• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    od?
    Grade inflation. They didn't count the second D
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: NESCAC 2016-2017 season

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Grade inflation. They didn't count the second D
      Screen locked on me..."od" was supposed to be "odd"...here's why:

1. How is Alex Topal of Amherst not Player of the Year? Just look at her numbers...no comparison--goals, assists, points. Plus in the last 2 weekends [without a doubt the two MOST important of the entire season, the league's 'POY' is held to Zero, count them...ZERO points, while Hamilton gets absolutely clubbed by Conn and slips from 1st to 3rd place in the process...and then proceeds to get bounced in the 1st round by a SIX SEED in Bowdoin...on home ice no less. All Topal does is score BOTH goals to send Trinity packing [and does it as a lower seed and playing on Trinity's home ice].

2. How can a team with the best defense in the league [fewest goals allowed, best goals against average, and best rated Penalty Kill] only get only one kid...and she's on the 2nd team?

3. How is the Wesly goalie, Grant not the Rookie of the Year?? And she loses out to a girl with very pedestrian numbers that did not stand out at all compared to other freshman forwards. Grant's numbers were fantastic [especially for a freshman, playing for a very weak offensive team with almost no goal support]...She almost singlehandedly made that otherwise very below average team respectable and competitive. Forget Rookie of the year, she could have been 2nd team all-conf over the choice they made.

There are a few other head-scratchers, but as I said, those are pretty odd.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
        Screen locked on me..."od" was supposed to be "odd"...here's why:

1. How is Alex Topal of Amherst not Player of the Year? Just look at her numbers...no comparison--goals, assists, points. Plus in the last 2 weekends [without a doubt the two MOST important of the entire season, the league's 'POY' is held to Zero, count them...ZERO points, while Hamilton gets absolutely clubbed by Conn and slips from 1st to 3rd place in the process...and then proceeds to get bounced in the 1st round by a SIX SEED in Bowdoin...on home ice no less. All Topal does is score BOTH goals to send Trinity packing [and does it as a lower seed and playing on Trinity's home ice].

2. How can a team with the best defense in the league [fewest goals allowed, best goals against average, and best rated Penalty Kill] only get only one kid...and she's on the 2nd team?

3. How is the Wesly goalie, Grant not the Rookie of the Year?? And she loses out to a girl with very pedestrian numbers that did not stand out at all compared to other freshman forwards. Grant's numbers were fantastic [especially for a freshman, playing for a very weak offensive team with almost no goal support]...She almost singlehandedly made that otherwise very below average team respectable and competitive. Forget Rookie of the year, she could have been 2nd team all-conf over the choice they made.

There are a few other head-scratchers, but as I said, those are pretty odd.

Well...somehow I think coach's ignorance and lots of politics [you vote for my girl, I'll vote for yours] goes into these selections. At the end of the day it really means nothing anyway. Look at the ECAC West selections if you really want 'odd'...lol

