Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    It's an island country bro in the Gulf. If you see a low temp under 85F or humidity not hovering around 70% it'll be a miracle. Also don't look to the Gulf for a refreshing dip to cool off as it'll be hot and salty as s**t. Other than that it's great.
    will have access to bacon and booze. plan to enjoy those in the comforts of AC

mookie has played golf in the florida summers. will just bring an extra glove or 3! (and hope to finish in under 3hrs )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Here's a question for all you guys that play a lot of scrambles. I played in two this season so far. one had a rule that if your group didn't make the first putt, pick it up as the second one was a gimmee. The other played the rules straight. You putt until you're done. ostensibly the reason for the pick up is to hasten play. Both outings this year took between 5 hours and 5 30 to play. the pick it up outing took longer.
      so the question is, has anyone else encountered these rules and what's the consensus? I'm not a fan of the pick up because it seems to tighten the distance in scores whereas I'd rather see a larger spread in scores. Comments?
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Here's a question for all you guys that play a lot of scrambles. I played in two this season so far. one had a rule that if your group didn't make the first putt, pick it up as the second one was a gimmee. The other played the rules straight. You putt until you're done. ostensibly the reason for the pick up is to hasten play. Both outings this year took between 5 hours and 5 30 to play. the pick it up outing took longer.
        so the question is, has anyone else encountered these rules and what's the consensus? I'm not a fan of the pick up because it seems to tighten the distance in scores whereas I'd rather see a larger spread in scores. Comments?
        We always putt out in the scrambles I've been in. CAVEAT: A 2 footer is a gimme.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The scrambles I've always played in have always made us putt out, with one exception. One year at a fundraiser for the local college's athletic department they put in a rule that once you got to par, that was it, because we teed off at 10 AM, and the prime rib was to hit the table at 4 PM sharp. Add in the fact that we had snacks and other, ummm, refreshments along the course, and there were a couple groups that barely made it in for dinner.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            Always putt out, but sometimes allow gimmies when within the leather and/or finish up out of turn (ie, your first guy misses the birdie putt by an inch, he knocks it in to guarantee the par, other 3 guys still putt for birdie)
            Last edited by unofan; 08-23-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

In my experience, the fundraisers for charitable organizations more often use the two putt rule, while those for athletic programs usually allow the players to putt out. Seems odd to say that, but that's what I recall.

I could care less which rule is followed. I'm there to donate and network a little, so having to wait a little to tee off or to hit onto the green isn't a problem. I like the way scrambles can give even the hackers a lot of chances to contribute to the foursome's success and the fun of the outing.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                did mookie really just see a multi-post discussion on rules in a scramble?!?!?!?!

we're talking about a-scramble?
                not the game.
                not the game.
                we're talking about a scramble?

Comment

All this talk about a scramble has me hungry for breakfast.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    did mookie really just see a multi-post discussion on rules in a scramble?!?!?!?!

we're talking about a-scramble?
                    not the game.
                    not the game.
                    we're talking about a scramble?

Is that your Jim Mora voice?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Is that your Jim Mora voice?
                      AI actually

Comment

Tuesday.
                        Land on green.
                        Roll to cup.
                        Hit stick.

Bounce out.

And I'd have had FOUR witnesses!

(And before someone says it, yes, I made the putt for a 2.)
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I've played in a charity scramble where you can buy:

- buy a Mulligan
                          - buy up to 3 feet of "silly string*"

*Say you leave the birdie putt 4 inches short. Cut 4 inches of string off your 3 feet and record the bird. When you're out of string (or don't have enough) you're putting par.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Tuesday.
                            Land on green.
                            Roll to cup.
                            Hit stick.

Bounce out.

That's frustrating. I've never hit a hole in one, but I've had similar scenarios to yours play out probably a handful of times. I have made 1 albatross though, which was probably more impressive than any hole in one that I may ever hit: Par 5, 565 Yards (with a nice breeze at my back, and playing at elevation here in Colorado ); drive it about 310 down the right hand side of the fairway; second shot from 255 over water, hit a 3-wood, landed on the fringe in front of the green, rolled all the way to the pin in the back, hit the stick and straight down.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Tuesday.
                              Land on green.
                              Roll to cup.
                              Hit stick.

Bounce out.

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              That's frustrating. I've never hit a hole in one, but I've had similar scenarios to yours play out probably a handful of times. I have made 1 albatross though, which was probably more impressive than any hole in one that I may ever hit: Par 5, 565 Yards (with a nice breeze at my back, and playing at elevation here in Colorado ); drive it about 310 down the right hand side of the fairway; second shot from 255 over water, hit a 3-wood, landed on the fringe in front of the green, rolled all the way to the pin in the back, hit the stick and straight down.
                              I'm not a good golfer, but I've hit two 1s. One was a pretty good shot with some help from a favorable bounce. The other was a double waiting to happen. Hit it thin on a rope towards the green, where it hit just above the lip of a front side bunker, bounced straight up about 10 feet, and rolled onto the green and in the cup. 6 inches lower and it would have plugged under the lip of the bunker; six inches higher and it would have gone 50 years past the green into the long grass.

Never seen an albatross, which is probably rarer than a 1.

And Sic, let's be honest: you would have found a way to weasel out of drinks.

Comment

I've played in a charity scramble where you can buy:

- buy a Mulligan
                                - buy up to 3 feet of "silly string*"

*Say you leave the birdie putt 4 inches short. Cut 4 inches of string off your 3 feet and record the bird. When you're out of string (or don't have enough) you're putting par.
                                I've never played the 3 feet of string rule, but most scrambles I've played in allow for the purchase of mulligans.

The other one I've encountered involves spray paint in a couple different instances:

1) On a par 3, you can bet that your shot ends up inside a circle painted on the green (the hole is obviously inside the circle). You then pay your money and hit your shot. If you're inside the circle, you win what you wager.

2) On a typical par 4 (350+ yards), there's a very squiggly line sprayed all over the place in the fairway, about 100-150 yards long, that you really can't see from the tee. Usually it's painted in yellow. The closest person to the squiggly line gets the money, much like a longest drive or closest to the pin competition. All provided that you hit the fairway, of course.
                                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X