X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Another game where the score doesn't even remotely tell what happened during the game.

Cornell's goalie played an absolutely amazing game stopping a ton of close range shots.
    I see where the shots were 54-11, so you're not exaggerating.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      Another game where the score doesn't even remotely tell what happened during the game.

Cornell's goalie played an absolutely amazing game stopping a ton of close range shots.
      Udder domination by UW. Cornell didn't look any different than St. Cloud or Mankato, in fact they probably looked worse. The ECAC must be bad. The whole 2nd period with the long change looked like a pp for UW.

Sure hope ARD gets cleared to play next week.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Udder domination by UW. Cornell didn't look any different than St. Cloud or Mankato, in fact they probably looked worse. The ECAC must be bad. The whole 2nd period with the long change looked like a pp for UW.

Can't argue that they didn't dominate, but the Cornell goalie was a stud throughout.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Udder domination . . .
          I'm sure they have websites for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            Even YouTube has that if you search for "family guy cow branded."

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              I was hoping someone would pick up on the Wisconsin-centric reference there, though that's not the angle I was expecting. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Well it was 2 cow colleges playing each other. Glad you could milk the theme, even though it was a bit cheesey.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

One of the things UW tried to do when Cornell was all bottled up in the D zone was get the puck to the strong side D, then pass to the other D, who stopped the puck, then made a move, pass, shoot or move in. That D has to shoot off the pass to not allow the G and defenders to square up. You just don't see a lot of shooting off the pass in women's college hockey in general. If I was a coach, we'd work on that every day.

Reffing last night was pretty good (Enge & Bradshaw), they missed an obvious cfb against Cornell in the first and they missed an obvious trip by UW as well. The linesmen had an inordinate amount of icings waved off, very strange. Usually Fitzsimons and Reinen are the linesmen, but Reinen was not there and Thiele was. Bradshaw was way better than last time.

It sucked not constantly yelling "Let's go red". Had to go with Badgers and once and awhile I mixed in white.

Comment

Reffing last night was pretty good (Enge & Bradshaw), they missed an obvious cfb against Cornell in the first and they missed an obvious trip by UW as well. The linesmen had an inordinate amount of icings waved off, very strange. Usually Fitzsimons and Reinen are the linesmen, but Reinen was not there and Thiele was. Bradshaw was way better than last time.
                    Same ref's Saturday night, but must have left their eyes in the locker room. First period was littered with non-calls. UW got away with 2 blatant non-calls, one in the second and one in the 3rd. Pankowski LEVELED a Cornell player with 15 seconds to go out in the open ice, no call.

Game...Cornell didn't generate that many more chances than the night before, but UW's shot total plummeted, though they scored more goals. The game had more flow and Cornell wasn't as bottled up as Friday night. Cece did have one big save, but other than that she wasn't that tested. She was too passive on the first goal, she left a rebound just sit there, seems like she stared at it for hours, then it got popped in over her shoulder. She should have dove on it or poked it away. I never did get a good look at the 2nd goal, a ppg.

Quite honestly I am afraid of having Cece play against the rodents. She's going to be another great goalie, but we're talking about the rodents here, they have the best line in college hockey. This series could be a high scoring affair.

Comment

She was too passive on the first goal, she left a rebound just sit there, seems like she stared at it for hours, then it got popped in over her shoulder. She should have dove on it or poked it away.
                      Can't comment on this particular instance but generally this is an issue I have with most goaltenders which I've mentioned before...ie: they are locked into a 100% defensive attitude. It's not too often that you will see a goaltender, even the good ones, get aggressive with a poke check but in adopting that completely defensive attitude they are voluntarily giving away a very valuable weapon.

Goaltending is a defensive position but that doesn't mean that you can't have a proactive/offensive mindset while playing that defensive position. Sure, sometimes that will backfire but more often than not preempting a scoring opportunity by being aggressive will decrease the number of pucks that you would otherwise be digging out of your net. Forwards in the women's game are not used to being challenged in that manner...having their time and space reduced by a goaltender...as a result the element of surprise usually works to the goaltender's advantage. "Sticks" are tools/weapons of the game and that is no less so for choolies. Ditto, and more importantly, for aggressive attitudes.

Add this attitude (to always be emanating from an offensive mode/mindset and the willingness/eagerness to act on such opportunities as they are presented to you) to tremendous technical and cerebral skills and you have a tremendous goaltender.

As I've mentioned before as well, I think this what made Raty such a dominant goaltender and set her apart from a number of others who had the same elite technical skills as she had. She had a secret weapon that is available to all of them and she kept it protected and well hidden out of sight...between her ears...until it was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                        Can't comment on this particular instance but generally this is an issue I have with most goaltenders which I've mentioned before...ie: they are locked into a 100% defensive attitude. It's not too often that you will see a goaltender, even the good ones, get aggressive with a poke check but in adopting that completely defensive attitude they are voluntarily giving away a very valuable weapon.

