X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    Sauer lost control of his teams the last few years and it was time for him to retire. However, I have a friend who worked in the UW athletic department, and she had nothing but good things to say about him, and contrasted him favorably with other big names there.
    Here's a nice piece about him that discusses how, despite being pushed out as Wisconsin's head coach, he remained such a positive figure in hockey: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...9df1bf31f.html

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      He was a mensch, this is very sad news.
      Had to google "mensch"......learn something new every day.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Had to google "mensch"......learn something new every day.
        I grew up with some Jewish neighbors (Grandpa and an interesting tattoo on his forearm) and learned a lot of words. I know the difference between a schlemiel and a schlemazel and was shocked that Buddy Hackett could get away with saying "Putz" on the Tonight Show.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          I grew up with some Jewish neighbors (Grandpa and an interesting tattoo on his forearm) and learned a lot of words. I know the difference between a schlemiel and a schlemazel and was shocked that Buddy Hackett could get away with saying "Putz" on the Tonight Show.
          I see putz has different definitions.......I used to think it just meant you were slow at or slow at getting at a task.

PP is up to 4th in the country, what a great time to get it hot. Love that MJ is putting Mauermann on the pp. I wish I could watch the games this weekend and see how he tinkers with the lines.

Comment

Looks like the Nurse/Cogan flip is going to stick per the line-up sheets for today anyway.

And no Channel.....Bad bad deal.
            Last edited by Timothy A; 02-03-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Looks like the Nurse/Cogan flip is going to stick per the line-up sheets for today anyway.

And no Channel.....Bad bad deal.
              You beat me to the punch. Our depth on defense is now dicey at best.

Comment

Looks like both the men's and women's team will be wearing patches to honor Coach Sauer. Was a big proponent of the women's team when it was formed, which may not be the case for other women's programs.

Comment

Badgers roll Bemidji 6-1 in series opener. Two goals from each line highlighted by Clark and Roque scoring twice.

Comment

A couple weeks ago, after the Wisconsin-North Dakota series, we were talking about ND's rough play, and I pointed this out:

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    In conference games this season, Wisconsin has taken one more penalty than their opponents, Minnesota one fewer, Duluth five fewer, Ohio State one fewer, Bemidji 17 (!?!) fewer, St Cloud and Mankato are dead even.

And North Dakota has taken 23 more penalties than their opponents.

(Last year UND took 11 more than their conference opponents; in 2015, 32 more; in 2014, 20 more; in 2013, 22 more... and on, and on...)
                    Keeping an eye on the 'stat box' for the ND-Duluth game today, each team had a single penalty called through the first two periods. And then ND's third period was boarding, interference, high sticking, roughing, and high sticking (with UMD taking one high sticking). Six called on ND, two on Duluth.

Including today, ND has now taken 31 more penalties than their conference opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                      Badgers roll Bemidji 6-1 in series opener. Two goals from each line highlighted by Clark and Roque scoring twice.
                      Don't like that they allowed 28 sog to Bemidji. The rodents only allowed MSU 9 sog, they had 15 on us in each game. We could be seeing the absence of Channel in the line-up if things don't tighten up with the SOG tonight.

Comment

Don't like that they allowed 28 sog to Bemidji. The rodents only allowed MSU 9 sog, they had 15 on us in each game.
                        The MSU had 12 shots versus UM. I wouldn't worry too much about the Gophers. Even against the Mavericks, they still turned the puck over many times in bad spots, and I don't see them making improvements in their team defense. The offense gets better with Schipper and Piazza back, but it still isn't a team that is ready to win in March.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          The MSU had 12 shots versus UM. I wouldn't worry too much about the Gophers. Even against the Mavericks, they still turned the puck over many times in bad spots, and I don't see them making improvements in their team defense. The offense gets better with Schipper and Piazza back, but it still isn't a team that is ready to win in March.
                          OK for once ARM I hope you're wrong!!!
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Really slow start to the game yesterday, shots were 9/7 and UW was down 1-0 after 1. 2nd period a little better, shots were 11/8, but yielding 15 sog over 2 periods is not good D, game was 2-2 after 2. 3rd period someone lit a fire under some butts, shots were 23/3 and UW pops 2 goals and wins 4-2. A good gut check game, but the weekend only saw 2 dominate periods as far as sog against BSU, that does make me a little concerned as the weeks before they seemed to be on rails. 4 humongous games coming up, the regular season title and home ice in the ncaa's is in the balance.

Recruit update (I'm obsessed with goalies)..Breenana Blesi is having an awesome season for Maple Grove MN...8-2-1 1.18 gaa and a .943 save %. She's splitting time with Coco Francis, a Union commit, who is putting up even slightly better numbers than her. I think the team was ranked 3rd in the State. From what I quickly perused, there's a MN, a UMD and a BSU recruit on the team as well.

UW D recruit Grace Bowlby is a Ms. MN Hockey finalist. She'll have big shoes to fill with Channel and Ryan moving on. Just a reminder, the other D coming in is Natalie Buchbinder, from NY, as that is where Ryan is from. Both are sized nicely at 5-8, which is also ironic because Channel and Ryan are on the shorter side. Bowlby and Buchbinder were +6 and +5 for the US U18 team in 10 games this last year. Looks like the D cupboard will remain full.

Comment

Looks like the D cupboard will remain full.
                              Is it full now? It's been a number of years since I last thought the Badgers were loaded with defensemen. Last year, it seemed like UW needed to have either Burke or Ryan on the ice most of the time in big games. Who has taken the bulk of Burke's minutes? I thought I read concerns with Channell out that the blue line was a bit thin.

Anyway, when I've watched Bowlby, she is very much an offensive D, with a lot of speed, but prone to some glaring turnovers. In terms of style, I'd compare her to someone like Sydney Baldwin of the Gophers. My guess would be that Buchbinder will be ready to play Johnson's system sooner.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                Anyway, when I've watched Bowlby, she is very much an offensive D, with a lot of speed, but prone to some glaring turnovers. In terms of style, I'd compare her to someone like Sydney Baldwin of the Gophers.
                                Excellent comparison.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X