X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I could live with that. Don't you want a UW sweep so UM can finish second?
    Won't matter. Gophers will actually expand their one point lead over the Dawgs after they sweep the final two series of the year.

P.S. Why does it seem that no matter what the game, no matter what the circumstances, the conversation in the Badgers thread always ends up discussing the band? Could it be that the band just doesn't care very much?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
      I don't know, man, we are going to have to agree to disagree. If the issue is not being able to find students willing/able to play the games, that's one thing. However, if it's the very top of the band leadership making the decision for everyone else, I will always have a problem with that.
      I finally looked it up. "Marching Band / Varsity Band" is a one credit 'class' (I assume one per semester.) In the fall, the 'class' requirement is a one hour 45 minute rehearsal four days a week. In the spring, it is a single two hour rehearsal one day a week. As for a requirement for spring Varsity Band, their info brochure says "most of the performances are on a voluntary basis". (I'm guessing the Spring Concert is the exception that necessitates the word "most".)

That's a pretty heavy time investment - particularly in the fall - for one lousy credit.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Won't matter. Gophers will actually expand their one point lead over the Dawgs after they sweep the final two series of the year.

P.S. Why does it seem that no matter what the game, no matter what the circumstances, the conversation in the Badgers thread always ends up discussing the band? Could it be that the band just doesn't care very much?
        If the Gopher Band showed up arbitrarily (if at all) to your games, it would be a topic of conversation in your thread guaranteed. Consider yourself fortunate it's not an issue up there.

Comment

If the Gopher Band showed up arbitrarily (if at all) to your games, it would be a topic of conversation in your thread guaranteed. Consider yourself fortunate it's not an issue up there.
          Obviously those that run our band operations place a much greater emphasis on supporting women's hockey than what they do in Madison. And yes, for that we do consider ourselves fortunate. Having them in the building, doing what they do, does add to what is already a fun atmosphere at Ridder Arena.

Comment

They obviously the band doesn't give a rat's *** about women's hockey. Don't go to all the games, come to the UM, sue, UMD, senior weekend and the playoffs. That's 11 games.

These college kids have plenty of time on the weekends. I'm sure most of us are ex-college kids, we know how much time in the weekend is devoted to much less productive things and making productive and enjoyable noise.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/2...x?path=whockey

Series news/notes/video for showdown vs. #2 UMD. Senior weekend with a chance to clinch the regular season title. Should be a great environment.

Comment

What a crazy game with the Badgers ultimately getting the extra point in one of the longest shoot-outs in league history. Have to give UMD a lot a credit. In the first period, the Badgers were swarming and if not for stellar goaltending from Rooney, it could have easily been 2-0 or worse. As it was, Pankowski had her beat an clanked one off the post.

After that, the game was pretty even for the rest of regulation and overtime. It kind of felt like a game that UMD was playing with really nothing to lose and the Badgers got a little tighter as the game went along not being able to score. After all the close calls and big saves, it was kind of odd to have score on a shot from the top of the circle. With that said, it was a pretty sweet wrist shot from Nurse that went top shelf.

Normally, the Badgers are money with 3rd period leads. After a fairly egregious non-call when a Badger (can't remember who) got blantantly hit from behind right in front of Bradshaw, of course UMD scores soon after on a breakaway. Nice pass out of the zone and Rolfes got caught flat-footed and Brodt made a nice move on Desbiens who was sprawled out but couldn't come up with the save.

Badgers did get a power play in OT, but looked choppy and disjointed. Not sure they really got a good look. Very frustrating since it was their only full PP of the whole game.

If you told me beforehand that Pankowski and Roque would score for the Badgers in the first two rounds, I would have bet a ton that Wisconsin wins the shootout easily. Not to be the case, Bulldogs answer both goals and then the scoring drought began. It's nerve-wracking as hell to be defending the potential last shot knowing the game is over if you give up a goal. After some rather poor attempts by some Badger forwards, it was Steffen (freshmen defenseman) of all people to net the game-winner on a nice shot that went 5-hole. Desbiens cleaned up the last attempt and the Badgers are one step closer to securing the WCHA regular season title.

It will be interesting to see the energy levels of both teams today. With it being Senior Day, a league title in the balance and a deeper line-up, I'll be very surprised if the Badgers don't have the extra step most of the game. But, if Rooney stands on her head and the Badgers get a little loose on defense again, you never know. The Bulldogs can just go out and play, they really have nothing to lose.

Comment

1. In the first period, the Badgers were swarming. After that, the game was pretty even for the rest of regulation and overtime.

2. After a fairly egregious non-call when a Badger (can't remember who) got blantantly hit from behind right in front of Bradshaw, of course UMD scores soon after on a breakaway.

3. it was Steffen (freshmen defenseman) of all people to net the game-winner on a nice shot that went 5-hole.
                  1. I missed the first 10 minutes of the game but when I tuned in the `Dogs were swarming the Badgers and it went on for a decent length of time after which the Badgers returned the favour for an extended period of time as well. If UW was all over UMD in the first 10 minutes then there was even more drama than I witnessed.

2. If this is the one that I`m thinking about the Badger was actually pushed from behind with a hand (don`t recall the players involved) and I thought the `Dog was going to the box and was very surprised when she didn`t. Thought they got lucky there.

3. Thanks for explaining how the winner was scored...as I mentioned, thanks to the graphics person, we were being shown a video while the game winner was being scored and there was no replay!

Would like to have seen Stalder in the game and in the shootout but it is what it is.

Anyway, tremendous game. Hope it`s another good one today.

Comment

6-0 Wisconsin after 2.

I think it's safe to say that the Badgers have figured out to adjust in game 2, after facing a tough challenge against a top team in game 1.

