This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

So I was up in the Cities for the weekend for things non-hockey related. However, my schedule opened up on Saturday afternoon and I cruised down to Ridder at the last minute. Didn't realize that they actually sell standing-room, which is good because that's all that was left. It's the most people I've seen in Ridder in a long time, if not ever (just for me personally). Got in right after the anthem and had to do a full spin around the arena just to find a place where I could stand behind someone short (or kids as it was). Fortunately, it was also a group of Badger fans, which was nice.

The game itself was very entertaining. Both teams alternated having momentum and had chances to score mutiple goals. The goal at the end of the 2nd was a worst case scenario. Goal, penalty and non-reversed video review. After making a lot of acrobatic saves, the Nurse goal on Peters originally looked soft from my vantage point. Though seeing a replay later that night, it looked like a nice shot from closer in than I thought.

I don't even know what to think about shoot-outs. It's such a dink way to earn a full extra point. However, someone comes out feeling like a relative "winner." Clutch SO goal from Nurse and a hell of a move from Ryan to win it.

Didn't have the chance to get to the Sunday game and only saw the game on TV in passing. I know Roque's play has garnered some talk. She's been aggressive all year, but seemed really cranked up on Sunday. I don't know, I don't mind the chirping and it's not like she isn't getting penalties called on her. I like the combo of skills & attitude, though have to keep it reigned in for the playoffs (especially the NCAAs).

As a Badger fan, there were two things I wanted out of the weekend. Nobody get hurt and don't get swept. The lack of goals didn't really bother me. I think it would have been more concerning if it had been a couple of 6-5 games. I like knowing the goaltending will be there. I've seen the offense go off several times this year and just have to have confidence that they'll spot Desbiens a couple of goals from here on out.

As far as this weekend, just want to advance with no drama and no injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      and a WI girl was second team, a Gopher recruit
      last girl from WI to play for the Gophers won three NC$$

just thought you'd want that mentioned so you can take pride in the girls from your state
      How thoughtful of you. There is not a lot of talent in the WI HS scene that play in WI, so it's nice to hear that at least they play somewhere.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/2...x?path=whockey

Congrats to Desbiens and Pankowski making the final 10 of Patty Kaz. I don't see any scenario where Desbiens doesn't make the final 3. Pankowski had a season resurgence after a relatively rough first month or so.

Comment

Series news and notes for first round series against Mankato. Just need to take care of business, stay healthy and move on.

Not exactly ideal weather conditions rolling in (though much more like hockey tournament weather) and State Wrestling right next door may hinder the crowd size somewhat. Got the notice that the closest area parking in official UW lots will be $8.

Comment

Doesn't look like crowd size will be much of an issue, Tonight's game is sold out!

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
              Doesn't look like crowd size will be much of an issue, Tonight's game is sold out!
              Just saw that tomorrow's game is sold out. If both games are sold out, that has to be a first for the first round WCHA playoff games (excluding games in Verona). Especially since these games are not part of the season ticket package. Very cool..

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post

Series news and notes for first round series against Mankato. Just need to take care of business, stay healthy and move on.

Not exactly ideal weather conditions rolling in (though much more like hockey tournament weather) and State Wrestling right next door may hinder the crowd size somewhat. Got the notice that the closest area parking in official UW lots will be $8.
                Funny how the amount to park changes for the women's games in lot 91 (when not free), $5 to $8.

Couple great articles about Roque on the interweb.

I agree, let's stay healthy. I'd consider putting Cece in if/when UW can get a 3 goal lead. Kato has nothing left to play for and they knocked ARD out previously. In reality I'd trust Cece to play the whole weekend, but why take the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Funny how the amount to park changes for the women's games in lot 91 (when not free), $5 to $8.

Couple great articles about Roque on the interweb.

I agree, let's stay healthy. I'd consider putting Cece in if/when UW can get a 3 goal lead. Kato has nothing left to play for and they knocked ARD out previously. In reality I'd trust Cece to play the whole weekend, but why take the chance.
                  I would imagine the parking increase is more due to state wrestling. It'll be interesting what the price is for the private lot just south of LaBahn. Assuming it's not pouring freezing rain, I'll park a little farther out in some (normally) free parking spots.

