X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    We can send OSU and BSU postcards from Sr. Charles this March.
    LOL. That's not even that fun to watch and I can't imagine it's fun to play either. Whenever you play not to lose you lose. That sort of hunker down lets have 6 shots on goal the whole game mentality can't be rewarded with a win. If I were UW or UM, I'd actually dump the puck out of the O zone on occasion to create more transition chances.

I wish the UW D on the OSU goal would have not allowed the OSU player to cross in front of the net without engaging the player physically with the body or a stick check. Poor play.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      LOL. That's not even that fun to watch and I can't imagine it's fun to play either. Whenever you play not to lose you lose. That sort of hunker down lets have 6 shots on goal the whole game mentality can't be rewarded with a win. If I were UW or UM, I'd actually dump the puck out of the O zone on occasion to create more transition chances.

I wish the UW D on the OSU goal would have not allowed the OSU player to cross in front of the net without engaging the player physically with the body or a stick check. Poor play.
      It's a grinding game. BSU would get the puck to the wall & just grind & poke until they could get the puck. If the Gophers came away with it there would be 10 skates & 5 sticks you had to shoot through before Mowatt would need a save. Mowatt made 3-4 amazing saves & BSU got an early goal which is never good as it allows them to stay in they style. While I admire the heck out of a team that has the discipline to stick with that style it is no fun to watch. They got a big helping hand from the refs this weekend. There were many times chances were disrupted by holding & interference. One particularly egregious incident M had a 2 on 2, there was a beautiful feed across the slot but the receiver could do nothing because she had a Beaver literally wrapped around her with both arms, no call.

With all the grinding I imagine the women are tired after a game like this.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
        It was discussed, but they're not doing it (for now): http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...roposal-tabled
        There was a moment just before the start of OT yesterday when UW had four skaters on the ice starting to line up for the opening faceoff, and OSU had four skaters on the ice starting to line up; and Nurse (I think it was) got on the ice and started out, and then stopped, and looked back to the bench, and took a step back to the bench, as if to say "Wait, is this 4-on-4 now?"

And then continued out as a fifth OSU skater came out.

For a moment, I wasn't sure, either. It was borderline comical.
        Last edited by robertearle; 10-09-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          There was a moment just before the start of OT yesterday when UW had four skaters on the ice starting to line up for the opening faceoff, and OSU had four skaters on the ice starting to line up; and Nurse (I think it was) got on the ice and started out, and then stopped, and looked back to the bench, and took a step back to the bench, as if to say "Wait, is this 4-on-4 now?"

What was really comical was that penalty call on Boyle with around 3 minutes left in the game after they let so much go in the 3rd. You know what I mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

I had the same thoughts. "Wait, was that for this year or next year? Didn't they decide not to do it? No wait, it was happening, right?" I remembered it came up over the summer, but I forgot everything else about that proposal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I don't necessarily think it's about "playing not to lose" as much as it's about UW's roster outmatching OSU's in most areas, having a goalie who's tough to beat, and having players who are good enough to get in those lanes that the Badgers were trying to find. Unfortunately, "[team A] is better at [these things]" doesn't make for interesting analysis, even if it tells the story. I didn't think OSU was sitting back this weekend, even after holding the lead for a while. They just couldn't make the plays the wanted to, because Wisconsin was faster, was better at puck battles, etc, as evidenced by OSU trying to enter the zone properly - the UW players managed to straight-up steal the puck.

Comment

Most of the coaches were asked about OT rules in the WCHA preseason phone call. IIRC Schlossman was the one that asked, so you may be able to find something he wrote on it, I'm not sure.

For the most part, the coaches are against it. The feeling seemed to be that it would be bad for competitive balance and widen the gap between top and bottom teams even more. There was talk about how big the ice is in St. Cloud or how no one would really like to watch Minnesota State in that case.
                It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                  Most of the coaches were asked about OT rules in the WCHA preseason phone call. IIRC Schlossman was the one that asked, so you may be able to find something he wrote on it, I'm not sure.

For the most part, the coaches are against it. The feeling seemed to be that it would be bad for competitive balance and widen the gap between top and bottom teams even more. There was talk about how big the ice is in St. Cloud or how no one would really like to watch Minnesota State in that case.
                  IIRC, Idalski and Crowell were the two coaches who spoke out in favor of a 4-on-4 OT. You can listen to the coaches' comments here if you like (under Desbiens' photo).
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                    Kind of an odd vibe last night. Big crowd with no band (even though no other competing game on-campus). I know it was the season opener, but it was one of the bigger crowds I can remember for an early October game.

Rolled in 5 minutes late and, of course, missed the quick goal by Clark. For the first two periods, the Badgers just seemed a little out of sync. Ohio State is a physically big team. I thought so just watching them, then when I checked the roster, 19 out of 22 players are 5'8" or taller.

Even though Desbiens only faced 15 shots, several of them were high-quality scoring chances caused by defensive lapses, which is frustrating.

Game seemed to change on the 2nd Clark goal. If memory serves, she came charging up the left side and when the defensemen fell down, it was game over. She seemed to provide a high majority of the energy from the top 2 lines. On the other hand, the Wellhausen-Roque-Mauermann line was engaged all night. Wellhausen and Mauermann were giving up a ton of height/weight, but were getting to loose pucks and were fairly strong with the puck. As said above, Roque looked very comfortable and always around the puck.

