X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Really slow start to the game yesterday, shots were 9/7 and UW was down 1-0 after 1. 2nd period a little better, shots were 11/8, but yielding 15 sog over 2 periods is not good D, game was 2-2 after 2. 3rd period someone lit a fire under some butts, shots were 23/3 and UW pops 2 goals and wins 4-2. A good gut check game, but the weekend only saw 2 dominate periods as far as sog against BSU, that does make me a little concerned as the weeks before they seemed to be on rails. 4 humongous games coming up, the regular season title and home ice in the ncaa's is in the balance.

Recruit update (I'm obsessed with goalies)..Breenana Blesi is having an awesome season for Maple Grove MN...8-2-1 1.18 gaa and a .943 save %. She's splitting time with Coco Francis, a Union commit, who is putting up even slightly better numbers than her. I think the team was ranked 3rd in the State. From what I quickly perused, there's a MN, a UMD and a BSU recruit on the team as well.

UW D recruit Grace Bowlby is a Ms. MN Hockey finalist. She'll have big shoes to fill with Channel and Ryan moving on. Just a reminder, the other D coming in is Natalie Buchbinder, from NY, as that is where Ryan is from. Both are sized nicely at 5-8, which is also ironic because Channel and Ryan are on the shorter side. Bowlby and Buchbinder were +6 and +5 for the US U18 team in 10 games this last year. Looks like the D cupboard will remain full.
    I've

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Really slow start to the game yesterday, shots were 9/7 and UW was down 1-0 after 1. 2nd period a little better, shots were 11/8, but yielding 15 sog over 2 periods is not good D, game was 2-2 after 2. 3rd period someone lit a fire under some butts, shots were 23/3 and UW pops 2 goals and wins 4-2. A good gut check game, but the weekend only saw 2 dominate periods as far as sog against BSU, that does make me a little concerned as the weeks before they seemed to be on rails. 4 humongous games coming up, the regular season title and home ice in the ncaa's is in the balance.

Recruit update (I'm obsessed with goalies)..Breenana Blesi is having an awesome season for Maple Grove MN...8-2-1 1.18 gaa and a .943 save %. She's splitting time with Coco Francis, a Union commit, who is putting up even slightly better numbers than her. I think the team was ranked 3rd in the State. From what I quickly perused, there's a MN, a UMD and a BSU recruit on the team as well.

UW D recruit Grace Bowlby is a Ms. MN Hockey finalist. She'll have big shoes to fill with Channel and Ryan moving on. Just a reminder, the other D coming in is Natalie Buchbinder, from NY, as that is where Ryan is from. Both are sized nicely at 5-8, which is also ironic because Channel and Ryan are on the shorter side. Bowlby and Buchbinder were +6 and +5 for the US U18 team in 10 games this last year. Looks like the D cupboard will remain full.
      I've been told that the Maple Grove goalie recruit is in the running for MN Senior Goalie of the year. Got a lot of attention after her shutout of the number one seed team in the semifinals of the state tournament last year.

Bolby is an awesome player as well. Lots of stamina. Apparently plays as hard in the 3rd period as she does in the 1st. Edina seems to be the MN girls prep team to beat this year. Lots of talent...

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Is it full now? It's been a number of years since I last thought the Badgers were loaded with defensemen. Last year, it seemed like UW needed to have either Burke or Ryan on the ice most of the time in big games. Who has taken the bulk of Burke's minutes? I thought I read concerns with Channell out that the blue line was a bit thin.

Anyway, when I've watched Bowlby, she is very much an offensive D, with a lot of speed, but prone to some glaring turnovers. In terms of style, I'd compare her to someone like Sydney Baldwin of the Gophers. My guess would be that Buchbinder will be ready to play Johnson's system sooner.
        Thanks for the comments. Would you or anyone else be able to compare Bowlby's HS play with McKenzie Steffen? She has fit right in as a relaible defender and PP contributor.

Loaded with D.....I guess I would define "cupboard will remain full" as full of 6 reliable fundamentally sound D who have international experience. Maybe Bowlby isn't 100% relaible....yet, but she's highly experienced and skilled.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Netminder View Post
          I've been told that the Maple Grove goalie recruit is in the running for MN Senior Goalie of the year. Got a lot of attention after her shutout of the number one seed team in the semifinals of the state tournament last year.

Bolby is an awesome player as well. Lots of stamina. Apparently plays as hard in the 3rd period as she does in the 1st. Edina seems to be the MN girls prep team to beat this year. Lots of talent...
          Interesting user name you have there
          People who know talent & have seen more games than I have think Ms Bolby is the best D in MN high school this year. I thought she was very good but the team she plays on is so loaded it is impossible for me to figure out just how good she is.

