X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    The thing I was remembering about the 3rd place game was the Gophers losing to Dartmouth after they had already lost to Harvard in Duluth in 2003. But I imagine for the Dartmouth fans and parents of the players were happy to see them end their season on somewhat of a high note especially after travelling all that way.

At least for the men the 3rd place game was usually a stinker. Does anyone know why the NCAA decided to end it?
    I remember a couple of really brutal games for 3rd. Nasty ugly play. But, given it is OK in men's hockey, encouraged even to be a thug I assume the NCAA stopped it because it saved them the cost of hotel rooms for one night for two teams.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone. Apologies for any misspelling-

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        If I recall, The 'Dogs were given UM's dressing room and bench while UM had the unsettling experience of having to use the visitors' dressing room and bench during the semi final game in their own arena...about which I was told they were none too pleased.
        Just the bench, which led to the teams having to cross over in the corridor, compounded by the fact that UMD players couldn't resist vandalizing some of the U of M artwork. Things like that are why people don't mind losing to the current Bulldogs regime nearly as much as the old one.

As for the 2010 championship game, there was plenty of drama, but not many fans, and it wasn't particularly long on talent. UMD's offense was primarily confined to Blais and Fridfinnson, and the team had far less star power than any of its other championship teams. Cornell had a couple of great rookie D and not a lot else. The 2010 Olympics was a big drain on the talent in the sport, which is why Mercyhurst could come in as the No. 1 seed. The game wasn't particularly well played. There were all sorts of horrendous turnovers that didn't result in goals because the attacking player flubbed the chance. And then the game ended on a mistake where the penalized player started to her bench and it cost her the second she needed to have denied the shot that ultimately resulted in the winning goal. There were fewer fans than any other Frozen Four I've seen, and not many of those there cared which team won. In the end, the game was best remembered for its length and its Liberace homage.

As for ne7minder's original point about UW vs UM, I always thought that either one playing UMD was more entertaining. Stylistically, the Badgers and Gophers don't complement each other all that well. I've seen some yawners over the years in the UW/UM series, even in the last 10 years, and even in games that were close on the scoreboard. At least the blowouts with UMD vs UM were up-and-down games.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Why all the hate for the 3rd place game? ... There's no negative side to it.
        Because the last one took place before Wisconsin ever reached a Frozen Four, you were never treated to watching your players play in a game they clearly had no interest in playing. Teams work all year to get to this stage, and less than 48 hours after having the dream end, they're supposed to go out and play for ... absolutely nothing? The only one that was worth anything was the first one when it was Harvard versus Dartmouth and they hated each other. Otherwise, it was just cruel and unusual punishment for the players.

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        Canceling those games was one of the NCAA's better decisions.
        Agree totally.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          1. Just the bench, which led to the teams having to cross over in the corridor, compounded by the fact that UMD players couldn't resist vandalizing some of the U of M artwork.

2. As for the 2010 championship game, there was plenty of drama, but not many fans, and it wasn't particularly long on talent. UMD's offense was primarily confined to Blais and Fridfinnson, and the team had far less star power than any of its other championship teams. Cornell had a couple of great rookie D and not a lot else. The 2010 Olympics was a big drain on the talent in the sport, which is why Mercyhurst could come in as the No. 1 seed.

3. And then the game ended on a mistake where the penalized player started to her bench and it cost her the second she needed to have denied the shot that ultimately resulted in the winning goal.

4. There were fewer fans than any other Frozen Four I've seen, and not many of those there cared which team won.
          1. Are you serious? Did anyone actually witness said deed and, if so, get the name/number of the alleged perpetrators? And, if so, who were they?

2. I realize Irwin, Holmlov and Martin, and maybe others, were off for the Vancouver Olympics but there were still others in addition to Blais and Fridfinnson like Tuominen, Palterri, (the Finns returned from Vancouver to join UMD), Rasmussen, Cournoyer (although that might have been the year she was sidelined after being assaulted by that brain dead MSU player who wanted to go into law enforcement who carried out Means’ orders which ended in the assault on her and Irwin), Wong, and to a lesser extent Wilson, all of whom could score. And J-Rock rejoined the team in Dec/09 after being one of the last Team Canada cuts so she was on the Roster as well. In fact, I recall discussing that with you at that time and your expressing your concern.

