Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    In what seems like it must be a mistake, the US Open is in (near) Milwaukee next week. Little geezer the golf nut talked me into driving down to watch a practice round (tickets to the event itself get silly, for me). Anyone else? Anyone have spectating advice? Again, not a big fan, but my son wants to get autographs.
    The practice rounds are the best if you're looking for autographs or photos or the like. Plus, earlier in the week is better than say Wednesday, which is getting close to the tournament.

I've been to a number of U.S. Open practice rounds, but never sought autographs myself. However, from my observation your best bet to increase your chances would be to try to position yourself near the walk paths between greens and tee boxes; have a kid try to get it, they have better luck than adults; have your own sharpie, with the cap off, ready to go (they sign "on the run"); be prepared to follow the golfer as he signs and be ready to reach out to retrieve your autograph and pen when he's done; have something easy to sign (the best is to buy one of the "flags" in the merchandise tent. They come on a flat piece of cardboard, are easy to sign, and have enough room for multiple signatures).
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      The practice rounds are the best if you're looking for autographs or photos or the like. Plus, earlier in the week is better than say Wednesday, which is getting close to the tournament.

I've been to a number of U.S. Open practice rounds, but never sought autographs myself. However, from my observation your best bet to increase your chances would be to try to position yourself near the walk paths between greens and tee boxes; have a kid try to get it, they have better luck than adults; have your own sharpie, with the cap off, ready to go (they sign "on the run"); be prepared to follow the golfer as he signs and be ready to reach out to retrieve your autograph and pen when he's done; have something easy to sign (the best is to buy one of the "flags" in the merchandise tent. They come on a flat piece of cardboard, are easy to sign, and have enough room for multiple signatures).
      Thanks! Appreciate it. We are going on Tuesday, little geezer is a small 16-yr-old so I think he'll do well with your strategy.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Thanks! Appreciate it. We are going on Tuesday, little geezer is a small 16-yr-old so I think he'll do well with your strategy.
        Don't forget to say "Thank you". Hopefully they #SignItLikeArnie.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Aaron Judge crushed one 495 ft the other day.

What club would you use to schwack the golf ball the same distance?

Me- well struck 4 iron or a choked down 3 Wood
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Aaron Judge crushed one 495 ft the other day.

What club would you use to schwack the golf ball the same distance?

Me- well struck 4 iron or a choked down 3 Wood
            495 feet = 165 yards. 6-iron.

Comment

The Erin Hills greens should be friendly this weekend, with all the rain we have had and expect to have in the next 5 days, but it will play long.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Don't forget to say "Thank you". Hopefully they #SignItLikeArnie.
                We had fun today. He got one sig (Ernie Els) but then decided he's too grown-up/ dignified to be an autograph hound which is just fine with me. Unique experience for me to be there.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Phil is skipping the US Open this weekend for his daughter's HS graduation, but decides not to withdraw just in case.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Phil is skipping the US Open this weekend for his daughter's HS graduation, but decides not to withdraw just in case.
                    Further to this, he needs a very, very unlikely 4 hour or so delay Thurs before 2pm. If he gets that, he can likely make it to the course before his tee time.

Unfortunately for Phil, the weather forecast doesn't look too promising. The good news? The first alternate is now allowed to partake in practice rounds leading up to the event, a new rule established last year by the USGA.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      That's not a lot of confidence in his daughter.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        He needs a 4 hour rain delay to make his tee time.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Tiger to drug rehab
                          https://www.google.com/amp/golfweek....port-says/amp/
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                            Woods reserved the entire male inpatient unit of the Jupiter Medical Center near his Florida home for his stint for an addiction to prescription pills, the website says.
                            Already it seems he's "too good/rich/famous" for group therapy, let alone with regular pee-ons. Not surprising, given how introverted he is, and also classic addict thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Already it seems he's "too good/rich/famous" for group therapy, let alone with regular pee-ons. Not surprising, given how introverted he is, and also classic addict thinking.
                              Dumb question: would his celebrity status distract him (and the group) from helping recovery?
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Per Deadspin, Daughter IS the commencement speaker, so...
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X