Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2016.1 -- Anyone have a Laine on a new Auston?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2016.1 -- Anyone have a Laine on a new Auston?

First night with four OT games in over 30 years.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Things going as expected so far. CHI and MN looking to end their series in 4 games. Just like we all thought in February.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Can't wait till game 3 to start caring. The Hawks have gotten away with it many times over this run but they are getting older and slower by the year.

They're simply not good enough anymore to give away games in a series and still recover.

At least a Preds/Blues series should be an entertaining brand of hockey.

If you're into neutral zone clusterf_ck hockey.

That's the sad part. A Wild/Hawks series would have been great. Actual hockey with flow and transition. Who would want that?

Nah... the refs should just let them play.

/semi-rant coz ultimately it's still on the Hawks for not being ready to go game 1.

Glass half full?

Win Thursday and then at home and all the pressure falls on the Preds to closeout in game 6.

Glass empty?

As I said, the Hawks look old and slow and the new blood that looked good in the regular season probably needs to fail in the playoffs in order to fully understand what they need to bring next time.

Comment

Going to bed after the second period is the best decision I'll make all week.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Fine post from beginning to end. It is going to take quite a while to fully process this season, at least for me. But you've identified several major factors:

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Can't wait till game 3 to start caring. The Hawks have gotten away with it many times over this run but they are getting older and slower by the year.

They're simply not good enough anymore to give away games in a series and still recover.
            Agreed.

I would add that it can take a few games for an offense to solve a defense; and that's a story we've seen multiple times over the years. But in this series we're experiencing a deficit in terms of hunger & motivation -- no question about it.

At least a Preds/Blues series should be an entertaining brand of hockey.

If you're into neutral zone clusterf_ck hockey.

That's the sad part. A Wild/Hawks series would have been great. Actual hockey with flow and transition. Who would want that?
            Me.

Have to admit I'm also guilty of looking ahead, and discouraged by the prospect of a pair of "defense first" teams meeting in the next round. That's a disappointment that goes beyond rooting interest. Don't mean to disrespect the Preds or the Blues for what they're (apparently) about to accomplish. But for my personal viewing, I'll probably be checking out the other divisions. Or maybe getting an earlier than usual start on MLB.

Nah... the refs should just let them play.

/semi-rant coz ultimately it's still on the Hawks for not being ready to go game 1.
            The officiating has been consistent. But it's also been just different enough from the regular season that it may be tipping the balance of power from offense to defense. At least in a close match-up.

Glass half full?

Win Thursday and then at home and all the pressure falls on the Preds to closeout in game 6.
            That will certainly be my mindset going into Game 4. I'm not quitting on the team; I'm in until the bitter end. Yes, objectivity requires an admission that I expect the end to be earlier and more bitter than usual. But getting to Game 6 is not a mission impossible.

Glass empty?

As I said, the Hawks look old and slow and the new blood that looked good in the regular season probably needs to fail in the playoffs in order to fully understand what they need to bring next time.
            We're less deep at forward than we've grown accustomed to, and part of that is indeed due to inexperience. Learning a few lessons from the school of hard knocks may well be in order. And that's actually a glass half full argument for 2018 and beyond.

As for the aging thing, remember back to 2015? How that was our last best chance to win a Cup because of the aging core, and the next round of salary cap hits? Well, here we are 2 two years later, with our high expectations very much intact.

I dunno. Maybe we spent a little too much energy chasing the top seed in the West. Maybe we got a little too satisfied after accomplishing that objective. Or, maybe we've just slipped back into the pack due to key players being two years older and a step slower. Like I said up front, this one is going to take a long time to process.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              Toews (now with no goals in 12 straight playoff games)
              Here's something I thought I'd never see.

Is he getting...old?

Comment

Heard the other day that so far in the playoffs the teams that were hot going in are staying that way. Minnesota and Chicago were not hot going in.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Go watch the Leafs-Caps third period. It's a different game than the slog that was game 3 in Nashville. I'm all in on the Leafs. The Chicago Cubs of the NHL.
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Heard the other day that so far in the playoffs the teams that were hot going in are staying that way. Minnesota and Chicago were not hot going in.
                    Kinda, Pit was pretty terrible going in but that was also sans Malkin, Rust, Maatta, Daley, Hagelin, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                      The officiating has been consistent. But it's also been just different enough from the regular season that it may be tipping the balance of power from offense to defense. At least in a close match-up.

That will certainly be my mindset going into Game 4. I'm not quitting on the team; I'm in until the bitter end. Yes, objectivity requires an admission that I expect the end to be earlier and more bitter than usual. But getting to Game 6 is not a mission impossible.

The officiating is pretty much the same as it's been every season and every season certain teams (STL, Nash, Anaheim, etc) play the Hawks like the Preds are.

Clutch, grab, hold, interfere.

In years past the Hawks had just enough Shaw, Bolland, Ladd, Saad etc to get through when combined with the stars.

That's playoff hockey and I don't mind coz it's always been that way and sometimes the strategy works against the Hawks.

They simply need to be better or go home. Champions overcome.

I also don't think the NHL cares coz they know that the teams employing that approach typically won't win 3 rounds and enough talent will survive to make for a good Final.

To your last point, I never give up on this group. They've come back from so many different situations whether in one game or in a season or in a series.

It's not probable, but it's definitely possible.
                      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-18-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                        I'm all in on the Leafs. The Chicago Cubs of the NHL.
                        Yuck

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          The officiating is pretty much the same as it's been every season and every season certain teams (STL, Nash, Anaheim, etc) play the Hawks like the Preds are.

Clutch, grab, hold, interfere.
                          Strongly agreed it's not new. Just a significant reason why regular season results are no guarantee of playoff success.

In years past the Hawks had just enough Shaw, Bolland, Ladd, Saad etc to get through when combined with the stars.
                          Quite so. And Frohlik; 2013 Bickell, and so on... This is basically what I was getting at when I mentioned 'lack of depth' at forward. Maybe it would be better to say that while everyone suiting up has their selling points, we sure haven't been a complete team in the current series.
                          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Congrats to the CBJ and its fanbase. Outgunning the Penguins, even if only for one night, is a nice accomplishment. And from everything I could see and hear on the broadcast, the "5th Line" was in fine form. Good for them.

Comment

Ummmmm what the hell happened to Edmonton?
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

I'm glad that Connor McDavid finally got a glimpse of what it was like to play for the Edmonton Oilers before he got there.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X