Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    FWIW, I spent the first 25 years of my life in North Dakota, so my definition of "windy" is probably pretty close to the same...somewhere above 20-25 mph. Anything less and its just a little breezy. That being said, we very rarely have windy days up here, so it doesn't affect my game too much...fortunately.

I don't carry a 5-wood, as I hit my 4 or 5 iron just as long and far more accurate. I honestly probably shouldn't carry a 3-wood either. I hit it maybe once/round, and I'm not terribly good with the club either. I do carry 4 wedges (PW (~130-135 yards), AW (~120-125 yards), 54 degree (~110 yards; around the green), and 60 degree (~100 yards; around the green)), and the standard 4-9 irons. I also carry an Adams 2-iron super hybrid that I hit long punch shots with (everything else, I hook badly, for whatever reason). I can consistently get about 160-180 yards with that shot, so I use it a lot when I need to get under a tree or if it is windy. Throw in the driver and the putter, and that gets me my 14 in the bag. I used to carry an Adams 4-iron hybrid as well, and it sounded like a little league home run whenever I hit it. I ditched it though when I got a new set of irons a couple of years ago and found that I could hit a standard 4-iron further and more accurate.
    Wow. I wouldn't dream of carrying a lot of those. The lowest iron I carry is a 6 which i hit about 160 yds. Anything lower is a hybrid though i used to carry down to a 3. I hit my 4 hybrid 190 yds so i get a lot of what you want done with it. I also only carry a 3 and driver in the woods and i only use the three to tee off on the real narrow fairways where there is too much variability in the driver. I usually hit the 3 wood about 230 off the tee so there is a distance penalty, but I am willing to give it up for the accuracy. If i'm looking for penetrating ball flight, I have a taylormade 3 hybrid that is pretty good for that. I also quit playing Pro V1's which has helped my score a bit.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Driver-3W-5W-Rescue 4

5-PW, 56 wedge, 64 wedge, putter.

I have no idea why I carry the 64 wedge. It's as useless as **** on a fish in my hands.

I also have no idea why I only carry 13 clubs, but it covers virtually any distance I find myself up against. *shrug*
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Driver-3W-5W-Rescue 4

5-PW, 56 wedge, 64 wedge, putter.

I have no idea why I carry the 64 wedge. It's as useless as **** on a fish in my hands.

I also have no idea why I only carry 13 clubs, but it covers virtually any distance I find myself up against. *shrug*
        driver, 3wood, 3-9 irons, pw, sw, lw, putter. And honestly, I rarely use the 3wood or the lw. I hit the 3 iron long enough to not really need the 3 wood, and my best club in the bag is my 9 iron, so I try to set up as many approach shots as I can at that distance, which rarely leads to using the lob wedge.

Comment

One more question before I head to a scramble this morning. How old is the equipment in your bag? My driver is 4-5 years old, and the rest of my stuff is in the neighborhood of 10-15 years old.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Tuesday.
            Land on green.
            Roll to cup.
            Hit stick.

Bounce out.

And I'd have had FOUR witnesses!

(And before someone says it, yes, I made the putt for a 2.)
            Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. But at least you didn't have to make the walk of shame like I've done.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              One more question before I head to a scramble this morning. How old is the equipment in your bag? My driver is 4-5 years old, and the rest of my stuff is in the neighborhood of 10-15 years old.
              How old is your swing? That's the important part.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Wow. I wouldn't dream of carrying a lot of those. The lowest iron I carry is a 6 which i hit about 160 yds. Anything lower is a hybrid though i used to carry down to a 3. I hit my 4 hybrid 190 yds so i get a lot of what you want done with it. I also only carry a 3 and driver in the woods and i only use the three to tee off on the real narrow fairways where there is too much variability in the driver. I usually hit the 3 wood about 230 off the tee so there is a distance penalty, but I am willing to give it up for the accuracy. If i'm looking for penetrating ball flight, I have a taylormade 3 hybrid that is pretty good for that. I also quit playing Pro V1's which has helped my score a bit.
                For whatever reason, I can hit a standard iron further and more accurate than the hybrid. I wouldn't carry my 2-iron hybrid except that it works well for long punch shots (and I'm not sure what other club I would carry for a 14th). I did carry a chutter (the look of a putter with the loft of about a 7-iron) for a short time, thinking it would really help with shots around the green. Needless to say, I never got comfortable with that club, and I was far better with my 54 or 60 degree, so I ditched it a couple years ago.

As for ball choice, I agree on the Pro V1s. I know some people swear by them (and given how many pros use them, it is likely the superior ball), but I get way more distance, feel, and action with the Srixon Z-star. Throw in that you can usually get it for about 1/2 the price, and they make a nice yellow ball (which I need if I want to see my ball more than 100 yards away), and it is really a no brainer for me.

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                My bag is the newest member, being about 3 years old. My 54 degree is just slightly older (I lost my original 54 degree (Cleveland 588 RTX Black), so I had to get another), and my Putter (TaylorMade Ghost) and Driver (TaylorMade SLDR) are about 3.5 years old. My irons (TaylorMade - Graphite Rocket Blades) are about 4 years old, along with my 60 degree (Cleveland 588 RTX Black). My Adams Super Hybrid (2-iron) is about 4.5 years old. My 3-wood is the oldest club in my bag, and was a gift from a friend about 12-15 years ago. It is a TaylorMade, but I have no idea what model, as it has no paint on it and no other markings to identify.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Waiting to play Dubai Creek.

