Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

I've been close to an ace three times. Two that I saw with my own two eyes, and one that I'm told lipped out of the cup by someone on the next tee, as the cup was hidden by a bunker.

The first one was with a utility wood on my first shot of the day. We started off on #10 on this particular course, which is a 170 yard par 3. The shot was okay, but the ball kept rolling and rolling, and died about 2 inches from the cup. The maintenance man was waiting for us to play the hole so he could do God knows what, so he saw the thing close up.

The second one was a mess. It was a 115 yard par 3, and I happened to blade my wedge, hitting it about a whopping 4 feet off the ground. Somehow this thing hit the stick, hit the flag itself, and dropped less than a foot away. *shrug*

The first two were on the same course. The third one was on another course, on a 180 yard par 3. Another rescue club that I hit right where I wanted, for once. There was a ridge short and to the right of the green, with a bunker right of that, and if you hit that ridge, the ball would funnel down to the usual pin placement if you catch it right. Apparently I did. I hit the shot, and couldn't see how good it was until I got to the green. Someone on the next tee told me that it lipped out, but I still had about 10 feet of work. The other two wound up as birdies. This time I managed to three-putt the **** thing for a bogey.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      I've been close to an ace three times. Two that I saw with my own two eyes, and one that I'm told lipped out of the cup by someone on the next tee, as the cup was hidden by a bunker.

The first one was with a utility wood on my first shot of the day. We started off on #10 on this particular course, which is a 170 yard par 3. The shot was okay, but the ball kept rolling and rolling, and died about 2 inches from the cup. The maintenance man was waiting for us to play the hole so he could do God knows what, so he saw the thing close up.

The second one was a mess. It was a 115 yard par 3, and I happened to blade my wedge, hitting it about a whopping 4 feet off the ground. Somehow this thing hit the stick, hit the flag itself, and dropped less than a foot away. *shrug*

The first two were on the same course. The third one was on another course, on a 180 yard par 3. Another rescue club that I hit right where I wanted, for once. There was a ridge short and to the right of the green, with a bunker right of that, and if you hit that ridge, the ball would funnel down to the usual pin placement if you catch it right. Apparently I did. [B]I hit the shot, and couldn't see how good it was until I got to the green. Someone on the next tee told me that it lipped out, but I still had about 10 feet of work. The other two wound up as birdies. This time I managed to three-putt the **** thing for a bogey[/B].
      And that is part of the cruel but enchanting soul of golf. A near hole-in-one turns into a bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        And that is part of the cruel but enchanting soul of golf. A near hole-in-one turns into a bogey.
        The problem is, I've done that far too many times (the three-putt for bogey).

I've had two eagles on par 4's, and then I go and do this.

This game is witchcraft sometimes.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Well here's the deal on this particular scramble. it was a charity, and it was cheap at 100 bucks. They did the line on the fairway game and your typical other games. I drove it 290 on the longest drive hole( which is pretty good for over 60) and lost. We had the 2 putt rule. 1 putt and pick up the second. In the critique I said I thought the gain in time spent was minimal and that I would not have implemented the rule since you wait on the next tee most of the time anyway. I got ripped by the organizer who said everyone does it and I should know that and she sent that e mail to every member of the organizing committee.
          As far as frustrating shots. I was playing match play last year and I'm up by two holes with three to play. I'm on the green in two looking at a 10 ft birdie putt. My opponent is 50 ft off the green down a steep hill, in the rough. He hits it thin, it hits the flag on the fly and drops in. I miss the putt, and lose the hole and he ends up winning by one.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            Ouch. I've witnessed 6 aces and one was by my dad when I was about 8 years old. I have come close a handful of times but no cigar. Closest was up in northern Wisconsin during Memorial Day weekend at Trout Lake golf course. Frickin snowing out to boot. Thought it went in but curled behind the pin 2 inches.
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Mookie has 3

They are all luck, obviously
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Playing in a scramble for my College's football team was the only ace I've ever gotten. Every year they had a new car as the hole-in-one prize............except that year. They were going to give out a TV as the prize but when I hit the clubhouse the organizer told me they didn't think anyone would get an ace so they didn't have anything to award me. I "donated" the price of a TV to the college and got the tax write off.
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  The problem is, I've done that far too many times (the three-putt for bogey).

I've had two eagles on par 4's, and then I go and do this.

This game is witchcraft sometimes.
                  This. It reminds me of one of the craziest rounds I have had on my home course. I have a draw, and for the life of me, I can't hit a fade. The first hole is a Par-4, right around 400 yards, sharp dog-leg right. I hit my drive, and of course, the draw comes out and I'm behind a tree about 150 yards out. I can't see the green, but I hit my shot, and I knew it was online, but I thought I caught a flyer. I get up to the green and we're all looking around beyond the green because I told my group that I thought it was long. After about 2-3 minutes, one of the guys in our group asks if I'm playing a yellow ball (I play yellow Srixon Z-stars), and he is staring into the cup. Sure enough, it had gone in for the eagle. The second hole is about a 525 yard Par-5, and I play it beautifully, and nearly eagle it, but tap in for birdie to go 3 under after 2 holes. I par the next 3, then birdie the short Par-4 6th (it's like 320 yards or so) to get to 4 under. I bogey the Par-3 7th, then birdie the Par-5 8th and Par-4 9th for a 31, 5 under on the Front 9. My best score ever up to this point had been a 75, and we stop in the clubhouse to grab snacks and drinks. The 10th is the hardest hole on the course, as it goes out about 200 yards, and then dog-legs hard right for about another 350 yards with water on both sides. I hit a 7 iron to 190 in the center of the fairway, then play a 5-iron 225 yards up the right hand side of the fairway. My third is sitting about 125 yards out, and I couldn't have placed my PW much better. I have about 6 feet uphill for another birdie...lip it out, and I tap in for par...okay, nothing to get too beat up about, I'm still in great shape through the hardest hole. Then the wheels absolutely fell off. I went 9 over the next 4 holes, as my draw was not drawing (I was just blocking everything to the right). I made par on 15, and then birdied the 16th after a beautiful drive set me up about 20 yards in front of the green. I par 17, and get to 18 needing a birdie to break my all-time best score. It's about a 420 yard Par-4, and my drive goes about 275 right down the middle. I hit my 9 on the back of the green, and I had about 20 feet for birdie. It's a downhill putt that I miss-hit, and blow it past about 8 feet. I then lip out my par putt, and tap in the bogey for the typical 31-45-76.