Comment

A glorious day at LaBahn today. After a shaky first couple of minutes, Wisconsin simply flexed on an under-manned and probably out-of-gas UMD team. 8-0 final and it could have been worse. You could tell it meant a lot to the team to clinch the WCHA title on senior day. Only downside (for me personally), was forgetting to record the game on TV. Nothing worse than realizing that when you are virtually already at the arena.

The "3rd line" was flying around all day with Wellhausen getting her first career hat trick and Abby Roque again showing why she is going to fun to watch the next 3 years. After Wellhausen's 3rd goal, there was a slow trickle of hats thrown out then at least a dozen more came down which is easily the most I've seen at a women's game. The PA announcer actually told the crowd to stop throwing hats on the ice. If I had access to the ice, I would have thrown my hat on the ice after reviewing the goal. Don't throw your hat on the ice? That's what happens after a hat trick. That was weird.

I'm curious what UMD was thinking sending Rooney out to start the 3rd. The game was way over at that point. Maybe she asked to stay in, but was quickly pulled after Pankowski's two goals in the first four minutes. Kind of felt like she was hung out to dry.

With the league title in hand, time to go and just play loose up in Minnesota.

Comment

Saturday comments.....The crowd was the best all season in terms of being into the game. Lots of chants started from all areas of the rink. There was a "Lets go red" that had the whole rink in unison, and loud. It was awesome. Game...UW played a horrible 2nd period, though Nurse missed a open net on a 2 on 1. 3rd period Nurse scored a beauty, but she was countered my a UMD goal, off of their patented "let's shoot a forward out of the zone and hope for the best". That's basically the only offense they mustered all weekend, not much of a forecheck. The game could have been a easy win, but the bouncing pucks in the crease all seemed to go UMD's way. It did net them the goal and they drew a penalty as well. I was shocked ARD allowed goals to the first 2 UMD players to score in the shootout. Then she got in a groove, so did Rooney and it was a nail biter, though the quality of the shots was not so good.

Sunday....Crowd just wasn't into the game, maybe all the pregame emotion sucked some life out of the building. UMD had a great first few minutes, then UW settled down and the meat grinder was turned on and fed. Obviously UMD had nothing left in the tank after Saturday, but seeing an 8 spot on the board against a marooon and urine colored team is freaking AWESOME after getting pushed to the brink the day before. Also very awesome to witness a regular season title clinch in person for the second year in a row.

Comment

With the league title in hand, time to go and just play loose up in Minnesota.
                          The looser, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Saturday comments.....The crowd was the best all season in terms of being into the game. Lots of chants started from all areas of the rink. There was a "Lets go red" that had the whole rink in unison, and loud. It was awesome. Game...UW played a horrible 2nd period, though Nurse missed a open net on a 2 on 1. 3rd period Nurse scored a beauty, but she was countered my a UMD goal, off of their patented "let's shoot a forward out of the zone and hope for the best". That's basically the only offense they mustered all weekend, not much of a forecheck. The game could have been a easy win, but the bouncing pucks in the crease all seemed to go UMD's way. It did net them the goal and they drew a penalty as well. I was shocked ARD allowed goals to the first 2 UMD players to score in the shootout. Then she got in a groove, so did Rooney and it was a nail biter, though the quality of the shots was not so good.

Sunday....Crowd just wasn't into the game, maybe all the pregame emotion sucked some life out of the building. UMD had a great first few minutes, then UW settled down and the meat grinder was turned on and fed. Obviously UMD had nothing left in the tank after Saturday, but seeing an 8 spot on the board against a marooon and urine colored team is freaking AWESOME after getting pushed to the brink the day before. Also very awesome to witness a regular season title clinch in person for the second year in a row.
                            Interesting. I thought the energy was pretty good today. Though it was pretty clear after the first period that it was going to be the Badgers' day in a big way. Seemed like more of a celebration over the last two periods. I don't know, I was cheering all the way through, 8 goals and all.

It was a very tense atmosphere on Saturday. The place exploded on the Nurse goal and was hostile as ever when Bradshaw missed the blatant cross-check late in the game. The shoot-out was surreal. I really think getting that extra point took a ton of weight off their shoulders and carried over to today.
                            Last edited by Badger Booster; 02-13-2017, 07:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The looser, the better.
                              I think UW wants to do everything within reason to ensure UM is a 2 or 3 seed in the ncaa's. I'll leave it for MJ and the staff to define "everything within reason", but I'm not sure anything involving UM wins is going to crack that definition. I suppose a couple 1-0 wins for UW doesn't help in the pairwise calculator. My eldest son and 2 buddies are making the trip to Ridder. I told him to be as obnoxious as possible without breaking any laws and not to come home unless he gets thrown out of Ridder.

The Bradshaw no call was the most egregious non-call I have seen in years. Call it crosscheck, call it boarding, call it a checking, call it checking from behind, call it grand theft larsny as the checker then took the puck up the ice, but call it.

Gotta figure out how to get McKibbon and Norby going, I'm not sure Cogan is the answer. Steffen is really playing with a ton of confidence and aggression right now, very impressive. Didn't see Rowe play at all Saturday, but she played Sunday and also showed a lot of confidence, though UMD was playing the role of practice cones through the last 85% of the game.

Why the bloody hehl was the canned music playing in between periods and not the band? If I were the band' I'd just started playing and made them shut that crap off. I'll be emailing someone today to get some answers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                . . . My eldest son and 2 buddies are making the trip to Ridder. I told him to be as obnoxious as possible without breaking any laws and not to come home unless he gets thrown out of Ridder.
                                Nice you can compete with UND to see who can be the biggest holes in the leauge. Having been to Madison a few times I am proud of Gopher fans who have respected the Badger house. The WI fans we met there have all been great even in defeat. The ones that come to Ridder are cut from your cloth and I never understood that.

Comment

Working...
                                X