X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by pensrule View Post
    Rumor has it that a "fill the bowl" game was happening this season at the Kohl Center for the UW Women's team.. Sometime in January is what I heard..
    During the UW football game today, they introduced the women's hockey team during one of the TV timeouts, and a Fill-The-Bowl was mentioned. I'm pretty sure they said Jan 14, vs St Cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      During the UW football game today, they introduced the women's hockey team during one of the TV timeouts, and a Fill-The-Bowl was mentioned. I'm pretty sure they said Jan 14, vs St Cloud.
      It is official! How exciting! Love the fill the bowl events.

I wonder how well the Freshmen will do on the big ice in their first collegiate games? I hope there will be some video available. I'm sure UW will let us know if there is.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        It is official! How exciting! Love the fill the bowl events.

I wonder how well the Freshmen will do on the big ice in their first collegiate games? I hope there will be some video available. I'm sure UW will let us know if there is.
        http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/9...x?path=whockey

Love that this is coming back. Definitely something that should happen every 2-3 years. Not sure the students are back though.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
          Not sure the students are back though.
          That could be a problem.....

Comment

Love that this is coming back. Definitely something that should happen every 2-3 years. Not sure the students are back though.
            It's the last weekend of winter break (classes start the next Tuesday), so a bunch of students will be gone, but a decent chunk will be there. Of course, without a men's home series, that could be the difference for some hockey fans who might come back a few days earlier than Sunday or Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              Historically on other teams Bailey has played center and Roque has typically been a forward.

Of course that means nothing depending how they skate together
              I think that since she has been a Badger, Baylee has only played wing and not center. However, I'm pretty sure she played both while playing prep hockey at SSM. Her speed definitely is more of an asset when she is on the wing and playing in space. She and Shaver play very similar styles- even though one player is 5'10 and the other 5'4. Wellhausen plays bigger than she is when it comes to the battles in the corners or in front of the net. Roque played center with the USA U-18 team and centered a line in 2014 with Wellhausen on a wing and I believe she did the same the following year with Shaver on the wing. I could see these 3 as a very formidable 3rd line for the Badgers. A tough match up for any opponents 3rd line. The Pankowski-Clark-Cogan line is still in tact. McKibbon and Nurse will most likely play together and one would think that the obvious choice to play the other wing position on that line would be Norby. You also have Mauermann and Johnson to round out the 11 forwards. I really don't see a weak link anywhere up front.
              Last edited by rangersrule; 09-21-2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                I think that since she has been a Badger, Baylee has only played wing and not center. However, I'm pretty sure she played both while playing prep hockey at SSM. Her speed definitely is more of an asset when she is on the wing and playing in space. She and Shaver play very similar styles- even though one player is 5'10 and the other 5'4. Wellhausen plays bigger than she is when it comes to the battles in the corners or in front of the net. Roque played center with the USA U-18 team and centered a line in 2014 with Wellhausen on a wing and I believe she did the same the following year with Shaver on the wing. I could see these 3 as a very formidable 3rd line for the Badgers. A tough match up for any opponents 3rd line. The Pankowski-Clark-Cogan line is still in tact. McKibbon and Nurse will most likely play together and one would think that the obvious choice to play the other wing position on that line would be Norby. You also have Mauermann and Johnson to round out the 11 forwards. I really don't see a weak link anywhere up front.
                The only weak link is the 12th forward.

It would be interesting to see Johnson play with a couple playmakers and see what she can do. She's probably the only non blue chippah F on the roster right now.

Comment

The only weak link is the 12th forward.

It would be interesting to see Johnson play with a couple playmakers and see what she can do. She's probably the only non blue chippah F on the roster right now.
                  I honestly don't see the absence of a 12th forward being a problem/weakness at all. Historically, Coach Johnson has played the 4th line sparingly at best--even in blow out games. The women's game is much less physical than the men's game where a 4th "grinder" line is needed. I think with only having 11 forwards this season he will have more flexibility and he will be able to plug players in where he thinks they will produce in the course of a game. 10 of the 11 forwards have international experience and have played at high profile prep/club teams in major competition and tournaments during their careers.
                  Last edited by rangersrule; 09-21-2016, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                    I honestly don't see the absence of a 12th forward being a problem/weakness at all. Historically, Coach Johnson has played the 4th line sparingly at best--even in blow out games. The women's game is much less physical than the men's game where a 4th "grinder" line is needed. I think with only having 11 forwards this season he will have more flexibility and he will be able to plug players in where he thinks they will produce in the course of a game. 10 of the 11 forwards have international experience and have played at high profile prep/club teams in major competition and tournaments during their careers.
                    Good point. I'm a men's fan adjusting to the women's game. Thinking ahead, next year there will be 13 F and the year after 14 F, and they all have international experience less 1, so maybe he could run 4 lines and have the top dogs be fresher at go time in the 3rd period, which would be an advantage against UM.

Lines based on what you had projected:
                    Pankowski Clark Cogan
                    Nurse McKibbon Norby
                    Wellhausen Roque Shaver
                    Mauermann Johnson

Looks good to me. I think that 3rd line can go toe to toe with any foe's 1st line. That will be crucial for dictating mismatches. Last year I did not feel the same way about the 3rd line. I was hoping for a reporter with the first name of Todd would be able to post some lines from practice. We shall see.

It will also be fascinating to see who the back-up goalie is (assuming Cece) and how much playing time will they get? They get a better workout in practice than in some of these games.

Comment

Series news/notes for the season opener with St. Cloud. Kind of strange that women's hockey is actually starting conference play one day earlier than the football team. With that said, It's a Great Day for Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by badger booster View Post

series news/notes for the season opener with st. Cloud. Kind of strange that women's hockey is actually starting conference play one day earlier than the football team. With that said, it's a great day for hockey.
                        Drop the puck!
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Series news/notes for the season opener with St. Cloud. Kind of strange that women's hockey is actually starting conference play one day earlier than the football team. With that said, It's a Great Day for Hockey.
                          May have to pony up some cash and watch tonight's game. I'm just mega interested to see the Fr. play.

On Wisconsin!

Comment

May have to pony up some cash and watch tonight's game. I'm just mega interested to see the Fr. play.

On Wisconsin!
                            I was thinking the same thing. Really want to see the women beat up on the Huskies.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                              I was thinking the same thing. Really want to see the women beat up on the Huskies.
                              LOL! I just love a good beat down too. Some of the women's posters don't like good old fashioned ***** whippings, but I'd have no problem with every win being 8-0.

Let's go RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Comment

Interesting, Rowe is centering Mauermann & Johnson on the 4th line, and Baldwin is listed ahead of Cece for backup goalie. The other lines were as predicted by robertearle.

Comment

Working...
                                X