Comment

I was actually at the semi final game for the MN Girls Hockey state tournament. Maple Grove was the underdog against Hill Murray. I got to see that Maple Grove goalie in action. Wow! Like 45 shots from a stacked team and still a shut out. M Steffan was on the Hill-Murray team as well. I thought that MG goalie was committed to OSU? Anyway... Steffen stood out even though like 4 of their starting D were D1 commits. It's hard to say if Bowlby is comparable. If I had to comment, I'd say Steffen has more "hockey sense" in anticipating offensive plays. Bowlby seems more athletic and just messes up plays cuz she's a determined player. Hope I don't offend anyone here. Just a retired goalie making observations.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I was actually at the semi final game for the MN Girls Hockey state tournament. Maple Grove was the underdog against Hill Murray. I got to see that Maple Grove goalie in action. Wow! Like 45 shots from a stacked team and still a shut out. M Steffan was on the Hill-Murray team as well. I thought that MG goalie was committed to OSU? Anyway... Steffen stood out even though like 4 of their starting D were D1 commits. It's hard to say if Bowlby is comparable. If I had to comment, I'd say Steffen has more "hockey sense" in anticipating offensive plays. Bowlby seems more athletic and just messes up plays cuz she's a determined player. Hope I don't offend anyone here. Just a retired goalie making observations.

The goalie Blesi is coming to UW, don't know what happened with her @ OSU, but I'm glad she's on her way to Madison.

Thoughtful opinions are always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                Interesting user name you have there
                People who know talent & have seen more games than I have think Ms Bolby is the best D in MN high school this year. I thought she was very good but the team she plays on is so loaded it is impossible for me to figure out just how good she is.
                When I saw the user name, I thought it might be you with a new handle for some crazy reason.

Thanks for the thoughts on Bowlby.

Comment

Edina seems to be the MN girls prep team to beat this year. Lots of talent...

how good can they be?
                  they lost to a Class A school 3 games ago.

Comment

Ha! You are correct, however, there is a lot of controversy about the top two single A teams in Minnesota high school hockey. Because they are private schools, people believe that they recruit players and are number one and number two for that reason. In either case every other single A Minnesota team wants them to move to AA because they are so good. Problem is(I think) that for them to move to AA requires ALL their sports to move up and hockey is the exception, not the rule.
                    Boils down to the fact that those two A teams are definitely competitive with the top AA teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Is it full now? It's been a number of years since I last thought the Badgers were loaded with defensemen. Last year, it seemed like UW needed to have either Burke or Ryan on the ice most of the time in big games. Who has taken the bulk of Burke's minutes? I thought I read concerns with Channell out that the blue line was a bit thin.

Anyway, when I've watched Bowlby, she is very much an offensive D, with a lot of speed, but prone to some glaring turnovers. In terms of style, I'd compare her to someone like Sydney Baldwin of the Gophers. My guess would be that Buchbinder will be ready to play Johnson's system sooner.
                      This meshes with what I have seen as well. I would say that Bowby is the best skating defensemen in the State. Is she the best defensemen in the State from an overall standpoint? No, I'd give that title to Brown.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        This meshes with what I have seen as well. I would say that Bowby is the best skating defensemen in the State. Is she the best defensemen in the State from an overall standpoint? No, I'd give that title to Brown.
                        A comment from "hockeybozo" in the Minnesota Girls Hockey Hub who saw the recent Blaine vs. Hill-Murray game: "Blaine dominated all three lines, I now know why Emily Brown is on the US Teams, she is awesome to watch. She scored two incredible goals."

Obviously both are great high school defensemen and you can't go wrong with either, but with the season almost over Brown has the better offensive stats:
                        Brown - http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/rost...bseason=317782
                        Bowlby - http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/rost...bseason=317782
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          A comment from "hockeybozo" in the Minnesota Girls Hockey Hub who saw the recent Blaine vs. Hill-Murray game: "Blaine dominated all three lines, I now know why Emily Brown is on the US Teams, she is awesome to watch. She scored two incredible goals."

Obviously both are great high school defensemen and you can't go wrong with either, but with the season almost over Brown has the better offensive stats:
                          Brown - http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/rost...bseason=317782
                          Bowlby - http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/rost...bseason=317782
                          Full Disclosure...Bowlby has also been a member of the same US Teams that Brown has. I think in comparing numbers between the 2, there are a couple of factors to consider. Edina has the deepest team talent wise in the State so that will be reflected in lower numbers for the individual players. Plus, they also play one of the most difficult schedules in the State which will also affect those individual numbers.
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-06-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Ms Bowlby is nothing like Baldwin and Steffan. She is a smooth skating defenseman that appears to be figure-skating in open ice..With a bit of speed she uses her skating skill to escape against most HS players...Her physicality is not close to the others. Offensively, she is fine for HS.. Many think she will be best at FORWARD for the Badgers.

Comment

Originally posted by mnwis View Post
                              Ms Bowlby is nothing like Baldwin and Steffan. She is a smooth skating defenseman that appears to be figure-skating in open ice..With a bit of speed she uses her skating skill to escape against most HS players...Her physicality is not close to the others. Offensively, she is fine for HS.. Many think she will be best at FORWARD for the Badgers.
                              It's most likely that Edina will be in the state tournament, so Wisconsin supporters will have the opportunity to view Bowlby and form their own opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                It's most likely that Edina will be in the state tournament, so Wisconsin supporters will have the opportunity to view Bowlby and form their own opinions.
                                Amused/Entertained/Educated by the discussion of Ms. Bowlby. Even if she's "just" the 2nd best defenseman coming out of Minnesota, we'll take it. Three years in a row plucking a player out of the Lake Conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X