NESCAC 2016-2017 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Call It View Post
    Jealous? Of what? What contributions has Mandigo made to the Women's game that any ordinary person couldn't have done?

He is arrogant, pompous and character is bad! Don't even get me started with the way he handled his daughter on the team. Obserbear you know the stories around that, if you are in fact connected to the Midd team?

If he coached finlandia university, they would not be any better.
    Anyone that truly knows him knows he is all about himself.

To be fair, if the Plattsburgh, Norwich, Elmira, or River Falls coaches were at Finlandia they would all fail miserably too.

Comment

Re: NESCAC 2016-2017 season

My daughter played 4 years at a NESCAC school. She graduated in 2014. I am an avid reader of this forum, but didn’t think it was my place to comment while my daughter was in school.

My daughter was fortunate enough to have a choice between Middlebury and the NESCAC school she attended. Coach Mandigo was very gracious when she visited Middlebury.
      When she choose the other school she called the assistant coach, and sent a note to coach Mandigo thanking him and explaining why she didn’t select Midd.

Just after that Midd was playing a game at our local rink. Before the game she approached coach Mandigo to say hello. He would not recognize her, he refused to shake her hand. My daughter came away in tears.

Three years later in the handshake line at Midd, coach Mandigo accused my daughter of bumping him. Again my daughter was in tears. She called me from the locker room. I suggested she talk to her coach. Her coach’s response was, “that’s just Bill being Bill”.

I greatly respect the opinions expressed here, especially that of Obear. I recognize coach Mandigo’s on ice record and his contribution to women’s hockey.

Unfortunately, in my book coach Mandigo is a first-class jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
        My daughter played 4 years at a NESCAC school. She graduated in 2014. I am an avid reader of this forum, but didn’t think it was my place to comment while my daughter was in school.

My daughter was fortunate enough to have a choice between Middlebury and the NESCAC school she attended. Coach Mandigo was very gracious when she visited Middlebury.
        When she choose the other school she called the assistant coach, and sent a note to coach Mandigo thanking him and explaining why she didn’t select Midd.

Just after that Midd was playing a game at our local rink. Before the game she approached coach Mandigo to say hello. He would not recognize her, he refused to shake her hand. My daughter came away in tears.

Three years later in the handshake line at Midd, coach Mandigo accused my daughter of bumping him. Again my daughter was in tears. She called me from the locker room. I suggested she talk to her coach. Her coach’s response was, “that’s just Bill being Bill”.

I greatly respect the opinions expressed here, especially that of Obear. I recognize coach Mandigo’s on ice record and his contribution to women’s hockey.

Unfortunately, in my book coach Mandigo is a first-class jerk.
        I think your experience is more the norm than the exception.

With all due respect to Obserbear, who is a true fan of the d3 game [actually perhaps more 'nut' than fan, I mean, who drives hours and hours through the snow to watch d3 women's games at Midd or anywhere else-- when you have no connection to the team??]...However, on this topic he's just plain off base.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
          [actually perhaps more 'nut' than fan, I mean, who drives hours and hours through the snow to watch d3 women's games at Midd or anywhere else-- when you have no connection to the team??]...
          Roughly evenly split between D3 Men's and Women's Hockey, I'm possibly going to attend as many as 55-60 games this season, and I've calculated that it could (depending on the location of the Women's Championship) approach the 5,000 mile mark on round-trip driving by season's end. I wear the title of D3 Hockey "Nut" proudly. Don't you dare imply that oserbear's love for the game is a negative!
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Tonight's parley: Bowdoin at home over U of New England; Oswego over Hamilton; Endicott over Wesleyan and Amherst to bounce back (Kreitzberg has not been a kind place for the P&W) over Manhattanville

Comment

Hoping everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season, we now can get back to hard core conference action. Still trying to separate contenders and pretenders, but some answers may come this weekend with Amherst at Middlebury, Williams at Bowdoin, Conn College at Trinity and Wesleyan at Colby (Hamilton is playing in the DoubleTree Classic against Sacred Heart and Plymouth State).
              Watched the Panthers let one slip away last evening at Kenyon. Middlebury had the better of the play, building a 2-0 lead on a shorthanded goal by Wulf and a classic Winslow goal on a feed from Young (carbon copy of the play that won last season's NESCAC final). Panther goalie Han made several jaw dropping saves keeping Elmira off the board, but Soaring Eagle goalie Nelson was equally strong. A powerplay late in the 3rd energized Elmira and they scored :10 after Midd returned to full strength. Coach Crowley got the extra attacker on and ground out a second goal for the tie (apologies to the Soaring Eagle scorers, but in neither instance could I accurately describe the plays). The OT, which was skated 4x4, did not produce a winner.
              Last edited by obserbear; 01-03-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                Hoping everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season, we now can get back to hard core conference action. Still trying to separate contenders and pretenders, but some answers may come this weekend with Amherst at Middlebury, Williams at Bowdoin, Conn College at Trinity and Wesleyan at Colby (Hamilton is playing in the DoubleTree Classic against Sacred Heart and Plymouth State).
                Watched the Panthers let one slip away last evening at Kenyon. Middlebury had the better of the play, building a 2-0 lead on a shorthanded goal by Wulf and a classic Winslow goal on a feed from Young (carbon copy of the play that won last season's NESCAC final). Panther goalie Han made several jaw dropping saves keeping Elmira off the board, but Soaring Eagle goalie Nelson was equally strong. A powerplay late in the 3rd energized Elmira and they scored :10 after Midd returned to full strength. Coach Crowley got the extra attacker on and ground out a second goal for the tie (apologies to the Soaring Eagle scorers, but in neither instance could I accurately describe the plays). The OT, which was skated 4x4, did not produce a winner.
                Fearless Weekend predictions...

