X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    That goal on the first shift sure set the tone and basically sucked the hope out of Kato.

Sure hope Nurse is ok. The players via MJ said she took a stick to the throat/head. I didn't see the play myself. That line is playing awesome, but I think Mauermann could hold the fort down for a week or 2 if needed, though if UM or UMD get sent to Madison in a few weeks, they will need Nurse for sure.

I for one think the reffing has been ok this year, until this last weekend. Usually Bradshaw is pretty harmless, other than confusing everyone where he wants the faceoff, but Friday he kept having seizures that kept his arm pointing to the sky when UW had the puck. Olsen was content to just look the part and not bother anyone. It was ridiculous. Penalties were 9-4 UW, and UW plays a pretty clean game. He singled out Roque twice in the first period for questionable calls. They missed 3 blatant trips on Mankato. You could have used all 3 as training tools a to what a trip is. Again, after the whistle, with no arm going up indicating a penalty, they threw Wellhausen in the box. One guy in thr crowd calls out "hey ref, you better check your cellphone, you missed 6 calls." LOL. The crowd was again looking for ropes. If they knew he voted for Trump, he'd be MIA.

It was nice meeting Innova Friday, a fellow USCHO poster from the men's side.

I was so bummed Saturday. Despite getting there an hour early, some little kids had scooped up "my" seats, so we sat on the glass behind ARD. I actually brought a hat trick hat that I planned on tossing onto the ice if UW had a hat trick, and they did, but alas, the netting prevented me from tossing it, I was devastated. But I did learn you get your hat back when we left and past the customer help counter, I'm still a newbie on certain things. It was fun being by the students and getting involved in their chants. There was a very nice group of students Friday night near where we sit, that was fun too.
    Got the win, but not without some drama. The Clark goal to start the game probably shouldn't happen at this level. Beat the defender from the outside, came across the crease and beat Crosby. Early goals tend to relax this team and they pretty much went from there. The first line put on a show. Six goals and seven assists with Nurse getting the hat trick. I love the fact that people are throwing hats on the ice. I have done it twice over the course of 17 years following this program. The first time at Kohl, I got threatened by security. The second time at LaBahn it was the lone hat on the ice. Now it's a dozen hats on the ice.

I'm not even sure what to say about the Nurse injury. I didn't see it live. All I know is that she didn't move for about 5 minutes with her hands holding her head. I have never heard LaBahn that quiet. Spooky quiet. Obviously, it's a potential big deal going into the playoffs. With Nurse moving up to that top line, it's the most potent line the Badgers have had in several years.

The officiating was as bad as I've seen. The low mark was Bradshaw calling a penalty against Mankato, but blew the whistle when the Badgers had the puck. I don't know, I just expect better at some point. One question (not rhetorical) I have is what's the rule on icing when players hit the circle at the same time? There were a couple of times where the Badger chasing the puck, at the very least was dead even with the Mankato player and they ruled it icing. If that's the rule, then nevermind.

Anyway, it was a good weekend for the Badgers and was definitely the best environment I can remember for a first round series.

Comment

I wonder if Cece is healthy. We sat behind the UW net and during warm-ups she clearly looked like she was just going through the motions. She did not do go down once into the butterfly.

The Nurse situation was very eerie, as BB said, it was absolutely silent. To me it looked like she was concussed, she did not move one inch in the fetal position and had her hands tight against her face. The penalty call on that was something like "interference with excessive contact", another strange call.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
        One question (not rhetorical) I have is what's the rule on icing when players hit the circle at the same time? There were a couple of times where the Badger chasing the puck, at the very least was dead even with the Mankato player and they ruled it icing. If that's the rule, then nevermind.
        Yes, the defense is supposed to get the benefit of a tie, so it should then be icing. Good luck trying to figure out what the rule is based on how the WCHA linesmen/women call it.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Yes, the defense is supposed to get the benefit of a tie, so it should then be icing. Good luck trying to figure out what the rule is based on how the WCHA linesmen/women call it.
          Thanks for the clarification. I figured that had to be the case. Still doesn't excuse the other multiple issues they had.

Comment

So, this is an odd and fortunate coincidence, and some really good news....

I was at my local library this morning (making photocopies of my tax returns), miles away from campus, and I noticed Baylee Wellhausen was there (?!). So I asked her how Sarah Nurse was doing, and she said Nurse is A-OK; no cut, no concussion, should be ready to go this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              So, this is an odd and fortunate coincidence, and some really good news....

I was at my local library this morning (making photocopies of my tax returns), miles away from campus, and I noticed Baylee Wellhausen was there (?!). So I asked her how Sarah Nurse was doing, and she said Nurse is A-OK; no cut, no concussion, should be ready to go this weekend.

