Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Moore wins outright.

It's over.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Ryan Moore will close it out. Pretty great story there.
      Rather subdued celebration.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Rather subdued celebration.
        I think you would have seen more if he had made that putt.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          I think you would have seen more if he had made that putt.
          I think there will be a bit more when all the matches finish up, too.

Moore isn't exactly an intense, emotional player, either.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            I think there will be a bit more when all the matches finish up, too.

Moore isn't exactly an intense, emotional player, either.
            The presentation party will be epic and the post game party will be even better (between teams).

DJ closes out Wood 1up and Kaymer should make the final 17-11 (or 17.5 - 10.5)
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Definitely wanna go in 4 years at Whistling Straits.

Have my name in for tickets.
              I would definitely go. Even if you don't get tickets from the lottery system, (which if the experience of me, my friends and family is any indication, you won't), buy them on the secondary market. I bought mine about two weeks before the event from PrimeSport, the official re-sale vendor, and got them for just a few bucks over face value.

It was a spectacular experience. It's actually a bad experience if you want to watch the matches. We ended up moving back and forth between seats behind #5 green, seats behind #8 green and standing halfway down #16 fairway. But other than watching play on the jumbotron or following it on your phone, it's pretty tough to tell what exactly is going on elsewhere on the course.

But if you want to feel electricity in 40-50,000 people at a sporting event, there is nothing like it.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              No
              This crowd is worse
              I was a little surprised to hear about crowd problems. The closest I saw to anyone getting out of line was when a fan yelled "noonan" as a player was removing his mark from behind his ball on #5. The rest of the crowd booed the fan.

Obviously, having a crowd cheer shots that go into the water or sand or over the green isn't the norm at a golf tournament, but this isn't a normal golf event. From my limited observation points (see above), what I saw was mostly enthusiastic and good-natured.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That Reed/Rory match as awesome. One of the best things I've seen in years.

Complaints about the fans are BS. Its the Ryder Cup, this is the way it is supposed to be. And its the same whether it is here or in Europe. That is part of what makes this tournament so different and so much fun.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It was a spectacular experience. It's actually a bad experience if you want to watch the matches. We ended up moving back and forth between seats behind #5 green, seats behind #8 green and standing halfway down #16 fairway. But other than watching play on the jumbotron or following it on your phone, it's pretty tough to tell what exactly is going on elsewhere on the course.

But if you want to feel electricity in 40-50,000 people at a sporting event, there is nothing like it.

Went to the PGA last year at W.S. and I understand what you mean. We camped on a couple different holes and just watched the groups come through and as you say, had no idea what was going on elsewhere.

Was cool to see all the guys go through and I think the only notable we missed last year was Spieth as he went through in the morning.

We've already been strategizing on how we can maximize our viewing... start on 4 and watch them go through and then skin it to 10 and then 16.

Hoping that the terraced landscape at W.S. allows for more viewing, but I actually think it limited viewing coz some spots weren't usable.

Like you say though, I'd be going more for the energy and experience coz if I actually wanted to watch it, I'd be better off at home.

What day did you go?

We'll only go to one and it will be tough to decide as I like the group play, but Sunday seemed pretty electric.
                  Last edited by Gurtholfin; 10-03-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Also, Beef in the Arby's commercials....****ing amazing.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      That Reed/Rory match as awesome. One of the best things I've seen in years.

Complaints about the fans are BS. Its the Ryder Cup, this is the way it is supposed to be. And its the same whether it is here or in Europe. That is part of what makes this tournament so different and so much fun.
                      The Phil / Sergio match may have eclipsed it as a pure golf match. 58 better ball score, tons of birdies. Phil shoots 63 and they draw.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        The Phil / Sergio match may have eclipsed it as a pure golf match. 58 better ball score, tons of birdies. Phil shoots 63 and they draw.
                        Pretty hard to believe Phil may be playing some of his best golf, at 46. Sure, he didn't get The Open, and you could argue that his half against Sergio wasn't crucial, but those were 2 incredible rounds in pressure cooker situations.

I honestly wasn't too thrilled with Phil's play in the team events Fri/Sat. Figured Sergio would take him to the wood shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Went to the PGA last year at W.S. and I understand what you mean. We camped on a couple different holes and just watched the groups come through and as you say, had no idea what was going on elsewhere.

Was cool to see all the guys go through and I think the only notable we missed last year was Spieth as he went through in the morning.

We've already been strategizing on how we can maximize our viewing... start on 4 and watch them go through and then skin it to 10 and then 16.

Hoping that the terraced landscape at W.S. allows for more viewing, but I actually think it limited viewing coz some spots weren't usable.

Like you say though, I'd be going more for the energy and experience coz if I actually wanted to watch it, I'd be better off at home.

What day did you go?

We'll only go to one and it will be tough to decide as I like the group play, but Sunday seemed pretty electric.
                          If you're only picking one day, and if you are huge fan of the event itself, I think I'd go Friday. Based upon my experience this weekend, there are a couple of reasons for this suggestion.

First, it seemed like the Friday crowd was the smallest. Not sure if that was true or not, but it felt that way. Sunday had the benefit of multiple matches spread out over the course, but that meant that realistically you needed to pick a place and just watch the groups come through, then go home. With the event decided on Sunday, it was pretty tough to really follow all the action that decided the Cup.

During the Friday and Saturday rounds, you have the ability to jump around and get a decent seat or vantage point, if you do it right. For instance, we watched the first group go off #1 tee in the morning, from the side of #1 fairway, then made for #5 green ahead of the crowd. After the last group came through #5, we skipped over to #16 to catch the groups as they came through there. After that happened we would head over to #8 to catch the groups coming through on the afternoon round. In each instance we seemed to be about a half hour ahead of the masses and had great seats or vantage points. People who showed up a half hour after us were standing five deep or more.

Another move we made which worked out great is the PGA opened up their merchandise shop on the Friday before the Ryder Cup. It was open to the public that Friday, Saturday and Sunday without a ticket. We made a trip in that Friday which turned out to be a good move. While there were a lot of people there, it wasn't anything like the days of the actual tournament. One member of our group went in during the tournament and it was about a three and a half hour venture.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

My dad wanted a specific winter hat and that store was a nightmare. Even at 745am Sunday, hours before tee off. Just a mess. If I'd known it was open a week early I'd have done that.
                            My only disappointment was not running into bill Murray yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              My dad wanted a specific winter hat and that store was a nightmare. Even at 745am Sunday, hours before tee off. Just a mess. If I'd known it was open a week early I'd have done that.
                              My only disappointment was not running into bill Murray yesterday.
                              its open today. 50% off
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I was at The Country Club in Brookline MA in '99 (on Sunday). Those crowds set the bar for bad behavior (and the behavior of some of the US team was pretty boorish; remember they rushed the 17th green when Leonard rolled in a 45 ft putt from off the green, before Olazabal had a chance to make his putt which would have halved the hole.)
                                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                                X