And Cornell…White, Rougeau, Fortino, Karpenko, the Overguards.

So, even though there was depletion, I have to disagree about there not being much talent on the ice for that game.

3. The penalized player was Rougeau and although I can't quite recall her heading to her bench for a second what also happened was that she skated cross ice and around Gray who had the puck at the point instead of skating in front of Gray to diffuse the situation...I could never understand why she did that and what her thinking could have been. But that extra split second gave Gray the time she needed to get the shot off that Wong deflected into the net for the winning goal.

4. The fans attitudes do not dictate how exciting a game is or isn't. And I guess you didn't survey Cornell or UMD fans about caring who won. I thought what you mentioned reflected poorly on the host location/fans or lack thereof. Many seemed to think local fans didn't show up because their team lost two days earlier.

Anyway, it was one of the most exciting games I have ever witnessed...if not thee most exciting. A close runner up would be the UNH vs UMD FF semi final two years earlier at the DECC where The 'Dogs somehow withstood an unbelievable offensive onslaught to eventually prevail. But the ensuing Championship Game was the worst I've seen so far...UW played the first period and they were done...for some reason they came out in the 2nd a very different team...UMD shut them out 4-0...very disappointing show by UW, but I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            1. Are you serious? Did anyone actually witness said deed and, if so, get the name/number of the alleged perpetrators? And, if so, who were they?

2. I realize Irwin, Holmlov and Martin, and maybe others, were off for the Vancouver Olympics but there were still others in addition to Blais and Fridfinnson like Tuominen, Palterri, (the Finns returned from Vancouver to join UMD), Rasmussen, Cournoyer (although that might have been the year she was sidelined after being assaulted by that brain dead MSU player who wanted to go into law enforcement who carried out Means’ orders which ended in the assault on her and Irwin), Wong, and to a lesser extent Wilson, all of whom could score. And J-Rock rejoined the team in Dec/09 after being one of the last Team Canada cuts so she was on the Roster as well. In fact, I recall discussing that with you at that time and your expressing your concern.

And Cornell…White, Rougeau, Fortino, Karpenko, the Overguards.

So, even though there was depletion, I have to disagree about there not being much talent on the ice for that game.

3. The penalized player was Rougeau and although I can't quite recall her heading to her bench for a second what also happened was that she skated cross ice and around Gray who had the puck at the point instead of skating in front of Gray to diffuse the situation...I could never understand why she did that and what her thinking could have been. But that extra split second gave Gray the time she needed to get the shot off that Wong deflected into the net for the winning goal.

4. The fans attitudes do not dictate how exciting a game is or isn't. And I guess you didn't survey Cornell or UMD fans about caring who won. I thought what you mentioned reflected poorly on the host location/fans or lack thereof. Many seemed to think local fans didn't show up because their team lost two days earlier.

Anyway, it was one of the most exciting games I have ever witnessed...if not thee most exciting. A close runner up would be the UNH vs UMD FF semi final two years earlier at the DECC where The 'Dogs somehow withstood an unbelievable offensive onslaught to eventually prevail. But the ensuing Championship Game was the worst I've seen so far...UW played the first period and they were done...for some reason they came out in the 2nd a very different team...UMD shut them out 4-0...very disappointing show by UW, but I digress.
            1. Yes. I don't recall all the particulars, and thinking about it further, it may have been during the WCHA tourney that year. Thereafter, the WCHA took charge of what team was assigned what bench.

2. I believe that UMD started the season missing six players due to the Olympics. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the talent level. Larocque was back, but maybe because the team relied as heavily as it did on 1st-year players, she didn't seem as integrated into the team as her usual. Some of those Bulldog rookies were likely as healthy then as they ever were, but they were still rookies. I just compare those rosters to the following season, when Cornell added Johnston and Jenner, UMD had Irwin, Holmlov, Winberg, and Martin back, but neither club was able to make it back to the Frozen Four, and it's a far cry from what was on the ice for the 2003 championship. Usually, we have to list a lot of names before we get down to a Posa on a star-studded roster.

