Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

I'm very behind in getting on the forums and instead of quoting a bunch of different posts, I'll do my best to answer the stuff I remember seeing.

While the schools do have SOME leeway in their schedules, what whky doesn't have control over is what's happening with men's basketball and men's hockey - both of those revenue sports get their pick of times/dates before the women do. For the Minnesota weekend, they're waiting for the men's bball schedule to fill out before they can figure out when they'll play. In this case, the men's bball team is hosting Oklahoma, which is a rare matchup. So we're probably waiting for tv to decide when they want that game to be.

As was mentioned, the way I understand it is that nothing can be happening simultaneously at Kohl and LaBahn. Parking/traffic/flow of people is one of those reasons, but the other is that much of the staff is the same for the two buildings.

IF the Minnesota game ends up being Friday afternoon, which I can assure you is not something UW wants, it would be one of maybe two Friday afternoon games all season. Over the past few seasons UW has managed to do fewer and fewer Friday afternoon games. They should get credit for making that a priority.

Because of those Canada/USA camps, this week was the first time all the girls were on the ice together. IIRC, that was Tuesday, in fact. The team also started a week earlier than in year's past. I wouldn't put too much credence in what lines did or did not do on the ice.

I'm not sure which goalie will secure the 2 spot, but in talking to Baldwin and having her teammates "scout" her, she is a very aggressive goalie and uses that to help offset how small she is. My prediction is that she'll learn a lot behind ARD this season - you'll remember that ARD was very aggressive outside the crease and seems to have found a happy medium and I think Baldwin will benefit.

I hope to have freshman intro pieces up on B5Q this week.
    It's a great day for hockey!

Let's go RED!

I did talk to Jason King a few years ago about the Friday afternoon games he he did assure me that those games are not good for fans and they have indeed reduced the number of them over the years. It's just so bad to have the marquee matchup get messed up like this. It reduces the home ice advantage for sure.

I sure hope the band has a lot of games on the schedule. They finished strong last year.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    UW was out face-offed 28-30, Friday they were also out face-offed 19-23. Clark is struggling in the circle, Friday she was 5-10 and Saturday she was better at 10-12, so that may be why the first line is struggling a bit, especially Friday.
    My first year watching women's hockey was 2010-11. By the end of the regular season, I was telling people that I have never seen a great hockey team that was as bad on face-offs as Wisconsin was. That hasn't really changed much over the ensuing years. It's just something the Badgers aren't good at.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    My first year watching women's hockey was 2010-11. By the end of the regular season, I was telling people that I have never seen a great hockey team that was as bad on face-offs as Wisconsin was. That hasn't really changed much over the ensuing years. It's just something the Badgers aren't good at.
    Thanks for the positive news. It's hard to believe a guy as smart as MJ wouldn't value puck possession highly. I may have to do some research on this if I can find any stats to go back on and look. It's a big pool of info, perhaps I'll just look at the rodent and sue games as those are the ones where gaining possession on faceoffs is the most crucial.

Thanks for the positive news. It's hard to believe a guy as smart as MJ wouldn't value puck possession highly. I may have to do some research on this if I can find any stats to go back on and look. It's a big pool of info, perhaps I'll just look at the rodent and sue games as those are the ones where gaining possession on faceoffs is the most crucial.
    Sometimes I wonder if they're losing offensive zone face-offs on purpose so they can set up that forecheck.

Solid 6-0 win....here's my observations after seeing 2 periods out of 3 due to technical difficulties.....I missed most of the first period. SOG 34-16.

Never seemed like the Pankowski line got going, though they had 10 sog. Pankowski only had 2, Clark 3, Shaver 5. Kinda disappointed in that line's performance seeing as they were the only line in tact from last year.

Roque is one great player, speed, vision and a hockey IQ of 200. What a beautiful backhanded pass from behind the goal to Wellhausen on her 2nd goal. That line looked really good. That line had Shaver 2, Roque 1 and Wellhausen 4, so only 7 shots, but they seemed to create a lot of chances.

Norby didn't really make an impression playing with Nurse and McKibbon. Sog 5/5/1 for Norby.

Didn't see a lot of the 4th line, but Mauermann was on the pk with McKibbon one time and on a couple other shifts she showed some wheels. They did get bottled up once in the 3rd period in the D zone. I think she's kinda mismatched on the 4th line, but this year that's the talent pool she has to play with.

The last half of the 3rd period MJ was mashing lines together.

ARD had a big back door save in the 3rd to preserve the shut out.

None of the D jumped out in a bad way, which is great, though someone fell asleep on the big save.