Comment

P&W 2 CC 0 end 1. Shots 13-6 CC Shots 19-15. Still 2-0 Amherst
          Last edited by obserbear; 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Is that the sound of Conn choking again that I hear?!
            Looks like I heard correctly...not that I'm surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
              The sound of choking? No...I think it's more likely the sound of your head popping out of your #$%
              Looks like you've CrossChecked yourself in the face and head too many times...because you are wrong, and I am right about Conn, again. Time for someone new there.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                Looks like you've CrossChecked yourself in the face and head too many times...
                I legitimately cannot like this post enough. Time for crosscheck to go back in his/her cave until troll season opens back up in November. I'll miss you sweetums.
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Middlebury got timely, first goal of the season scoring from both Aiello and Marotta in skating past Bowdoin and into the NESCAC final with a 4-1 win this afternoon at Kenyon. The Panthers held the Polar Bears shotless the entire 3rd period. Viewers of the contest left with little doubt why Bowdoin goalie St. Denis was 2nd team All-NESCAC (which I mention because, believe it or not, some players read this stuff).
                  The 1st saw no scoring, 2 effective penalty kills by the Panthers (which had a great PK all afternoon), and some good 2x1 chances by both squads.
                  Aiello opened the scoring early in the 2nd. Young worked the puck along the end boards, into the right corner to Aiello; Aiello had space to walk toward the net and her wrist shot from low in the right circle beat St. Denis up to the short gloveside. St. Denis made a nifty left pad save on Sherman from the slot at 7:10. The Panthers then cashed in a 5x3 powerplay opportunity. Moving the puck in and out, Watson passed from the single point to Hlinka in the right circle; Hlinka made a nice feed back across to Winslow for a one timer, from just inside the left dot, that was in over the moving St. Denis. The Polar Bears were thwarted on powerplay chances late in the period and then came alive in the final minute with Solomon making a steal behind the Middlebury net and getting the puck to the crease. Dachille found the puck and rammed it home beneath goalie Neuberger, making it 2-1 going to the 3rd.
                  The 3rd progressed with St. Denis keeping it a one goal game. Winslow was in alone at 13:20, had space and time and ended up beaten by St. Denis at the short gloveside post. Marotta scored on a one timer from top of the right circle; low shot, threaded through traffic, in along the ice. Marotta was set up by Winslow from deep right corner and work grinding the end boards by Young. Young bagged the empty net goal making it 4-1 taking a pass from Hlinka out of the Midd D zone up the left boards and nailing a wrister from in front of the penalty boxes.
                  This leads us to the second game on the NESCAC docket: Amherst 2 Connecticut College 0.
                  Conn, having eaten Williams alive on their powerplay in the quarter-final a week ago, went 0 for 6 on the day and Amherst goalie Dobbins was a perfect 30/30 leading the Purple & White back to the NESCAC finals.
                  The 1st saw all the scoring of the game. Amherst won a face off in the right circle with Malloy moving the puck to Toupal on the boards; Toupal curled along the top of the right circle and her forehand from the slot was saved by, and then chipped in over Conn goalie Chester, by Hunyadi from the gloveside of the crease. A powerplay closed out the scoring. Hunyadi moved the puck to Toupal on the right half boards; Toupal made a beautiful feed across to Pantera on the far post for the score.
                  Conn had chances including Beattie ringing pipe at 5: of the 2nd from low right circle and a bit of 5x3 play in the 3rd but Dobbins kept them off the board.
                  Final tomorrow at 2.