Comment

Per Coach Johnson's presser/Todd Milewski, Nurse did practice today. Awesome all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  The officiating was as bad as I've seen. The low mark was Bradshaw calling a penalty against Mankato, but blew the whistle when the Badgers had the puck. I don't know, I just expect better at some point. One question (not rhetorical) I have is what's the rule on icing when players hit the circle at the same time? There were a couple of times where the Badger chasing the puck, at the very least was dead even with the Mankato player and they ruled it icing. If that's the rule, then nevermind.
                  On the first thing, I have to disagree with you on how bad the officiating was. I know you've been watching for more than a couple of years. Remember when every 3-4 weeks, they'd refuse to call more than one or two penalties in a series and not even look like they were trying? The refs weren't great this past weekend, but they looked like they were actually trying to officiate a hockey game. We used to see far worse officiating. They would have unobstructed views of players punching opponents in the head and let it go. They'd be watching the play intently, right as a puck-carrier is lumberjack-slashed with no call. Even for women's college hockey, it was inexcusable. (Let's remember how hard it is to find outstanding officials in this league, given the various pathways in the hockey ref landscape.) The past couple of seasons have been notably different. The absolute worst we get now is mediocre at a minimum, rather than completely disgraceful. Let's remember what used to be pretty regular. I remember the Langley/Wrazidlo pair, and sometimes Doocy, would be the officials who seemed to prefer a free-for-all hockey-ish event, rather than making a visible attempt to do their jobs. (I had to find a couple of box scores to spell Wrazidlo and Doocy (how many Os was it?)...they're not on the WCHA site anymore.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  To clarify this, the hybrid icing rule gives the benefit to the defensive team in the event of a tie, but remember that it is not strictly a race to the face-off dots. Whoever has the advantage in the race to the puck gets the benefit of the call, and that decision is made by the time a player reaches the face-off dots. If neither player is deemed to have an advantage at the time of the decision, that's when it's a "tie." One player may reach the dots before the other, but they could still "tie" because of where they're skating and where the puck is going.

Anyway, you know what ticks me off the most about WCHA women's hockey officials these days? The implicit ban on penalty shots. I don't get it. The Badgers got called for hooking...one of those instances of hooking that was a result of the attacking player pulling away on a breakaway, and Minnesota State didn't get a penalty shot! I've seen the Badgers have the same thing happen a few times this season, when a player past all the defenders got hooked, held, or slashed from behind, and no penalty shot. I don't have a copy of the NCAA D-I women's hockey rulebook...does anyone know what the deal is there? Is there some rule that the breakaway has to start from your own goal line or something?

Comment

I just wish the officiating would be a little more consistent throughout the game. I haven't noticed it as much recently, but it used to be that when Langley was one of the refs she would often ignore every possible infraction for two periods and then in the 3rd it seemed the whistle would never leave her mouth.

I will say Ludwig did call one penalty shot correctly up in Duluth a few years ago. That's one he got right anyway. I haven't noticed Doocy at any game we were at this year. Retired, maybe? Probably just as well since his officiating had gone downhill in recent years. There are some games such as this past weekend I even miss Brad Shepherd. There were a lot of missed and blown calls on both icing and offside in all three games at Ridder.

Well, I guess the officials are like taxes, "they will always be with us," for better or worse.

I've just been told I probably shouldn't have mentioned the penalty shot on this forum. Sorry.
                    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-28-2017, 11:01 PM. Reason: Apology
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      Anyway, you know what ticks me off the most about WCHA women's hockey officials these days? The implicit ban on penalty shots.
                      The Gophers were awarded a couple penalty shots this year that I can remember, in back-to-back series no less:
                      http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/wminstc1.j28
                      http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/wminmns1.f04

I suppose we all have things that we never see called, and we wonder why not. I'd be happier if they just called hooking. You'll see players either pulled to a dead stop by a hook or pulled down, and the ref will either shake his head or holler, "No!" No what? No, you didn't see what just happened, or no, you're not going to call it for some reason known only to you?
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                        I just wish the officiating would be a little more consistent throughout the game. I haven't noticed it as much recently, but it used to be that when Langley was one of the refs she would often ignore every possible infraction for two periods and then in the 3rd it seemed the whistle would never leave her mouth.

I will say Ludwig did call one penalty shot correctly up in Duluth a few years ago. That's one he got right anyway. I haven't noticed Doocy at any game we were at this year. Retired, maybe? Probably just as well since his officiating had gone downhill in recent years. There are some games such as this past weekend I even miss Brad Shepherd. There were a lot of missed and blown calls on both icing and offside in all three games at Ridder.

Well, I guess the officials are like taxes, "they will always be with us," for better or worse.

I've just been told I probably shouldn't have mentioned the penalty shot on this forum. Sorry.
                        I am working on a new theory to explain officiating. At the beginning of every season each ref is given a pot of money. This is their potential income for the year. Every time they make a call a set amount of money comes out of the pot. Whatever is left at the end of the season is their pay for the year. I have examined the entire group of WCHA games I have seen this season (including 4 games that did not include a Gopher) and have not seen a contraindication. Taking in comments here from other games I am guessing you all agree.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          I am working on a new theory to explain officiating. At the beginning of every season each ref is given a pot of money. This is their potential income for the year. Every time they make a call a set amount of money comes out of the pot. Whatever is left at the end of the season is their pay for the year. I have examined the entire group of WCHA games I have seen this season (including 4 games that did not include a Gopher) and have not seen a contraindication. Taking in comments here from other games I am guessing you all agree.
                          It sounds as good as any other theory I've ever heard. Either some monetary influence as you say or something to do with their eyesight.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            I am working on a new theory to explain officiating. At the beginning of every season each ref is given a pot of money. This is their potential income for the year. Every time they make a call a set amount of money comes out of the pot. Whatever is left at the end of the season is their pay for the year.
                            Interesting theory....the only question is why was Bradshaw then shoveling money out of his pocket like he was bailing out a sinking boat last Friday?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Interesting theory....the only question is why was Bradshaw then shoveling money out of his pocket like he was bailing out a sinking boat last Friday?
                              Job security. Gui had just heard a rumor of layoffs of the highest paid refs for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                Job security. Gui had just heard a rumor of layoffs of the highest paid refs for next season.
                                10-4, but now he needs physical therapy for the right arm he over-used last weekend. I suppose the wcha will cover that as workman's comp.

Interesting recruiting info and ranking in the recruiting thread for UW fans.

I pre-ordered my ncaa quarters tickets. Hopefully they give me the seats I want, but I'm not a donor or anything, just a poor loyal fan, so who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X