The 3rd period shifted to the Badgers. It's where the depth really pays off. They had energy left and Ohio State looked gassed. Plus there had to be some frustration. Buckeyes were playing pretty well (Sauve was really solid in goal) and still on the wrong end of a 3-0 game.

Lastly, congrats to Desbiens for breaking Vetter's career shutout streak.
                    e
                    Quick turnaround with a 1:00 face-off today. It'll be interesting what the energy levels are for both teams.
                    Well kudos to the Ohio St. goaltender Sauve as she was definitely the difference in the game on Saturday as the Badgers outshot the Buckeyes 39 to 7. I think so far through the first four games of this season the most consistent line has been the Badgers third line. They played really well again this past weekend (even without Shaver) and seemed to create scoring chances on many of their shifts. Because of their speed on the forecheck they spent a majority of their time in the Ohio St. zone seemingly buzzing around creating havoc on the Buckeye defense. On a couple occasions both Wellhausen and Roque came close to scoring the go-ahead goal late in the third period. I really loved the way Mauermann stepped in and took Shavers spot on the line. She and Wellhausen were fun to watch especially on the penalty kill. As for the first two lines, there just seems to be something missing. I'm not really sure what it is but, they are just not jiving. There were glimpses in the first game this weekend with Clark scoring twice, so I'm sure the first line will figure it out. Pankowski is a world class player with a ton of skill but, she hasn't scored a goal yet and has only registered 9 shots on goal through the first 4 games. I have a ton of respect for the type of player she is and I'm sure she will get it going. With the second line (or first on Saturday) I just don't see the chemistry with Norby. I know she is a very highly thought of recruit and USA Hockey prospect. And she was a stellar high school player in Minnesota. Again, I'm sure she will figure it out but, both Nurse and McKibbon haven't gotten on track at all yet this season. The power play was also only 1 for 11 on the weekend. I'm wondering if the coaching staff might shuffle things around a bit. Up to this point the team has only scored 14 goals through the first 4 games and the third line has scored 5 of those goals. Gotta get the first two lines going! BTW-- what a beautiful shootout winner Roque scored!
                    Last edited by rangersrule; 10-10-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

3rd line has been the best line so far, interestingly with either Mauermann or Shaver, out of the 9.25 periods I have watched. Maybe they need to stick Mauermann with McKibbon and Nurse, she is small, but she is a wreckingball out there. She could generate some chances with her tenacity. I think the Pankowski/Clark/Cogan line will come around since they did play together last year. To date the best F to me has been Roque. The puck always seems to be on her stick when she's out there. Let's have some fun...

Nurse Roque Wellhausen
                      Pankowski Clark Mauermann
                      Shaver McKibbon Cogan
                      Johnson Norby
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        3rd line has been the best line so far, interestingly with either Mauermann or Shaver, out of the 9.25 periods I have watched. Maybe they need to stick Mauermann with McKibbon and Nurse, she is small, but she is a wreckingball out there. She could generate some chances with her tenacity. I think the Pankowski/Clark/Cogan line will come around since they did play together last year. To date the best F to me has been Roque. The puck always seems to be on her stick when she's out there. Let's have some fun...

Nurse Roque Wellhausen
                        Pankowski Clark Mauermann
                        Shaver McKibbon Cogan
                        Johnson Norby
                        Well the past two posts have been interesting if not entertaining! First of all I would be completely shocked if the coaches would move Norby out of the top 9 forwards. There is very little chance she would ever play anywhere but the top three lines because of all her accolades as a prep player and because she was a member of the US National team last year. Like it or not that holds a lot of clout with the UW coaching staff. Secondly, I'd be surprised if the third line of Shaver, Roque, and Wellhausen (the St. Cloud State weekend version) was broken up. They were very, very good in week #1 and there is a lot of chemistry amongst the three players. Mauermann did a great job filling in for Shaver but, I think the line has much better balance and flow with the first version of the third line. I think the team stays the course and keeps a "wait and see" mentality with the first two lines. We have seen these players flourish in the past and I'm confident they will again. Although with the struggles the power play has had over the first four games I could see some changes happening there.
                        Last edited by pensrule; 10-10-2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Norby is talented but still a freshman and will be a great player. She was sent home from the national team this summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
                            Norby is talented but still a freshman and will be a great player. She was sent home from the national team this summer.
                            That's the kind of second guessing 90 shots on goal in two games gets you! Stay calm folks, they have played four games. Many teams would like to have those kind of problems. Hallelujah!

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/1...-new-york.aspx

Preview news/notes for Clarkson. Pretty much the highlight of the non-conference schedule, though not sure how good Cornell is.

Curious to see the lines for the weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                                http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/1...-new-york.aspx

Preview news/notes for Clarkson. Pretty much the highlight of the non-conference schedule, though not sure how good Cornell is.

Curious to see the lines for the weekend.
                                clarksonathletics.tv and click on the link.

Game time is 2pm CT. They may actually start the broadcast on time this weekend.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X