Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2016.1 -- Anyone have a Laine on a new Auston?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2016.1 -- Anyone have a Laine on a new Auston?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If you don't have a guy in the box when the penalty expires,
    Wait. How can that happen? Coaching stupidity?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Wait. How can that happen? Coaching stupidity?
      On a five minute major where the person is ejected or removed from the game due to injury (IE: fight), the penalized team has the option of not putting someone in the penalty box right away. When play is stopped for any reason during the five-minute major, the coach will then assign someone to serve the remainder of the penalty.

Babcock didn't want to lose anyone else to serve Polak's major penalty. So he opted to leave the box empty until the next whistle.

Which didn't happen til almost two minutes *after* the penalty expired.

The quirk to the rule is that to return to full strength, the player serving the penalty must exit from the penalty box to join play. A player is not allowed to just leave the team bench and join play to return to full strength (hence why you see penalized players speed skating across the ice to their bench once a penalty is over).

It's not so much coaching stupidity, it's the coach gambling on not having this happen while he uses his skaters as normal.

As pointed out, you see it usually happen near the end of a period after a fight.

Interestingly, college hockey does NOT allow this.
      Last edited by aparch; 03-23-2017, 03:38 PM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        On a five minute major where the person is ejected or removed from the game due to injury (IE: fight), the penalized team has the option of not putting someone in the penalty box right away
        I did not know that, and I would consider that obscure.

What if the Leafs had iced? The players on the ice have to stay, but can someone on the bench return to play? Does the icing rule say "nobody can leave" or "no change in the men on the ice is permitted?"
        Last edited by Kepler; 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

What if the Leafs had iced? The players on the ice have to stay, but can someone on the bench return to play? Does the icing rule say "nobody can leave" or "no change in the men on the ice is permitted?"
          You can't get called for icing the puck shorthanded. And TO was still considered shorthanded even after the major expired!

Toronto finally got a whistle when Brian Boyle flipped the puck into the Columbus bench.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Don't like seeing Top 2 as it rewards weaker divisions. Top 1 + 4 WC which changes the proposed playoff format as well which is fine. It should be 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. anyway not this forced into creating rivalries b.s.
            Except that the NHL seems bound and determined to pursue the forced rivalries. Any plan that doesn't have that element is probably dead on arrival.

joecct's plan actually gives you 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, and so on. It's the Round of 16 that he compromises on, and gives rivalries priority up front -- but for the first round only. Over all, I'd say that's half a loaf for your side. Isn't half a loaf better than none?

Comment

Haven't seen the full play, but twitter saying Crosby slashed the fingertip of Methot and split it almost in half. It's graphic, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I was at the game. The Leafs did ice it two or three times before IIRC Zaitsev (Boyle?) fired the puck into the Jackets' bench. Linesmen waived it off and goalie played it once. Babcock admitted he messed up, but it was a great PK by the Leafs.
                Last edited by SteveP; 03-23-2017, 08:11 PM.
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Haven't seen the full play, but twitter saying Crosby slashed the fingertip of Methot and split it almost in half. It's graphic, FWIW.
                  Just saw it on Sportsnet. Gross. Somebody needs to have a chat with Mr. Crosby.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That whack happens a thousand times a game. Just a freak accident that it got him where it did. I'm no big Crosby fan, but meh.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

be funny if cloed makes the playoffs and the bruins don't
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        You can't get called for icing the puck shorthanded. And TO was still considered shorthanded even after the major expired!
                        That is really bizarre.
                        Cornell University

Comment

USA Hockey can't find replacement players for Women's World's.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Touchdown Florida!

Well the Hawks obviously taking the night off... Oh well...
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Brock Boeser had himself a weekend. Last night, played his last NCAA game, Saturday morning signed a contract, and earlier this afternoon scored his goal.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Brock Boeser had himself a weekend. Last night, played his last NCAA game, Saturday morning signed a contract, and earlier this afternoon scored his goal.
                                Yeah, but he did it for NoDak and the Canucks. Who is he going to play his international hockey for? Syria?
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X