Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Let's go RED!

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    So, this is an odd and fortunate coincidence, and some really good news....

I was at my local library this morning (making photocopies of my tax returns), miles away from campus, and I noticed Baylee Wellhausen was there (?!). So I asked her how Sarah Nurse was doing, and she said Nurse is A-OK; no cut, no concussion, should be ready to go this weekend.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Per Coach Johnson's presser/Todd Milewski, Nurse did practice today. Awesome all the way around.

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Booster View Post
    The officiating was as bad as I've seen. The low mark was Bradshaw calling a penalty against Mankato, but blew the whistle when the Badgers had the puck. I don't know, I just expect better at some point. One question (not rhetorical) I have is what's the rule on icing when players hit the circle at the same time? There were a couple of times where the Badger chasing the puck, at the very least was dead even with the Mankato player and they ruled it icing. If that's the rule, then nevermind.
    On the first thing, I have to disagree with you on how bad the officiating was. I know you've been watching for more than a couple of years. Remember when every 3-4 weeks, they'd refuse to call more than one or two penalties in a series and not even look like they were trying? The refs weren't great this past weekend, but they looked like they were actually trying to officiate a hockey game. We used to see far worse officiating. They would have unobstructed views of players punching opponents in the head and let it go. They'd be watching the play intently, right as a puck-carrier is lumberjack-slashed with no call. Even for women's college hockey, it was inexcusable. (Let's remember how hard it is to find outstanding officials in this league, given the various pathways in the hockey ref landscape.) The past couple of seasons have been notably different. The absolute worst we get now is mediocre at a minimum, rather than completely disgraceful. Let's remember what used to be pretty regular. I remember the Langley/Wrazidlo pair, and sometimes Doocy, would be the officials who seemed to prefer a free-for-all hockey-ish event, rather than making a visible attempt to do their jobs. (I had to find a couple of box scores to spell Wrazidlo and Doocy (how many Os was it?)...they're not on the WCHA site anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Yes, the defense is supposed to get the benefit of a tie, so it should then be icing. Good luck trying to figure out what the rule is based on how the WCHA linesmen/women call it.
    To clarify this, the hybrid icing rule gives the benefit to the defensive team in the event of a tie, but remember that it is not strictly a race to the face-off dots. Whoever has the advantage in the race to the puck gets the benefit of the call, and that decision is made by the time a player reaches the face-off dots. If neither player is deemed to have an advantage at the time of the decision, that's when it's a "tie." One player may reach the dots before the other, but they could still "tie" because of where they're skating and where the puck is going.

Anyway, you know what ticks me off the most about WCHA women's hockey officials these days? The implicit ban on penalty shots. I don't get it. The Badgers got called for hooking...one of those instances of hooking that was a result of the attacking player pulling away on a breakaway, and Minnesota State didn't get a penalty shot! I've seen the Badgers have the same thing happen a few times this season, when a player past all the defenders got hooked, held, or slashed from behind, and no penalty shot. I don't have a copy of the NCAA D-I women's hockey rulebook...does anyone know what the deal is there? Is there some rule that the breakaway has to start from your own goal line or something?

I just wish the officiating would be a little more consistent throughout the game. I haven't noticed it as much recently, but it used to be that when Langley was one of the refs she would often ignore every possible infraction for two periods and then in the 3rd it seemed the whistle would never leave her mouth.

I will say Ludwig did call one penalty shot correctly up in Duluth a few years ago. That's one he got right anyway. I haven't noticed Doocy at any game we were at this year. Retired, maybe? Probably just as well since his officiating had gone downhill in recent years. There are some games such as this past weekend I even miss Brad Shepherd. There were a lot of missed and blown calls on both icing and offside in all three games at Ridder.

Well, I guess the officials are like taxes, "they will always be with us," for better or worse.

I've just been told I probably shouldn't have mentioned the penalty shot on this forum. Sorry.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-28-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Apology

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WiscDC View Post
    Anyway, you know what ticks me off the most about WCHA women's hockey officials these days? The implicit ban on penalty shots.
    The Gophers were awarded a couple penalty shots this year that I can remember, in back-to-back series no less:
    http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/wminstc1.j28
    http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/wminmns1.f04

I suppose we all have things that we never see called, and we wonder why not. I'd be happier if they just called hooking. You'll see players either pulled to a dead stop by a hook or pulled down, and the ref will either shake his head or holler, "No!" No what? No, you didn't see what just happened, or no, you're not going to call it for some reason known only to you?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    I just wish the officiating would be a little more consistent throughout the game. I haven't noticed it as much recently, but it used to be that when Langley was one of the refs she would often ignore every possible infraction for two periods and then in the 3rd it seemed the whistle would never leave her mouth.

I will say Ludwig did call one penalty shot correctly up in Duluth a few years ago. That's one he got right anyway. I haven't noticed Doocy at any game we were at this year. Retired, maybe? Probably just as well since his officiating had gone downhill in recent years. There are some games such as this past weekend I even miss Brad Shepherd. There were a lot of missed and blown calls on both icing and offside in all three games at Ridder.

Well, I guess the officials are like taxes, "they will always be with us," for better or worse.