Comment

Especially since these games are not part of the season ticket package. Very cool..
                    That surprises me. The Gophers' women's are included for the first round same as the men's when they were in the WCHA. If I remember correctly, if the 1st round was away we could either get a refund or donate the cost of the tickets.
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Just saw that tomorrow's game is sold out. If both games are sold out, that has to be a first for the first round WCHA playoff games (excluding games in Verona). Especially since these games are not part of the season ticket package. Very cool..
                      Whoops, I didn't look closely enough to see that it is tomorrow's game, not tonight's, that is sold out.

That said, if tomorrow's sold out already, I'd bet it ends up sold out - or very close to it - tonight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                        That surprises me. The Gophers' women's are included for the first round same as the men's when they were in the WCHA. If I remember correctly, if the 1st round was away we could either get a refund or donate the cost of the tickets.
                        That was the case when I had Badger men's season tickets. You had to pay for them up front and then get a refund if they ended up on the road. As far as I can remember, the first round has always been a separate purchase. The season ticket package is so affordable I don't feel that put out spending the extra money, plus the ticket prices are the same as the regular season.

Comment

Fun and physical game last night. One of the bigger (if not biggest) crowds for a Friday night first round game. It also seems that there are more actual UW students coming to the games. Instead of a student section, they just sit throughout the arena. Maybe this has been the case the last couple of years, but I'm just starting to notice it.

After going 4 straight periods without a goal, the floodgates opened in the 2nd period. After not producing a ton lately, the 2nd line came back in a big way with two goals from both McKibbon and Cogan. I get the feeling these two teams are getting tired of each other. A lot of contact and barking at each other.

How penalties are called is still a mystery. For both teams, there are seemingly clear tripping/body checking/slashing that go uncalled right in front of a ref, then there seem to be nickel-and-dime penalties called. Granted, this has been the case for a long time, but it doesn't make it less frustrating.

As I've said before, let's just this series done without any drama and injuries.
                          Last edited by Badger Booster; 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

How penalties are called are still a mystery. For both teams, there are seemingly clear tripping/body checking/slashing that go uncalled right in front of a ref, then there seem to be nickel-and-dime penalties called. Granted, this has been the case for a long time, but it doesn't make it less frustrating.

As I've said before, let's just this series done without any drama and injuries.
                            IMO, Gui Bradshaw is this year's "worst ref in the league" and he certainly lived up to that reputation last night. But it makes a certain amount of sense that Wisconsin-vs-Mankato would be assigned the worst pair, because it is the series they are least likely to screw up. Bad reffing could be THE difference in a series like Ohio-vs-NorthDakota, but it is only going to change the scores and not the overall outcome with Badgers and Mankato. (Note as well that Ohio and UND got Pasky and Ludwig, who are - like it or not - the league's best pair.)

Comment

Unfortunately, today's game has the potential to be even more physical. I expect a much closer game. Never easy to end someone's season.

Comment

That goal on the first shift sure set the tone and basically sucked the hope out of Kato.

Sure hope Nurse is ok. The players via MJ said she took a stick to the throat/head. I didn't see the play myself. That line is playing awesome, but I think Mauermann could hold the fort down for a week or 2 if needed, though if UM or UMD get sent to Madison in a few weeks, they will need Nurse for sure.

I for one think the reffing has been ok this year, until this last weekend. Usually Bradshaw is pretty harmless, other than confusing everyone where he wants the faceoff, but Friday he kept having seizures that kept his arm pointing to the sky when UW had the puck. Olsen was content to just look the part and not bother anyone. It was ridiculous. Penalties were 9-4 UW, and UW plays a pretty clean game. He singled out Roque twice in the first period for questionable calls. They missed 3 blatant trips on Mankato. You could have used all 3 as training tools a to what a trip is. Again, after the whistle, with no arm going up indicating a penalty, they threw Wellhausen in the box. One guy in thr crowd calls out "hey ref, you better check your cellphone, you missed 6 calls." LOL. The crowd was again looking for ropes. If they knew he voted for Trump, he'd be MIA.

It was nice meeting Innova Friday, a fellow USCHO poster from the men's side.

I was so bummed Saturday. Despite getting there an hour early, some little kids had scooped up "my" seats, so we sat on the glass behind ARD. I actually brought a hat trick hat that I planned on tossing onto the ice if UW had a hat trick, and they did, but alas, the netting prevented me from tossing it, I was devastated. But I did learn you get your hat back when we left and past the customer help counter, I'm still a newbie on certain things. It was fun being by the students and getting involved in their chants. There was a very nice group of students Friday night near where we sit, that was fun too.

Comment

Working...
                                X