3. It was the period of the long change, so once she started for her bench, she wound up on the high side of Gray.

4. There weren't many fans at that semifinal either, although more than the championship. It was a down era for UM in terms of attendance; there were a few hundred more to watch recent series with OSU and UND than turned out for either FF session in 2010. The hardcore Gopher fans did show up on Sunday, but more out of a sense of duty. There were at least three times as many UMD fans at Mariucci back in 2001, and while I can see the difficulty in getting a lot of Cornell fans halfway across the country, it still made for a lot of empty seats. At least that was the first FF held in Ridder; it would have seemed totally empty in Mariucci. Admittedly, it was almost twice as many as fans as showed up for the UMD vs UM WCHA final two weeks earlier, but that attendance was pathetic.

I thought the quality of the game was much better in years like 2003, 2005, 2009 (even though Mercyhurst was outclassed), 2012, and 2015. But like I said, I'll concede that it had drama in 2010, just not electricity.

Comment

It's a great day for hockey!

Super stoked the game is on BTN tomorrow! I'm also very excited for my son to some live reporting from the rodent hole today with his friends. I wonder how much the rodent boosters had to pay the wcha to get UW at home the final week of the regular season 2 years in a row. Once is a fluke, twice is a payoff. It better not happen next year. It sucks enough the rodents get the wcha tourney at Ridder.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Super stoked the game is on BTN tomorrow! I'm also very excited for my son to some live reporting from the rodent hole today with his friends. I wonder how much the rodent boosters had to pay the wcha to get UW at home the final week of the regular season 2 years in a row. Once is a fluke, twice is a payoff. It better not happen next year. It sucks enough the rodents get the wcha tourney at Ridder.
                The payoff is that people actually show up to watch the games when it is at Ridder.

Comment

I agree with you that it's terrible that the Badgers have to come to Ridder again to play their final two regular season games. They should probably protest and just stay home.

At least with the 10,000 or so empty seats at Engelstad arena for the WCHA tourney two years ago the ND band had plenty of room to march around the empty seats between periods so there was that benefit of not being at Ridder.
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

More than with most series, it doesn't seem to matter in most years where the games are played. In the years where they've had the talent, the Badgers have been very capable of winning in Ridder. There was a stretch where they did better there than they did at the Kohl Center.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      More than with most series, it doesn't seem to matter in most years where the games are played. In the years where they've had the talent, the Badgers have been very capable of winning in Ridder. There was a stretch where they did better there than they did at the Kohl Center.
                      I know, it's annoying not to play the last regular season games at home, more so when you have to go play at your bitter rival

Allowing 35 sog yesterday was terrible, I don't care the opponent. They better clamp down today. They need to get into playoff mode on the D side.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I know, it's annoying not to play the last regular season games at home, more so when you have to go play at your bitter rival

Allowing 35 sog yesterday was terrible, I don't care the opponent. They better clamp down today. They need to get into playoff mode on the D side.
                        LOL on the shot total! I think the scorekeeper had a twitch that he couldn't control. We observed several shots that were counted that were blocked by the D in front as well as a few wide right. Great crowd...doubt it was as many as advertised (which has been the theme all year) but for some reason there wasn't much MN nice going on out there. I love the rivalry and the bantering, but do it with class! After the Wolf scored it was interesting that they replayed the goal while Nurse was in the process of matching that goal. Again...No class.
                        BTW...Stecklein had a great game & played the majority of the game. I think you will see a different Badger team today!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                          LOL on the shot total! I think the scorekeeper had a twitch that he couldn't control. We observed several shots that were counted that were blocked by the D in front as well as a few wide right. Great crowd...doubt it was as many as advertised (which has been the theme all year) but for some reason there wasn't much MN nice going on out there. I love the rivalry and the bantering, but do it with class! After the Wolf scored it was interesting that they replayed the goal while Nurse was in the process of matching that goal. Again...No class.
                          BTW...Stecklein had a great game & played the majority of the game. I think you will see a different Badger team today!
                          The Wolf scored? LOL...Who is the Wolf? Is that Schammel's nickname?
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Shootout...

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                              Shootout...
                              Oh, you mean those meaningless exercises for the equivalent of extra participation trophy? Got it.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Oh, you mean those meaningless exercises for the equivalent of extra participation trophy? Got it.
                                That's the classy definition from the team on the losing end...

Comment

Working...
                                X