all.....🤓🏒🏒👍🏻🐶🖖
                What do you mean by "are there any transfers given the late season event?" What event is it that you are referring to?

Comment

A couple of players left after the season.......I believe Vilgrain, Wilkes and Boucher, but I have no confirmation from UNH

Comment

A couple of players left after the season.......I believe Vilgrain, Wilkes and Boucher, but I have no confirmation from UNH
                    If fact, I would consider the above significant losses for UNH. Boucher was a consistent performer for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                      If fact, I would consider the above significant losses for UNH. Boucher was a consistent performer for the team.
                      http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/news/20...liar-name.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        Well, yeah - 2 of the top 5 scorers from last season (and 1 of the other top 5 graduated). Wilkes not such a big loss - barely played which is probably why she left.

What the heck happened to chase all this talent away....?

Comment

Brooke Avery also leaving UNH

Comment

I was hoping Brooke would stick it out but I know she was swimming up Witt's stream.......best of luck to her! Do you know where she is transferring too? Will she keep playing?

Comment

I was hoping Brooke would stick it out but I know she was swimming up Witt's stream.......best of luck to her! Do you know where she is transferring too? Will she keep playing?
                              Is it normal to lose that many players during the off season? What does "swimming up Witts stream" mean? Are these players not the style the coach wanted or what is going on?

Comment

Working...
                              X