Amherst at Middlebury [3 points for Middy]
                Williams at Bowdoin [Split]
                Conn College at Trinity [3 points for the Camels]
                Wesleyan at Colby [Cardinals sweep the Mules to grab the 8th slot]

Comment

I am chicken and here are the guesses for this evening: Hamilton over Sacred Heart, Conn wins this afternoon at Trinity, Middlebury takes round 1 with the Purple and White and the Polar Bears win in Watson and the Cardinals get off the bus and win against the Mules.
                  Last edited by obserbear; 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Did anyone watch the Conn-Trinity game? Must have been a good one.

Comment

Typically intense Amherst-Middlebury skating match this evening at Kenyon. Congratulations should go to both Purple and White goalie Plaman and Panther goalie Neuberger for outstanding play. The game opened with 3 minutes of back and forth action resulting in no shots for either squad, but Amherst was starting to get the puck to the net and pressuring Neuberger. An ensuing P&W powerplay produced the first score. Culhane got the puck to Eickhoff who had space moving out from the left to the top of the left circle for a shot which tested Neuberger to make a nice left pad save, however Savage was there for the put back beneath Neuberger to put Amherst up 1-0. The Panthers answered with a powerplay of their own late in the period. Wulf dug the puck out in the right corner to Young; Young walked into a seam in the right circle and connected across with an open Winslow at the left dot for a one time blast in over the moving Plaman. The 2nd saw both goalies trading strong efforts. Early Plaman made a nice glove grab of a Sherman tip on a Winslow shot from the high slot. Plaman then robbed Winslow when she looped in with Young and Winslow had an open shot from the right dot at about 7: Neuberger made a nice catch of a Savage shot from low left circle at 18:24. Neuberger was strong early in the 3rd, stuffing Hunyadi at the top of the crease and following with a nifty series of stops. The game winner was a pretty goal. Hlinka broke out of the Midd D zone up the right boards, sent the puck left to Winslow; Winslow spotted Young open racing in on right wing, fed across and Young ripped a one timer beneath Plaman from the right dot. Coach Matthews got the extra attacker on the ice and as that took place Amherst developed a 2x1 with Neuberger aggressively defending her stickside post. Seconds later Marotta ground the puck up the right D zone boards and sprang Winslow down right wing for the empty netter and the 3-1 final score.
                      Rematch tomorrow at 3.

Comment

Well, that's sort of an interesting twist.

Middlebury / Amherst second game on Saturday afternoon ends in a tie. The Amhert play style reminds me a great deal of the Plattsburg style. They play fast and aggressive, especially in the offensive end. I saw Middlebury on several occasions in both games struggle to get the puck out of their own end against the relentless forecheck and good pass interceptions of the Amherst squad.

So the outcome of the Conn College / Trinity game was to determine the NESCAC First place. Conn college wins, they take first and can determine their fate. Loose and they are second. And the same is postponed due to weather.

Comment

there's a lot of season left to be calling the season at this point. Trinity is better than everyone thinks...Bowdoin and Hamilton are still pretenders until they beat a ranked team...ditto for Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
                            there's a lot of season left to be calling the season at this point. Trinity is better than everyone thinks...Bowdoin and Hamilton are still pretenders until they beat a ranked team...ditto for Williams.
                            Well, you can't argue that if Conn College wins the rest of their games they win the league - that's just the math. And they have already been through Middlebury and Amherst. But I do agree that it is unlikely that Conn will sweep their way through the remaining 9 games - Trinity (1 game), Bowdoin, Williams, Wesleyan, Colby would be my order of most likely to beat them once. Williams in particular have generally had their number for at least 1 win the last 3 years (swept them last year when Conn had their best season of the last 3).

Comment

Anyone plan to attend the Conn-Bowdoin game Thursday at Fenway? Forecast is rain free but in the 50 degree range. Any expert opinion on potential ice problems? Hope to see you there!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                                Anyone plan to attend the Conn-Bowdoin game Thursday at Fenway? Forecast is rain free but in the 50 degree range. Any expert opinion on potential ice problems? Hope to see you there!
                                Not going to the game but it's Bowdoin in the petite upset 2-1. Anyone know how they choose the teams to play there? Lottery, bid, etc...?

Comment

Working...
                                X