Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Police report link at bottom of twwet. How many can recite the national anthem backwards??

@JasonSobelESPN: Police report for Tiger Woods: https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/s...312320/photo/1
    Questions like that (and the alphabet) are trap questions. Many times, the person will say "I can't do that sober." Boom, nailed.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

They field techs also got a urine sample. So it wasn't booze. The urine tests will show what?

Tiger needs a minder.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    The urine tests will show what?.
    That's the million dollar question right there.

If he is/was on multiple meds, who knows how one reacts to them. He should have known better than to drive, though.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    If he is/was on multiple meds, who knows how one reacts to them. He should have known better than to drive, though.
    In most but not all states, you get one free pass if you have valid prescriptions (shockingly, it's called the prescription drug defense). You're not a pharmacist or a doctor, you can't be expected to know every reaction or side effect you're going to have to legitimately prescribed meds. Once you have reason to know it will make you drowsy or otherwise unsafe to drive, though, you're liable.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    In most but not all states, you get one free pass if you have valid prescriptions (shockingly, it's called the prescription drug defense). You're not a pharmacist or a doctor, you can't be expected to know every reaction or side effect you're going to have to legitimately prescribed meds. Once you have reason to know it will make you drowsy or otherwise unsafe to drive, though, you're liable.
    Or if you take more than the recommended dosage, I would imagine.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Questions like that (and the alphabet) are trap questions. Many times, the person will say "I can't do that sober." Boom, nailed.
    Can they really get you on that? Stating what you can do is one situation does not mean you are not in that situation. If I say right now "I cannot run a 4 minute mile in California", it doesn't mean I'm suddenly in Nevada.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    He may not have known, plus his personality is such that he doesn't readily acknowledge limitations. That was part of his greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Can they really get you on that? Stating what you can do is one situation does not mean you are not in that situation. If I say right now "I cannot run a 4 minute mile in California", it doesn't mean I'm suddenly in Nevada.
    If one answers that way, it implies you are not sober. I don't think you can get nailed SOLELY on that, but it sure won't help your case one bit.

Inspired by Actual Events

In what seems like it must be a mistake, the US Open is in (near) Milwaukee next week. Little geezer the golf nut talked me into driving down to watch a practice round (tickets to the event itself get silly, for me). Anyone else? Anyone have spectating advice? Again, not a big fan, but my son wants to get autographs.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    In what seems like it must be a mistake, the US Open is in (near) Milwaukee next week. Little geezer the golf nut talked me into driving down to watch a practice round (tickets to the event itself get silly, for me). Anyone else? Anyone have spectating advice? Again, not a big fan, but my son wants to get autographs.
    The practice rounds are the best if you're looking for autographs or photos or the like. Plus, earlier in the week is better than say Wednesday, which is getting close to the tournament.

I've been to a number of U.S. Open practice rounds, but never sought autographs myself. However, from my observation your best bet to increase your chances would be to try to position yourself near the walk paths between greens and tee boxes; have a kid try to get it, they have better luck than adults; have your own sharpie, with the cap off, ready to go (they sign "on the run"); be prepared to follow the golfer as he signs and be ready to reach out to retrieve your autograph and pen when he's done; have something easy to sign (the best is to buy one of the "flags" in the merchandise tent. They come on a flat piece of cardboard, are easy to sign, and have enough room for multiple signatures).
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    The practice rounds are the best if you're looking for autographs or photos or the like. Plus, earlier in the week is better than say Wednesday, which is getting close to the tournament.

I've been to a number of U.S. Open practice rounds, but never sought autographs myself. However, from my observation your best bet to increase your chances would be to try to position yourself near the walk paths between greens and tee boxes; have a kid try to get it, they have better luck than adults; have your own sharpie, with the cap off, ready to go (they sign "on the run"); be prepared to follow the golfer as he signs and be ready to reach out to retrieve your autograph and pen when he's done; have something easy to sign (the best is to buy one of the "flags" in the merchandise tent. They come on a flat piece of cardboard, are easy to sign, and have enough room for multiple signatures).
    Thanks! Appreciate it. We are going on Tuesday, little geezer is a small 16-yr-old so I think he'll do well with your strategy.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Thanks! Appreciate it. We are going on Tuesday, little geezer is a small 16-yr-old so I think he'll do well with your strategy.
    Don't forget to say "Thank you". Hopefully they #SignItLikeArnie.

Aaron Judge crushed one 495 ft the other day.

What club would you use to schwack the golf ball the same distance?

Me- well struck 4 iron or a choked down 3 Wood

Aaron Judge crushed one 495 ft the other day.

What club would you use to schwack the golf ball the same distance?

Me- well struck 4 iron or a choked down 3 Wood
    495 feet = 165 yards. 6-iron.

The Erin Hills greens should be friendly this weekend, with all the rain we have had and expect to have in the next 5 days, but it will play long.

Don't forget to say "Thank you". Hopefully they #SignItLikeArnie.
    We had fun today. He got one sig (Ernie Els) but then decided he's too grown-up/ dignified to be an autograph hound which is just fine with me. Unique experience for me to be there.

Phil is skipping the US Open this weekend for his daughter's HS graduation, but decides not to withdraw just in case.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Capt
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Phil is skipping the US Open this weekend for his daughter's HS graduation, but decides not to withdraw just in case.
    Further to this, he needs a very, very unlikely 4 hour or so delay Thurs before 2pm. If he gets that, he can likely make it to the course before his tee time.

Unfortunately for Phil, the weather forecast doesn't look too promising. The good news? The first alternate is now allowed to partake in practice rounds leading up to the event, a new rule established last year by the USGA.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    That's not a lot of confidence in his daughter.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Thread Information