Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    No one is going to care as long as you don't sandbag and you aren't using it to get into lower flights for things like your local publinks tournies.

Just enter the scores.

But I'm also someone who has never played strict rules. I generally don't improve my lie unless "winter rules" are in play, but I also always play OOB as a lateral hazard and don't give a crap about things like grounding a club in a trap or hazard.
    So, you cheat at golf.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      So, you cheat at golf.
      By the technical rules, sure. But I've yet to meet a single person that ever plays strict rules when they're just getting 9 in after work with a beer or two and aren't playing for money.

I'll also say that playing OOB as a lateral hazard is a pace of play thing that frankly everyone should do unless you're on a professional tour. Hell, I played in high school tournaments where that was the rule.

Comment

By the technical rules, sure. But I've yet to meet a single person that ever plays strict rules when they're just getting 9 in after work with a beer or two and aren't playing for money.

I'll also say that playing OOB as a lateral hazard is a pace of play thing that frankly everyone should do unless you're on a professional tour. Hell, I played in high school tournaments where that was the rule.
        Personally, I am one of those people who try to play strictly by the rules of golf (I know, big surprise, right). But I do it for two reasons.

First, I'm the head of our local handicap committee, and I've served on that committee for a long time, so I feel some pressure to apply the rules to myself pretty strictly. Second, I play enough handicapped events that I want an accurate handicap for myself. Skirting the rules for whatever benefit in a practice or casual round primarily hurts that golfer only (and perhaps his future teammates) by creating an artificially low handicap.

But I generally agree with you. Most people aren't going to follow the rules to a T in a casual round, and I don't get real bent out of shape about it. The most important thing is that people have fun playing the game.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I belong to a private club that has 25% of it's members with single digit handicaps. If you are out, even for fun, and are observed cheating, your reputation is shot. If you ALWAYS play by the rules you won't make slips.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            Personally, I am one of those people who try to play strictly by the rules of golf (I know, big surprise, right). But I do it for two reasons.

First, I'm the head of our local handicap committee, and I've served on that committee for a long time, so I feel some pressure to apply the rules to myself pretty strictly. Second, I play enough handicapped events that I want an accurate handicap for myself. Skirting the rules for whatever benefit in a practice or casual round primarily hurts that golfer only (and perhaps his future teammates) by creating an artificially low handicap.

But I generally agree with you. Most people aren't going to follow the rules to a T in a casual round, and I don't get real bent out of shape about it. The most important thing is that people have fun playing the game.
            If you're submitting your score towards your handicap, you should always play strictly by the rules. If you don't, you're cheating in the next handicapped event.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              If you're submitting your score towards your handicap, you should always play strictly by the rules. If you don't, you're cheating in the next handicapped event.
              Well, technically if you are playing you should be submitting your score towards your handicap. That is one of the problems that we've had to address over the years -- players going out and playing a round of golf, then not submitting it. An occasional practice round where you hit a couple of balls of the tee, or chip shots around the green may pass muster. But if you do it regularly, you're cheating if you don't post your rounds.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

How many golfers maintain a USGA handicap out of all that play the game? Just curious.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  How many golfers maintain a USGA handicap out of all that play the game? Just curious.
                  I think a pretty small percentage.

A couple of years ago I saw some statistics that there were about 2 million people signed up through GHIN, which is the site that maintains the USGA handicaps. The big question is how many total golfers are there? Who knows. It probably depends upon who you count. But I've seen estimates that there are maybe 25 million golfers in this country, which means it would be less than 10% who sign up for and maintain a handicap.

Edit: According to the GHIN site, it currently sits at about 2.3 million, but it covers more than just the U.S.

http://www.ghin.com/
                  Last edited by SJHovey; 04-14-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    My wife hates sports.
                    Ok, but what's her problem with golf?

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      Ok, but what's her problem with golf?
                      +1
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/...lleviate-pain/

Comment

So, basically he's out for 2017, then.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            So, basically he's out for 2017, then.
                            He's out period. Jack survives.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              He's out period. Jack survives.
                              I wish he'd officially retire. It was a good run while it lasted.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                I wish he'd officially retire. It was a good run while it lasted.
                                El Tigre's ego will not allow him to retire as long as the possibility of a recovery exists. And in his mind, he's always right on the cusp of winning again.

Comment

Working...
                                X