This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Well, a road to the championship game w/o playing another WCHA team before getting there. I like it. A lot. BC has been living on borrowed time the last 3 weeks, I don't know if they'll even get past St. L, but I've been wanting UW to play them the last few years, maybe UW will get a chance. I'll do some digging around about Bob Morris as the week progresses, but I'm very thankful for the chance to watch a game @ Labahn one more time.

Few thoughts on the games we just saw.....That UND goal Saturday was some bad D by UW, there were enough players back to be able to rub Menke (sp?) out. I did not see other than on my phone, so I don't know how it got past ARD. Kolstadt solidified her place in the goon hall of fame for the DQ punch she threw late in the 3rd that screwed her team over, haha. She already hurt someone this year, don't we have 3 more years of her to look forward to? Yikes.

UMD game....missed the first period, was on the road, but the gals played hard and kept the pressure on. In the next few games, goal scoring may be at a premium, and it good to see them be in 2 tight games and then be able to crack the nut for the win, though allowing inferior teams to hang around is worrisome, but on the other hand UW has the depth to wear teams down and close the deal in the 3rd. The pp needs to get back to working a bit better. Not scoring on a 5 minute with that kind of talent is bad.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Well, a road to the championship game w/o playing another WCHA team before getting there. I like it. A lot. BC has been living on borrowed time the last 3 weeks, I don't know if they'll even get past St. L, but I've been wanting UW to play them the last few years, maybe UW will get a chance. I'll do some digging around about Bob Morris as the week progresses, but I'm very thankful for the chance to watch a game @ Labahn one more time.

Few thoughts on the games we just saw.....That UND goal Saturday was some bad D by UW, there were enough players back to be able to rub Menke (sp?) out. I did not see other than on my phone, so I don't know how it got past ARD. Kolstadt solidified her place in the goon hall of fame for the DQ punch she threw late in the 3rd that screwed her team over, haha. She already hurt someone this year, don't we have 3 more years of her to look forward to? Yikes.

UMD game....missed the first period, was on the road, but the gals played hard and kept the pressure on. In the next few games, goal scoring may be at a premium, and it good to see them be in 2 tight games and then be able to crack the nut for the win, though allowing inferior teams to hang around is worrisome, but on the other hand UW has the depth to wear teams down and close the deal in the 3rd. The pp needs to get back to working a bit better. Not scoring on a 5 minute with that kind of talent is bad.
      That is the crux of the matter for anyone who plays Wisconsin. You may be able to hang with them for a while but eventually the depth factor will take over.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I'll do some digging around about Bob Morris as the week progresses, but I'm very thankful for the chance to watch a game @ Labahn one more time.
        Maybe it's a consequence of CHA reffing, but RMU takes a *large* number of penalties. 187 over 34 games (only one major), or 5.5 per game, 11.3 minutes per game. Their opponents took even more - meaning it could just be CHA refs - 196 for 12.1 minutes per game. RMU power play converts 18%, and their PK allows at 10%. Almost 30% of their goals come on the PP.

(For comparison, UW has taken the second most penalties in the WCHA, but only 149 compared to that 187, only 4 per game compared to that 5.5, only 20% of their goals on PP compared to RMU's 30%.)

So, even more than usual, who the refs are and how they call things will be a factor.

Comment

I woke up at 9 this morning and they were already sold out for Saturday. I am glad the program is killing it these days but I'm definitely bummed for myself! Hopefully there will be some extra tickets floating around on Saturday, there usually are.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
            I woke up at 9 this morning and they were already sold out for Saturday. I am glad the program is killing it these days but I'm definitely bummed for myself! Hopefully there will be some extra tickets floating around on Saturday, there usually are.
            There was an email announcing the chance to pre-order tickets two weeks ago. If you're not on their email list, you should get yourself on it, for next time.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              There was an email announcing the chance to pre-order tickets two weeks ago. If you're not on their email list, you should get yourself on it, for next time.
              I get all kinds of emails from the athletic department but I do not recall an email like that. Do you know where specifically I can go to get on the women's hockey email list? There is not an obvious place to sign up for it on their website (or perhaps it is obvious and I just can't find it). Or maybe it's a list of season ticket holders?