Comment

4-1 Middllebury final

Comment

Bump
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I know writing about the '15-'16 NESCAC is now old news, but I didn't get back to Old Lyme until early this morning. Up early, as the Editor (berated for years in her choice to be born the weekend of the NCAA women's DIII finals) has arranged to just bail and fly off to Barbados for a week (as we here in southeast CT are observing a blizzard watch for Tuesday).
                        Arrive at Kenyon to learn both Norwich and Middlebury will be unable to dress key contributors (Conway and Hlinka respectively). So of course the Goal Gods responded with a 5-4 OT offensive slugfest. Panther Neuberger (29/34) and Cadet King (41/45) both made big saves all night (King made a jaw dropping pick on Portner in the 1st OT) .
                        Middlebury scored early with Watson flipping a pass from deep in the right corner of the Midd zone, over the Norwich D, to Winslow breaking free into the Cadet zone on left wing; Winslow stayed wide and fed Sherman to her right in the slot for a wrist shot beating King to the gloveside up. Neuberger made a big save on Cadet McGovern from low in the left circle at 4:30. King robbed Sheline with her right pad on a won face-off shot starting Midd's initial powerplay.
                        The Panthers went up 2 (most dangerous lead in hockey?) with Jennings across to Lafontaine on the blueline; Lafontaine's drive low on net for a pad save by King and Winslow stuffing the rebound home. Norwich then commenced their first charge of the afternoon. Rossini made a long run to pick the puck up off the end boards and pass to Schwenzferer at the gloveside of the Panther net; Schwenzferer rammed a one timer home. Less than a minute later Labbe broke in zone and from the right circle rocketed a shot off Neuberger, bounding up high, landing at the top of the crease and netted by McGovern, in beating Neuberger stickside. Norwich pressured the Panthers with Neuberger coming up big on Schwenzferer from low left circle at 16:30 and stuffing McGovern walking in from the corner for a backhand at her stickside post at 17:20. Then Midd got one back. Sheline (and Young) ground the puck from the left corner to Watson on point and across to Zumwinkle on right point. Zumwinkle had space and her slapshot from just above the right circle beat King up gloveside.
                        Early in the 3rd the Panthers extended the lead to 4-2. Aiello was grinding low in the right corner; Jackson moved out from the right half boards, circled into the high slot, wacked one on net and St. Clair's put back was in from King's gloveside. A second Cadet charge resulted in 2 goals in less than a minute, again. Credit the Norwich team staying focused and not seeing their season slip away down 2 on the road with less than 5 to play! On the powerplay Schwenzferer broke in zone carried the puck through the slot, drifted right and made the perfect feed to Tiberi streaking into the play, backdoor, in up to Neuberger's blockerside. Seconds later a scrum at the Panther crease saw Neuberger parry a Tiberi attempt and Murphy jam in the rebound from the stickside of the crease to tie 4-4 and send things to OT.
                        First OT was just too intense not to watch and give up notes. Both goalies under just a bit of pressure, and King did make the OMG save on Portner and Neuberger robbed Rossini on an odd rush, but that's all I specifically wrote. Middlebury had chances with 2 powerplays and (pressure? in NCAA quarter-final OT) resulted in both benches assessed minors for too many players.
                        Tension was building. Fatigue...nerves...and I am talking parents here. The end came quickly. The Panthers came up empty of the holdover powerplay starting OT 2, and perhaps inspired by the successful kill, Norwich struck. Labbe made a move across the end boards, behind the Midd net and to the crease out from Neuberger's stickside; McGovern found the puck and the game winner.
                        Must be wrenching to end your career in an OT loss. I guess it is sad at the end win or lose. I remember a NESCAC semi final (in Kenyon) some years ago in which both the Editor's daughters played on opposing teams. Obviously one won, one lost, but I cannot remember which cried more.
                        I confess to attending all 28 games Middlebury played this season (yeah, yeah, wearing the Midd hat), but I have tried to maintain my Obserbearish objectivity. Honest. Bowdoin-Conn at Fenway added an interesting element to the NESCAC schedule and there were even some Sunday games!
                        Anyway, now I just need to figure out getting to Adrian for the finals.
                        Congratulation to the Norwich players and Coach Bolding for advancing (and I apologize if the above composition lacks Norwich nuance, but I just don't know all your #s) .
                        Once again, thank you players, coaches and parents for the cosmic effort, time and energy you put into to participating and making the women's DIII season so much fun!!!
                        ...now let's freaking win another title for the NESCAC next year, eh???