Goaltending is a defensive position but that doesn't mean that you can't have a proactive/offensive mindset while playing that defensive position. Sure, sometimes that will backfire but more often than not preempting a scoring opportunity by being aggressive will decrease the number of pucks that you would otherwise be digging out of your net. Forwards in the women's game are not used to being challenged in that manner...having their time and space reduced by a goaltender...as a result the element of surprise usually works to the goaltender's advantage. "Sticks" are tools/weapons of the game and that is no less so for choolies. Ditto, and more importantly, for aggressive attitudes.

Add this attitude (to always be emanating from an offensive mode/mindset and the willingness/eagerness to act on such opportunities as they are presented to you) to tremendous technical and cerebral skills and you have a tremendous goaltender.

As I've mentioned before as well, I think this what made Raty such a dominant goaltender and set her apart from a number of others who had the same elite technical skills as she had. She had a secret weapon that is available to all of them and she kept it protected and well hidden out of sight...between her ears...until it was needed.
                        I believe goalies are rewarded/praised for defensive abilities and ignored for offensive skills. Make an offensive effort & get burned and you will hear about it. Stay at home and get beaten and it is "better luck next time". Its all about expectations.

Comment

Same ref's Saturday night, but must have left their eyes in the locker room. First period was littered with non-calls. UW got away with 2 blatant non-calls, one in the second and one in the 3rd. Pankowski LEVELED a Cornell player with 15 seconds to go out in the open ice, no call.

Game...Cornell didn't generate that many more chances than the night before, but UW's shot total plummeted, though they scored more goals. The game had more flow and Cornell wasn't as bottled up as Friday night. Cece did have one big save, but other than that she wasn't that tested. She was too passive on the first goal, she left a rebound just sit there, seems like she stared at it for hours, then it got popped in over her shoulder. She should have dove on it or poked it away. I never did get a good look at the 2nd goal, a ppg.

Quite honestly I am afraid of having Cece play against the rodents. She's going to be another great goalie, but we're talking about the rodents here, they have the best line in college hockey. This series could be a high scoring affair.
                          A couple of nice wins this weekend vs. Cornell. Fridays game was total domination by the Badgers yet as you were watching the game you still had that uneasy feeling when the score was still 0-0 half way through the third period. Then Wellhausen finally puts them up 1-0 off a nice pass from Roque. Nurses goal pretty much sealed the deal a few minutes later followed by the empty netter by Pankowski. Although not tested often, I thought Cece held her own in net throughout both games. Saturdays game was a bit more choppy with not much rhythm at all I thought. Though UW got off to a fast start by scoring early, the power play really hasn't been good all season long up to this point. They were 1 for 9 over the weekend and are only at 12.7% percent on the season. It seems to me that this team should just roll the 3 lines during the man advantage. I know EVERY team HAS to have power play units. I'm just not sure how important it is for THIS team. They completely dominate 5 vs 5 for long stretches of time when rolling three lines then the opponent gets called for a penalty. Then we mix and match our lines to create power play units only to fail about 90% of the time! The lines get all mixed up and it takes about 5 or 6 minutes to get the momentum back! I would rather just see the Badgers roll all 3 lines during a power play and keep attacking the opponent as if it was even strength play. There is no doubt in my mind that the results would be better than what the current power play units have been producing up to this point.

This weekend will be BIG! Should be a great atmosphere at LaBahn with the Gophers in town!
                          Last edited by rangersrule; 11-28-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                            They completely dominate 5 vs 5 for long stretches of time when rolling three lines then the opponent gets called for a penalty. Then we mix and match our lines to create power play units only to fail about 90% of the time! The lines get all mixed up and it takes about 5 or 6 minutes to get the momentum back! I would rather just see the Badgers roll all 3 lines during a power play and keep attacking the opponent as if it was even strength play. There is no doubt in my mind that the results would be better than what the current power play units have been producing up to this point.
                            I love your idea. There's plenty of talent @ F to run 3 PP's. Or they can try what G2O did and have 5 forwards on the PP, but than that REALLY jumbles things up.

I want ARD to be healthy this weekend. We need all cylinders firing to beat the rodents.

Comment

Also love the jazzed up paint job in Labahn........apparently they are not done either. It sure screams cardinal and white now. I do like the "Forever Forward" tag line.

Comment

Sure hope the loser band is there this weekend. Yeah, I'm holding a grudge on this too.

Comment

Working...
                                X