X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by pensrule View Post
    Actually when looking at the U-22 invite list, 14 of the 38 players (37%) are '97 or '98 birth years with ZERO experience playing college hockey. I chose to use Courtney Burke as an example in my previous post as someone who more than qualifies and should be on this list ahead of many but, you could make a case for many players that were not invited. It just seems to me that for this particular age group (U-22) there really is no need to take anyone who hasn't played at least one year of college hockey. The player pool is plenty deep enough! I don't care where a player played their prep, high school, or AAA hockey at. The D-1 game is played at a totally different level--a level that is comparable to playing Canada in this series.
    Looking at the blue liners, the players with zero college experience are U18’s, so I’m not seeing the outrage.

You should probably wait and see what happens, if the US gets thumped by Canada in U22 then come on here and blast US Hockey for their selection process. All the people complaining about all the Minnesotans on the last U18 sound pretty stupid considering they won gold. All of the people blasting US Hockey and Katey Stone for leaving Brandt off the Olympic team sound pretty smart considering they lost to Canada and Brandt has 3 Natty trophies (including beating Harvard yuk yuk) and scored nearly all the goals in beating Canada in the last U22.

It is so much sweeter when you are actually correct

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      Looking at the blue liners, the players with zero college experience are U18’s, so I’m not seeing the outrage.

You should probably wait and see what happens, if the US gets thumped by Canada in U22 then come on here and blast US Hockey for their selection process. All the people complaining about all the Minnesotans on the last U18 sound pretty stupid considering they won gold. All of the people blasting US Hockey and Katey Stone for leaving Brandt off the Olympic team sound pretty smart considering they lost to Canada and Brandt has 3 Natty trophies (including beating Harvard yuk yuk) and scored nearly all the goals in beating Canada in the last U22.

It is so much sweeter when you are actually correct
      If a player has a birth year of 1998 or older they are no longer eligible for the U-18 ('99-'00 birth years) team. There are actually 4 defensemen and 9 forwards invited to the U-22 tryouts that have aged out of U-18 but, have not played in college yet.. The 4 defensemen are: Grace Bowbly, Emily Brown, Patti Marshall, and McKenzie Steffen. All GREAT players that I'm certain will have super college careers, but they are not at the playing level that Burke is at at this point of their careers. I think Burke earned her shot. Even though I'm a UW Badger fan, I completely agree with you on Brandt and the 2014 Olympic Team. I also think that Kate Schipper should have been invited this summer as well! I'm not really blasting USA Hockey as much as questioning how they determine who goes and who doesn't. If you look at the invites just from UW and UM alone, there are some players left off from each team that are as good, better, or certainly more experienced than some that were invited. Just interested in what goes into the decision process that's all.
      Last edited by pensrule; 08-02-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

... Just interested in what goes into the decision process that's all.
        poke around the site, for the Olympics I found it in a document somewhere on the site

If a player has a birth year of 1998 or older they are no longer eligible for the U-18 ('99-'00 birth years) team.
        then wouldn't Burke be ineligible for the U22 against Canada?

Comment

poke around the site, for the Olympics I found it in a document somewhere on the site

then wouldn't Burke be ineligible for the U22 against Canada?
          She is a '94 birth year so she is still eligible for the U-22 series against Canada. The U-18 team is picked not only for the Canada series this month but, also for the 2017 World Championships. See the USA Hockey website and it breaks down the selectees into their respective age groups/try-outs. Again, I'm really not trying to sound bitter. Just curious about what goes into the selection process.
          Last edited by pensrule; 08-02-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

. All of the people blasting US Hockey and Katey Stone for leaving Brandt off the Olympic team
            Wasn't Pankowski the last cut and Julie Chu the last on? At any rate Stone sure botched it.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Maybe Canada and the United States can make more people happy by fielding two teams each – heaven knows both countries have enough talent to do so. They are already spending money training 95+ girls – what’s a little more expense in sending a second team to the Olympics? It would probably make for better competition at the Games. … just a thought.

Comment

The Bill Buckner of women’s hockey.

“We wanted the best kids who created the best environment to make the most difficult decisions to put us in the right spot.”

No, that’s not Brad Frost talking about Hanna Brandt and why he has appeared in five consecutive championship games and won four of them, that’s Katey Stone explaining why she didn’t pick Hanna Brandt for the ’14 Olympic team.

Don’t believe it, failure is always an option. When the two best teams meet, only one of them can succeed, that does not make the other a failure. Making statements like that and blowing a two goal lead, I’m sorry, but that was failure.

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                Maybe Canada and the United States can make more people happy by fielding two teams each – heaven knows both countries have enough talent to do so. They are already spending money training 95+ girls – what’s a little more expense in sending a second team to the Olympics? It would probably make for better competition at the Games. … just a thought.
                it would surely be possible elsewhere and would help women's hockey by making it possible for other teams to win, increase interest in those countries, and make them better. It is to the point now where there simply isn't enough room for all the best players to be on one team.