I've just been told I probably shouldn't have mentioned the penalty shot on this forum. Sorry.
    I am working on a new theory to explain officiating. At the beginning of every season each ref is given a pot of money. This is their potential income for the year. Every time they make a call a set amount of money comes out of the pot. Whatever is left at the end of the season is their pay for the year. I have examined the entire group of WCHA games I have seen this season (including 4 games that did not include a Gopher) and have not seen a contraindication. Taking in comments here from other games I am guessing you all agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I am working on a new theory to explain officiating. At the beginning of every season each ref is given a pot of money. This is their potential income for the year. Every time they make a call a set amount of money comes out of the pot. Whatever is left at the end of the season is their pay for the year. I have examined the entire group of WCHA games I have seen this season (including 4 games that did not include a Gopher) and have not seen a contraindication. Taking in comments here from other games I am guessing you all agree.
    It sounds as good as any other theory I've ever heard. Either some monetary influence as you say or something to do with their eyesight.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I am working on a new theory to explain officiating. At the beginning of every season each ref is given a pot of money. This is their potential income for the year. Every time they make a call a set amount of money comes out of the pot. Whatever is left at the end of the season is their pay for the year.
    Interesting theory....the only question is why was Bradshaw then shoveling money out of his pocket like he was bailing out a sinking boat last Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Interesting theory....the only question is why was Bradshaw then shoveling money out of his pocket like he was bailing out a sinking boat last Friday?
    Job security. Gui had just heard a rumor of layoffs of the highest paid refs for next season.

Let's go RED!

Job security. Gui had just heard a rumor of layoffs of the highest paid refs for next season.
    10-4, but now he needs physical therapy for the right arm he over-used last weekend. I suppose the wcha will cover that as workman's comp.

Interesting recruiting info and ranking in the recruiting thread for UW fans.

I pre-ordered my ncaa quarters tickets. Hopefully they give me the seats I want, but I'm not a donor or anything, just a poor loyal fan, so who knows.

I don't feel like waiting for the official UW release.

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/201703/mar2kaz.php

One step closer for Ms. Desbiens.....

Actually, now that it's available, I'll include the link. The article sums up her year pretty well.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/3...-finalist.aspx
    Last edited by Badger Booster; 03-02-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added UW link

He has an over-developed sense of right and wrong? The exception that proves the rule? His brownie kicked in?

It sounds as good as any other theory I've ever heard. Either some monetary influence as you say or something to do with their eyesight.
    If they had one more eye they would be cyclopes. If they had one more sense they would be Helen Keller.

Thanks Dave!

Not surprisingly, Badgers had nice representation in the WCHA Yearly Awards

First Team:
    Desbiens, Pankowski and Ryan
    (Little strange Morin gets Defensive POY and on 2nd team)

Second Team:
    Nurse

Third Team:
    Clark

All-Rookie Team
    Roque & Steffen

Rookie of the Year:
    Abby Roque

"Goaltending Champion":
    Ann-Renee Desbiens

Nurse's strong February probably got her up to the 2nd team over Clark. Ryan has had a very solid senior year, but not exactly sure how Morin isn't on the first team based on being DPOY.

Let's go RED!

First Team:

Second Team:
    Nurse

Third Team:
    Clark

All-Rookie Team
    Roque & Steffen

Rookie of the Year:
    Abby Roque

"Goaltending Champion":
    Ann-Renee Desbiens

Nurse's strong February probably got her up to the 2nd team over Clark. Ryan has had a very solid senior year, but not exactly sure how Morin isn't on the first team based on being DPOY.
    I would have flipped Nurse and Clark. The eye test says Clark has more impact on a game than Nurse. Roque is certainly a Clark clone in that regards, with even more flash. Roque is on track to be a PK candidate.

UW needs to win today to keep the sue out of the ncaa's.

UW needs to win today to keep the sue out of the ncaa's.
    I guarantee that Wisconsin will not lose to North Dakota today...mainly because they play tomorrow.
    Last edited by Badger Booster; 03-03-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Let's go RED!

I guarantee that Wisconsin will not lose to North Dakota today...mainly because they play tomorrow.
    Hahahaha, I'm such a dope! I was convinced they played today for some reason. Was the final 4 Friday/Sat in the past? I distinctly recall going home a little early to watch the balance of the semi game on Friday.

First Team:

Second Team:
    Nurse

Third Team:
    Clark

All-Rookie Team
    Roque & Steffen

Rookie of the Year:
    Abby Roque

"Goaltending Champion":
    Ann-Renee Desbiens

How Morin is the Defensive Player of the Year and on the 2nd team is beyond me. Honestly and with all due respect to Morin, Desbiens is the Defensive Player of the Year. How can she not be? Unsolved Mysteries!

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    How Morin is the Defensive Player of the Year and on the 2nd team is beyond me. Honestly and with all due respect to Morin, Desbiens is the Defensive Player of the Year. How can she not be? Unsolved Mysteries!
    could it be that the WCHA refs pick these awards?
    FWIW, last year the defensive player of the year was selected as the third team All WCHA - Ivana Bilic

At first I thought it was odd too, but:
    Minnesota can't get mad that Stecklein wasn't selected DPOY, she made first team WCHA
    Wisconsin can't get mad that Ryan wasn't selected DPOY, she made first team WCHA
    UMD can't get mad Morin didn't make first team, she was the defensive player of the year.
    this year it ranks up there with the wisdom of Solomon threatening to chop the baby in half.
    They figured out how to split it three ways

It seems odd to me that they don't select an offensive POY, they haven't for at least the last three years.

Was the final 4 Friday/Sat in the past? I distinctly recall going home a little early to watch the balance of the semi game on Friday.
    Yes, but not as often as I thought.

2006 through 2010, Saturday and Sunday

2011 through 2014, Friday and Saturday

2015 and 2016, Saturday and Sunday

(prior to 2006, all teams in one city for a multi-day tournament)

Thread Information