Mookie just got a tour of the golf club & yacht club.... and all 20 some restaurants (seemed that much).
                  So far looks like a recommendation for anyone visiting. Only got a quick look at 18-17-10 and approved.

Now drinking a milkshake with is only 30 dhd (ouch!!) and will soon see a club sandwich (65 dhs which isn't as Scott after the shake ).

Mookie needs a raise
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Mookie just got a tour of the golf club & yacht club.... and all 20 some restaurants (seemed that much).
                    So far looks like a recommendation for anyone visiting. Only got a quick look at 18-17-10 and approved.

Now drinking a milkshake with is only 30 dhd (ouch!!) and will soon see a club sandwich (65 dhs which isn't as Scott after the shake ).

Mookie needs a raise
                    About .30 USD???
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Mookie needs a raise
                      ~$30 USD for lunch at a country club, sans booze, sounds about right.

Are you at least getting real bacon on that club?

Comment

Beware of the wife's slice!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...ushed-11098874
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Yesterday, Sergio missed an eagle putt by 13 feet and destroyed his putter. With his putter out of play, he sank the birdie with a 3 wood.

However, he went +5 the rest of the round, as a combination of woods and irons didn't work.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Golf Canada has announced new rules for senior golfers. ;

o Rule 1.a.5 – A ball sliced or hooked into the Rough shall be lifted and placed on the Fairway at a point equal to the distance it carried or rolled into the Rough with no penalty. The senior player should not be penalized for tall grass which ground keepers failed to mow.

o Rule 2.d.6 (B) – A ball hitting a tree shall be deemed NOT to have hit the tree. This is simply bad luck and luck has no place in a scientific game. The senior player must estimate the distance the ball would have traveled if it had not hit the tree, and play the ball from there.

o Rule 3.B.3(G) – There shall be no such thing as a lost ball. The missing ball is on or near the course and will eventually be found and pocketed by someone else, thereby making it a stolen ball. The senior player is not to compound the felony by charging himself with a penalty.

o Rule 4.c.7(h) – If a putt passes over a hole without dropping, it is deemed to have dropped. The Law of Gravity supersedes the Rules of Golf.

o Rule 5. – Putts that stop close enough to the cup that they could be blown in, may be blown in. This does not apply to balls more than three inches from the Hole. No one wants to make a mockery of the game.

o Rule 6.a.9(k) – There is no penalty for so-called “out of bounds.” If penny-pinching golf course owners bought sufficient land, this would not occur. The senior player deserves an apology, not a penalty.

o Rule 7.G.15(z) – There is no penalty for a ball in a water hazard, as golf balls should float. Senior players should not be penalized for any shortcomings of the manufacturers.

o Rule 8.k.9(S) – Advertisements claim that golf scores can be improved by purchasing new golf equipment. Since this is financially impractical for many senior players, one-half stroke per hole may be subtracted for using old equipment. Please advise all your senior friends of these important rule changes and keep multiple copies in your golf bag. Those not following the rules need to be provided a copy. Golf is a game of integrity.
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              ~$30 USD for lunch at a country club, sans booze, sounds about right.

Are you at least getting real bacon on that club?
                              real sweet crispy crunchy american bacon!!!
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                Golf Canada has announced new rules for senior golfers. ;

o Rule 1.a.5 – A ball sliced or hooked into the Rough shall be lifted and placed on the Fairway at a point equal to the distance it carried or rolled into the Rough with no penalty. The senior player should not be penalized for tall grass which ground keepers failed to mow.

o Rule 2.d.6 (B) – A ball hitting a tree shall be deemed NOT to have hit the tree. This is simply bad luck and luck has no place in a scientific game. The senior player must estimate the distance the ball would have traveled if it had not hit the tree, and play the ball from there.

o Rule 3.B.3(G) – There shall be no such thing as a lost ball. The missing ball is on or near the course and will eventually be found and pocketed by someone else, thereby making it a stolen ball. The senior player is not to compound the felony by charging himself with a penalty.

o Rule 4.c.7(h) – If a putt passes over a hole without dropping, it is deemed to have dropped. The Law of Gravity supersedes the Rules of Golf.

o Rule 5. – Putts that stop close enough to the cup that they could be blown in, may be blown in. This does not apply to balls more than three inches from the Hole. No one wants to make a mockery of the game.

o Rule 6.a.9(k) – There is no penalty for so-called “out of bounds.” If penny-pinching golf course owners bought sufficient land, this would not occur. The senior player deserves an apology, not a penalty.

o Rule 7.G.15(z) – There is no penalty for a ball in a water hazard, as golf balls should float. Senior players should not be penalized for any shortcomings of the manufacturers.

o Rule 8.k.9(S) – Advertisements claim that golf scores can be improved by purchasing new golf equipment. Since this is financially impractical for many senior players, one-half stroke per hole may be subtracted for using old equipment. Please advise all your senior friends of these important rule changes and keep multiple copies in your golf bag. Those not following the rules need to be provided a copy. Golf is a game of integrity.
                                Nice to see the Trump Rules finally getting approved.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X