Witchcraft indeed.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

And Sic, let's be honest: you would have found a way to weasel out of drinks.
                    The guys I was with there'd be no weaseling.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

One of my hole-in-one stories is more ironic than cruel.

Jim Adelson, the local sports guy on the CBS station in Fargo and a bit of a local legend, hosted a hole-in-one show on Sunday evenings back in the 1970's and early 1980's. Ran at 10:30 p.m., after the local news. Each week three contestants would be shown hitting three shots from 150 yards, attempting to get a hole-in-one. The closest to the pin each evening came back for the end of the year contest, and as I recall you had a chance to win a new car.

Qualifying for the show was in May at the Edgewood golf course in Fargo. Three shots for $5. It was a cattle call. I think it was something like the 24 closest shots qualified. Filming of the episodes was a week or two later.

Three buddies and I went to Fargo to try to qualify. I was horrible. Not even sure I was within 30 feet on any of my shots, and I spent more than $5. One of my buddies did qualify, however.

After we were done we decided that since we were in Fargo, we should go down to Oxbow Country Club and play, one of our favorite courses. The old sixth hole, now the 15th I think, was essentially an island green that played about 165 yards that day. That hole used to eat me up. Of course, I got a hole-in-one, my second.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        I have made 1 albatross ...
                        I'm not a big hitter so I'll probably never go double-eagle; however, I sky'd an eagle on #7 at Ray Richards (RIP). Facepalm drive to one hundred out; straight up, straight down, straight in. From my angle I thought I'd plugged behind the green at first.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          I'm not a big hitter so I'll probably never go double-eagle; however, I sky'd an eagle on #7 at Ray Richards (RIP). Facepalm drive to one hundred out; straight up, straight down, straight in. From my angle I thought I'd plugged behind the green at first.
                          I'm not that big of a hitter either (in ND, I drive it probably 250-260 on average), but altitude adds probably about 20 yards to my drives. Throw in an elevated tee and a nice breeze, and 300 is not too much of a problem.

If you have never played at altitude, it's a lot of fun. Of course, whenever I get back to play in ND, I always seem to forget that I need to pretty much club up on all my shots. For whatever reason, it takes me about 2-3 holes to figure out why all my shots are coming up short.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            Of course, whenever I get back to play in ND, ...
                            I lived in the east for a while. The big change for me moving back to ND was the wind. I pulled some loft out of the bag and tried to add distance. I found that if I use my driver set-up and swing I can hit a 1-iron from a fairway. It's a better choice than a lofted fairway wood on too many days.

Yes, I now carry a 1- and 2- iron and no sand wedge or 5-wood on windy* days.

*Understand your definition and my definition of "windy" probably is not the same.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

1 ace here. Was actually a good shot, not a fluke or anything. Happened in Men's league, when I used to play much more than I do now, so the bar tab was enormous. Exactly 1 week later, on the same hole, also in league, I almost got another one, had about a 2 inch putt for a birdie that day. Have gotten within a foot one or two other times.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                I lived in the east for a while. The big change for me moving back to ND was the wind. I pulled some loft out of the bag and tried to add distance. I found that if I use my driver set-up and swing I can hit a 1-iron from a fairway. It's a better choice than a lofted fairway wood on too many days.

Yes, I now carry a 1- and 2- iron and no sand wedge or 5-wood on windy* days.

*Understand your definition and my definition of "windy" probably is not the same.
                                FWIW, I spent the first 25 years of my life in North Dakota, so my definition of "windy" is probably pretty close to the same...somewhere above 20-25 mph. Anything less and its just a little breezy. That being said, we very rarely have windy days up here, so it doesn't affect my game too much...fortunately.

I don't carry a 5-wood, as I hit my 4 or 5 iron just as long and far more accurate. I honestly probably shouldn't carry a 3-wood either. I hit it maybe once/round, and I'm not terribly good with the club either. I do carry 4 wedges (PW (~130-135 yards), AW (~120-125 yards), 54 degree (~110 yards; around the green), and 60 degree (~100 yards; around the green)), and the standard 4-9 irons. I also carry an Adams 2-iron super hybrid that I hit long punch shots with (everything else, I hook badly, for whatever reason). I can consistently get about 160-180 yards with that shot, so I use it a lot when I need to get under a tree or if it is windy. Throw in the driver and the putter, and that gets me my 14 in the bag. I used to carry an Adams 4-iron hybrid as well, and it sounded like a little league home run whenever I hit it. I ditched it though when I got a new set of irons a couple of years ago and found that I could hit a standard 4-iron further and more accurate.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X