Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf 2016 - I Phil we'll never hear the Rory of the Tiger again.

....looking
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

....waiting

Looking and waiting.

Comment

I've only played one round of golf in my life, A co-worker of mine had been on the Clemson golf team and he played darn near every day after work. He couldn't find anyone to go with him, so he begged me to come along with him. I told him I had literally never played, but he said he was good with that. He was really patient and coached me through it. I really focused on the last hole, and was able to save an even 90.

....which I thought was pretty good for my first 9 holes.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Still waiting....

Texted a friend who is there now. She is friends with a couple members and would know what mookie asked.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            I’m a 3 and my goal would be 89. Breaking 90 would be quite the feat, IMHO.

Key is adding the gallery and all that to our rounds
            I attended the 2000 Masters tournament, and coincidentally I was a 3 handicap at that time. I distinctly remember thinking as I walked that course that there was literally no chance I would break 90, certainly not on my first attempt.

Now, the par 3 course, that looked more to my liking.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I attended the 2000 Masters tournament, and coincidentally I was a 3 handicap at that time. I distinctly remember thinking as I walked that course that there was literally no chance I would break 90, certainly not on my first attempt.

Now, the par 3 course, that looked more to my liking.
              I've heard that from pretty much everybody I know who has been there and watched. I think it's a psychological thing. One of my good friends from law school played there once (he is from GA and his family are members at August Country Club, which is right next to Augusta National and shares Ray's Creek...him and his brother got to skip across and play to help fill out some foursomes), and he was about a 6-10 handicap. He had been to a couple different Masters before, but said when he played that after about the first two holes, he settled in and didn't get so overwhelmed by the moment. He shot a 93 after going quad-triple on the first two holes. He also birdied 16.

My takeaway was that if you could manage your emotions, you should be able to score in relation to your handicap. As you said though, on your first attempt, it might be too overwhelming to shoot even close to a normal score.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I've heard that from pretty much everybody I know who has been there and watched. I think it's a psychological thing. One of my good friends from law school played there once (he is from GA and his family are members at August Country Club, which is right next to Augusta National and shares Ray's Creek...him and his brother got to skip across and play to help fill out some foursomes), and he was about a 6-10 handicap. He had been to a couple different Masters before, but said when he played that after about the first two holes, he settled in and didn't get so overwhelmed by the moment. He shot a 93 after going quad-triple on the first two holes. He also birdied 16.

My takeaway was that if you could manage your emotions, you should be able to score in relation to your handicap. As you said though, on your first attempt, it might be too overwhelming to shoot even close to a normal score.
                Yeah, maybe, but I'm not so sure.

I shot 81 my first round at St. Andrews, 80 the first time I played Hazeltine and 83 the first time I saw Interlachen.

But there were three things that struck me about Augusta that caused me to conclude bogey golf would be a challenge.

First is the elevation changes. I think those can cause even good golfers the most difficulty the first time you play the course, just from a club selection standpoint. I've played well on some courses with significant elevation changes, but there are elevation changes and then there is Augusta National. That course is crazy.

Second was the greens. They just looked extremely difficult, and like they require very precise knowledge about exactly where you need to hit the ball, something I wouldn't have until I played the course a few times.

Third is that it appeared to me there were quite a few shots you'd have to hit that would just look intimidating. At a course like Hazeltine or St. Andrews you didn't really have a lot of that.

Fortunately, or perhaps more accurately unfortunately, it's all a moot point. I don't anticipate getting the chance to test my theory.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Waiting....

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Waiting....
                    ...is the hardest part.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      For whatever reason i tend to putt better when i lose feeling in my hands.
                      If you sit on your hand for a while it feels like somebody else's.

What? I read it somewhere.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

"The stranger"

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Which part of you doesn't recognize your hand: your butt or your brain? (mine can both think, and I won't say which I use more)

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Which part of you doesn't recognize your hand: your butt or your brain? (mine can both think, and I won't say which I use more)
                            I think this is where the House broken finger joke came in.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Spieth +4 through 7 holes today. Looks like the course is playing tough today.
                              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                                Spieth +4 through 7 holes today. Looks like the course is playing tough today.
                                Certainly not a lot of upward movement on the leaderboard for the morning groups. Little more wind seems to be playing tricks on the guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X