Comment

Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
                I get all kinds of emails from the athletic department but I do not recall an email like that. Do you know where specifically I can go to get on the women's hockey email list? There is not an obvious place to sign up for it on their website (or perhaps it is obvious and I just can't find it). Or maybe it's a list of season ticket holders?
                I think the pre-order option was for season ticket holders only. Not 100% sure. Speaks to the demand as I pre-ordered and this is the first time I'm not near center ice.

With that said, it still looks like there are standing-room only tickets left, but are going fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  With that said, it still looks like there are standing-room only tickets left, but are going fast.
                  You could also keep an eye on Craigslist; there's nothing there right now, but as the week goes on...

https://madison.craigslist.org/search/tia?query=women

Comment

The game is now officially sold out.

Do you think UW ever regrets cheaping out on the 4,000 seat arena that was originally planned? It was always dumb to only put 2,300 seats in for a team that would routinely draw 3,000+ at the Kohl Center, and situations like this are a good reminder of that poor decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post

Do you think UW ever regrets cheaping out on the 4,000 seat arena that was originally planned? It was always dumb to only put 2,300 seats in for a team that would routinely draw 3,000+ at the Kohl Center, and situations like this are a good reminder of that poor decision.
                      Do they limit SRO to just one row at the rail? Seems to me they could sell more SRO tickets than they currently do.

Comment

I think there may be some that regret it who are close to the team support-wise, but if they didn't cheap it out, they may not have got it at all (which maybe wasn't a bad idea?). The issue was they didn't need to cheap it out, the AD is flush with FB and BB money. Perhaps for a game like this they could have moved it to the KC, but would that hurt the home ice advantage?
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

What was the plan for 4,000 seats? A second level, like Ridder? They could have gone 'up' but I don't think there's enough room to have gone 'out' much more.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            What was the plan for 4,000 seats? A second level, like Ridder? They could have gone 'up' but I don't think there's enough room to have gone 'out' much more.
                            Yeah, the original plan was for around 4,400. There were some nice renderings on-line that disappeared once the scaled back version went forward. I regret not saving/printing them out. Can't remember if it was a 2nd deck or just seating all the way around and going up farther.

Unfortunately, a lot of the fundraising was done when the economy was down and the men's team was griping about getting a facility ASAP. At some point, decisions were made that have had longer term consequences. The inability to host either a WCHA or NCAA tournament is a real slap in the face for Wisconsin women's hockey fans.

Comment

It took a little searching to find them (especially since it didn't take the LaBahn name until after the current arena construction was approved), but I found some of the original sketches and renderings from the plans for a 4,400 seat arena proposed in 2007.

The original plans and drawings start around page 30 of the pdf:
                              http://www.uwathletics.com/sport_new...rt/mp_6565.pdf

What's interesting is not only did those drawings not include plans for a 2nd deck - other than a few suites - it actually had the arena aligned so there were no seats along one entire side of the arena - still a U shape, but with seats going behind both goals. I really didn't remember that aspect of things, and thought current the no seats behind one of the goals was one of the original plans all along - something that always stood out, because I like sitting behind the goals and knew I would be losing my seats when they moved.

As others mentioned, proposing a new arena in 2007-08 really couldn't have been worse in terms of timing for funding, but the short term solution really has had long-term consequences - and we talked about the problems before the doors to LaBahn even opened.
                              Last edited by Nowheresville; 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                                I think the pre-order option was for season ticket holders only. Not 100% sure. Speaks to the demand as I pre-ordered and this is the first time I'm not near center ice.

They were sold out of standing room tickets when I stopped by the box office around 10:45 this morning. People will put extra tickets behind the glass inside the entrances to LaBahn. That is how I got into the second game against Duluth a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that will work out for me again!

I would love to see a WCHA/NCAA tourney in Madison. I will be perpetually annoyed that Minnesota frequently gets home ice advantage for these things.

Comment

Working...
                                X