Overall a very good game for the first game, UW controlled play and played very well in the D zone. The line chemistry will come together as time goes on. I don't think there's any reason to shuffles the lines at this point, but I sure would like to see the Shaver/Roque/Wellhausen line stay intact.
    My thoughts on this past weekend games at St. Cloud: I'm not worried at all about the Pankowski-Clark-Cogan line. They seemed to find their mojo in the third period of game #2 and I fully expect them to be on the same page with one another in 2 weeks vs. Ohio St. The same can be said about the McKibbon-Nurse-Norby line. There is obvious chemistry between McKibbon and Nurse. It will take time for Norby to learn how to play with that pair. She is someone who was used to having the puck on her stick a lot in high school and now she must learn to play with out it on many shifts. She is a smart player though and will figure it out! The line of Shaver-Roque-Wellhausen was the most impressive I thought. Throughout both games they created scoring chances on pretty much every shift. If it wasn't for the stellar play of Taylor Crosby in net in game #2 this line could have easily had three or four more goals. Wellhausen has always been a fast and hard working player but, she seemed to have even more in the gas tank this past weekend. That entire line really compliments each others talents really well. Shaver and Wellhausen have all kinds of speed and create chances everywhere and Roque has really great hands and is hockey smart! Our defense made a few mistakes in both games but, that will be cleaned up through more practice. (they have had only 2 as a full team) It sure was great to see Rolfes back on the ice! Such a good player! All in all a very good weekend for the Badgers! Really excited for this season!
    Last edited by rangersrule; 09-26-2016 at 10:57 AM.

That alumni band guy

Badger single-game tickets are now on sale, and the ticket office website is showing the Border Battle series to be Friday & Sunday (Dec. 2 & 4). Times are still not finalized.

Let's go RED!

It will take time for Norby to learn how to play with that pair. She is someone who was used to having the puck on her stick a lot in high school and now she must learn to play with out it on many shifts.
    This is an excellent point. I agree she'll get it figured out. They also only had 2 practices together as a line once Nurse got back from National camp. I wonder if they have fully coached practices during the bye week or are the coaches limited like in pre-season to 2 hrs a week.
    Last edited by Timothy A; 09-26-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
    Badger single-game tickets are now on sale, and the ticket office website is showing the Border Battle series to be Friday & Sunday (Dec. 2 & 4). Times are still not finalized.
    How stupid to have single game tickets without times established. I hate that my season tickets don't have times on them.

That alumni band guy

How stupid to have single game tickets without times established. I hate that my season tickets don't have times on them.
    And my contact within the Gopher team staff said that even the dates still haven't been confirmed yet (despite what the UW ticket office website states).
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Let's go RED!

And my contact within the Gopher team staff said that even the dates still haven't been confirmed yet (despite what the UW ticket office website states).
    That makes sense in that they may be trying to figure out a way to not play Friday and squeeze the UW gals in between men's hockey and bb. That is a good sign.

That alumni band guy

That makes sense in that they may be trying to figure out a way to not play Friday and squeeze the UW gals in between men's hockey and bb. That is a good sign.
    Now just heard from my contact that it will be a Saturday-Sunday series, though I'd like to see confirmation from Madtown to be certain.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Let's go RED!

Now just heard from my contact that it will be a Saturday-Sunday series, though I'd like to see confirmation from Madtown to be certain.
    Fran-freaking-tastic! If you can't trust a rodent, who can you trust?

Fran-freaking-tastic! If you can't trust a rodent, who can you trust?
    more accurate & reliable than a popcorn-striped skunk.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    more accurate & reliable than a popcorn-striped skunk.
    That is funny, I LOLed, but not very accurate.

That is funny, I LOLed, but not very accurate.
    Musteloidea
    its all in the family

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature

Musteloidea
    its all in the family
    That's also not very accurate...it's in the superfamily.

Badgers are in a family with our friends the wolverines, the Mustelidae family! Skunks have their own family, distant cousins!

As far as popcorn is concerned, I appreciate good sources of fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscDC View Post
    That's also not very accurate...it's in the superfamily.

Badgers are in a family with our friends the wolverines, the Mustelidae family! Skunks have their own family, distant cousins!

As far as popcorn is concerned, I appreciate good sources of fiber.
    I am surprised you enjoy fiber - given Badger fans seem to be full of sh . . . aving cream! Sorry, don't mean to keep tinkling on a Badger thread, I'll stop now. It was fun though

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature

I am surprised you enjoy fiber - given Badger fans seem to be full of sh . . . aving cream! Sorry, don't mean to keep tinkling on a Badger thread, I'll stop now. It was fun though
    The two are related...my sh-----s are better when my fiber intake is better.

Let's go RED!

The countdown is on til I can smell the ice and hear the pucks hit the glass.

I'm guessing MJ keeps the lines in tact, he specifically mentioned how well Shaver and Roque played together.

Thread Information