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                  I think that would be terrible for the development of women's hockey internationally. In situations where it is possible for one country/state/province to send multiple teams, it usually happens that one team is loaded with the people who would have made the original single-team roster, and the second team is players ranked 21-40. While it is unlikely that those "B" teams would win gold, it is highly probable that one of them would medal. That lessens the probability of a Cinderella story like the Swiss winning bronze in the 2014 Olympics. Two Team Canadas and two Team USAs might be good for those countries, but it would all but take away the carrot on the stick for the rest of the world.

For an example of this, look at Ontario Blue/Red (sorry, I don't know which is which) in women's hockey or the USA Select team that just played an exhibition versus the USA Olympic Women's Basketball team. The latter would have a great chance to medal if it was eligible.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    According to the UW tweeter, Mauermann is also invited to the USA camp. Pretty freaking awesome 4 incoming Fr are invited. I however did not see Wellhausen on the list tweeted.

The roster is up on the UW site....item of interest is one of the new goalies, Baldwin, is only 5-1. For the record ARD is 5-9 and Cece is 5-7. Mullan is still on the team, she came up from the club level when Miller got hurt last year, so it looks like 4 goalies on the roster. Maybe one can play forward, MJ has not officially filled the 12th forward spot yet.
                    At this point in the summer, I don't see a 12th forward just appearing out of nowhere. Looks like most, if not all, the freshmen are already on campus. I don't remember the last time they weren't able to play 4 full lines. Maybe one of the listed defensemen is being targeted to convert to a forward. It's definitely happened in the past (Mikkelson, A. Kelter).

Comment

Alev Kelter playing Rugby 7s for USA.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        Alev Kelter playing Rugby 7s for USA.
                        Needless to say, one of the most versatile athletes to come out of the UW. I'll admit, I watched more rugby in the last 48 hours than probably the rest of my life combined. Still not sure on all the rules and why the matches are so relatively short (2 7-minutes halves with running time). That and I was curious why Kelter wasn't in the 2nd half (at least I didn't see her) against New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                          Needless to say, one of the most versatile athletes to come out of the UW. I'll admit, I watched more rugby in the last 48 hours than probably the rest of my life combined. Still not sure on all the rules and why the matches are so relatively short (2 7-minutes halves with running time). That and I was curious why Kelter wasn't in the 2nd half (at least I didn't see her) against New Zealand.
                          Most likely short time as it's first showing in the Olympics and as in other sports the IOC is afraid the women can't handle it so they shorten the time.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Most likely short time as it's first showing in the Olympics and as in other sports the IOC is afraid the women can't handle it so they shorten the time.
                            Rugby sevens always play seven minute halves (very rarely ten minute halves). Nothing to do with women vs men, nothing to do with Olympics. Men's Olympic sevens are playing the same three day twelve team format that the women are playing.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              Rugby sevens always play seven minute halves (very rarely ten minute halves). Nothing to do with women vs men, nothing to do with Olympics. Men's Olympic sevens are playing the same three day twelve team format that the women are playing.
                              ^This. If you remember by the time it rolls around next year, the USA Sevens tournament - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Sevens - is fun to watch. The short format means lots of games in short order; it's kind of a rugby festival. Teams play multiple games on the same day.

If you haven't seen any rugby before, you can check out youtube videos of rugby union (the most common form, 15 a side) and rugby league (some slight rules differences, 13 a side). It'll give you an idea of how different rugby sevens is from the main two codes in terms of strategy and pace of play.

Edit: I also forgot to add that rugby sevens allows for a little more parity, because non-traditional powers don't need nearly as much roster depth, and that's helpful when introducing it to the Olympics.
                              Last edited by WiscDC; 08-10-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                                ^This. If you remember by the time it rolls around next year, the USA Sevens tournament - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Sevens - is fun to watch. The short format means lots of games in short order; it's kind of a rugby festival. Teams play multiple games on the same day.

If you haven't seen any rugby before, you can check out youtube videos of rugby union (the most common form, 15 a side) and rugby league (some slight rules differences, 13 a side). It'll give you an idea of how different rugby sevens is from the main two codes in terms of strategy and pace of play.

Edit: I also forgot to add that rugby sevens allows for a little more parity, because non-traditional powers don't need nearly as much roster depth, and that's helpful when introducing it to the Olympics.
                                I love all the Olympic talk and no-doubt Alev Kelter is an amazing athlete! But we are only 5-1/2 weeks from the first games Badger fans! What are people thinking about this years team and their chances to win it all? How about thoughts on line combinations, D-pairings, power play, PK, etc.? Lets get the talks rolling!

Comment

Working...
                                X