Comment

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                          I know writing about the '15-'16 NESCAC is now old news, but I didn't get back to Old Lyme until early this morning. Up early, as the Editor (berated for years in her choice to be born the weekend of the NCAA women's DIII finals) has arranged to just bail and fly off to Barbados for a week (as we here in southeast CT are observing a blizzard watch for Tuesday).
                          Arrive at Kenyon to learn both Norwich and Middlebury will be unable to dress key contributors (Conway and Hlinka respectively). So of course the Goal Gods responded with a 5-4 OT offensive slugfest. Panther Neuberger (29/34) and Cadet King (41/45) both made big saves all night (King made a jaw dropping pick on Portner in the 1st OT) .
                          Middlebury scored early with Watson flipping a pass from deep in the right corner of the Midd zone, over the Norwich D, to Winslow breaking free into the Cadet zone on left wing; Winslow stayed wide and fed Sherman to her right in the slot for a wrist shot beating King to the gloveside up. Neuberger made a big save on Cadet McGovern from low in the left circle at 4:30. King robbed Sheline with her right pad on a won face-off shot starting Midd's initial powerplay.
                          The Panthers went up 2 (most dangerous lead in hockey?) with Jennings across to Lafontaine on the blueline; Lafontaine's drive low on net for a pad save by King and Winslow stuffing the rebound home. Norwich then commenced their first charge of the afternoon. Rossini made a long run to pick the puck up off the end boards and pass to Schwenzferer at the gloveside of the Panther net; Schwenzferer rammed a one timer home. Less than a minute later Labbe broke in zone and from the right circle rocketed a shot off Neuberger, bounding up high, landing at the top of the crease and netted by McGovern, in beating Neuberger stickside. Norwich pressured the Panthers with Neuberger coming up big on Schwenzferer from low left circle at 16:30 and stuffing McGovern walking in from the corner for a backhand at her stickside post at 17:20. Then Midd got one back. Sheline (and Young) ground the puck from the left corner to Watson on point and across to Zumwinkle on right point. Zumwinkle had space and her slapshot from just above the right circle beat King up gloveside.
                          Early in the 3rd the Panthers extended the lead to 4-2. Aiello was grinding low in the right corner; Jackson moved out from the right half boards, circled into the high slot, wacked one on net and St. Clair's put back was in from King's gloveside. A second Cadet charge resulted in 2 goals in less than a minute, again. Credit the Norwich team staying focused and not seeing their season slip away down 2 on the road with less than 5 to play! On the powerplay Schwenzferer broke in zone carried the puck through the slot, drifted right and made the perfect feed to Tiberi streaking into the play, backdoor, in up to Neuberger's blockerside. Seconds later a scrum at the Panther crease saw Neuberger parry a Tiberi attempt and Murphy jam in the rebound from the stickside of the crease to tie 4-4 and send things to OT.
                          First OT was just too intense not to watch and give up notes. Both goalies under just a bit of pressure, and King did make the OMG save on Portner and Neuberger robbed Rossini on an odd rush, but that's all I specifically wrote. Middlebury had chances with 2 powerplays and (pressure? in NCAA quarter-final OT) resulted in both benches assessed minors for too many players.
                          Tension was building. Fatigue...nerves...and I am talking parents here. The end came quickly. The Panthers came up empty of the holdover powerplay starting OT 2, and perhaps inspired by the successful kill, Norwich struck. Labbe made a move across the end boards, behind the Midd net and to the crease out from Neuberger's stickside; McGovern found the puck and the game winner.
                          Must be wrenching to end your career in an OT loss. I guess it is sad at the end win or lose. I remember a NESCAC semi final (in Kenyon) some years ago in which both the Editor's daughters played on opposing teams. Obviously one won, one lost, but I cannot remember which cried more.
                          I confess to attending all 28 games Middlebury played this season (yeah, yeah, wearing the Midd hat), but I have tried to maintain my Obserbearish objectivity. Honest. Bowdoin-Conn at Fenway added an interesting element to the NESCAC schedule and there were even some Sunday games!
                          Anyway, now I just need to figure out getting to Adrian for the finals.
                          Congratulation to the Norwich players and Coach Bolding for advancing (and I apologize if the above composition lacks Norwich nuance, but I just don't know all your #s) .
                          Once again, thank you players, coaches and parents for the cosmic effort, time and energy you put into to participating and making the women's DIII season so much fun!!!
                          ...now let's freaking win another title for the NESCAC next year, eh???
                          Honest question: will this be seen as a successful season for Middlebury? They were manhandling Norwich for large parts of yesterday's game and have to be at least a little disappointed with how it ended. They had a great season in my eyes but not sure how it'll be perceived by others.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                            Honest question: will this be seen as a successful season for Middlebury? They were manhandling Norwich for large parts of yesterday's game and have to be at least a little disappointed with how it ended. They had a great season in my eyes but not sure how it'll be perceived by others.
                            I think they had a really good season and I am disappointed. I thought they were peaking at the right time (I really thought they could give Plattsburgh a game in try #3), and then ouch... Norwich made a great team effort and won, but a game (as several others this season) where Midd played well enough to win, just didn't. Good season any year you win the NESCAC. A 19 win season where the take away must be seasoning and growth returning players bring from the experience of this season. Looking to next season there is a lot of upside to the roster. And it is Panther hockey and every year there are high expectations.
                            Last edited by obserbear; 03-12-2017, 05:13 PM. Reason: y

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                              Well crosscheck will argue that they are the best team in all of hockey...
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X