Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Dumb question: would his celebrity status distract him (and the group) from helping recovery?
    His chances of avoiding "celeb status" would be better outside of a spin dry, at a meeting with old-timers who won't necessarily gawk at him, or think of him as special - just another addict looking for help. It would actually be better if there was a closed meeting for other celeb addicts in his area, but we're talking Florida, not Hollywood, so I'd be surprised if that option was regularly available. His best bet would probably be some group for other entitled rich folk there in Jupiter/West Palm. I'm sure there's more than one.

I assume that he has to do this formally for the courts, to have a shot at keeping partial custody of his kids. They will probably also mandate 12-step attendance for him for some period of time (usually 3-6 months for a first offense). Time will tell if the group strategy works for him, based on if he gets a sponsor and continues showing up to meetings after he's met his legal obligations. I've seen guys in AA who sat in the back, never talked, and were clearly there just to get their court papers signed. IMO, the 12-step model is not for everyone, and there are other models (SMART, Life Ring, Rational Recovery, etc.) - some people have quit their substance of choice without any group therapy at all, but regardless of how one feels about 12-step, it is much easier to find, and always an acceptable start, or good for an "emergency".

Comment

Fowler made his first round look easy. A smooth -7.
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
        Fowler made his first round look easy. A smooth -7.
        For some reason I misread this as the front nine and thought, "holy sh-t!"
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

As a recently indoctrinated PGA fan, I was pleased to learn I can while away the work day with a live stream of the Open playing in the corner of the monitor. Jason Day seems to be in the process of *****ing himself. It's compelling TV.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Dammit I forgot to have that on today. I will not be able to watch tomorrow. grrr

Comment

Beautiful course. Tremendous layout.

But if they keep shooting like this, the USGA isn't coming back here ever again. The fellas at the USGA are going to be jumping out of windows if multiple guys are -10 or lower when this is done. They're not happy if someone wins at -5.

Probably a wonderful course for the PGA Championship, but not a US Open ever again without some major changes to the set-up.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post

But if they keep shooting like this, the USGA isn't coming back here ever again. The fellas at the USGA are going to be jumping out of windows if multiple guys are -10 or lower when this is done. They're not happy if someone wins at -5.

Probably a wonderful course for the PGA Championship, but not a US Open ever again without some major changes to the set-up.
                It's been raining which softens the course. The USGA has not learned how to control the weather.

Besides, they picked off world #s 1, 2 & 3. What's wrong with that?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The fairways are nearly twice as wide as a typical US Open. Start with that.

The USGA tries to shoot for even par to win. They're going to miss by a mile.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post

But the FESCUE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      But the FESCUE!!!!!
                      Yes, yes. The fescue. The problem is, the fairways are almost 60 yards wide before you get to the rough, then the FESCUE!!!

Also very little rough around the greens. They screwed up the course set-up.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Justin Thomas, who shot a 59 in January, ties the US Open single round record 63, though a new record of -9. Johnny Miller also had a 63, but it was "only" -8.
                        Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

this course is meant to be played in wind. and mookie means WIND!!!!!
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            A Mighty Wind??

Shinnecock's winning score will be +10. I predict revenge/carnage.
                            Last edited by joecct; 06-17-2017, 05:52 PM.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              mookie right. They get lots of rain before and after play, no rain or wind during play, the course does not have much of a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Shinnecock's winning score will be +10. I predict revenge/carnage.
                                I would not bet against you.

Again. There's nothing wrong with the course itself. More than long enough, FESCUE!!! if you miss by too much....but it was set up very poorly as far as US Opens are concerned.

The blame lies squarely with the USGA. The US Open is supposed to be a bear. It's supposed to be difficult to shoot par. Instead, we have a typical weekly PGA event, plus 50 yards added to each hole, plus fairways that are pushing 60 yards wide. We've got 5 guys at -10 or better, with 4 of the 5 lowest scores (relative to par) in US Open history.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X