Plattsburgh State Hockey 2016-17 - Bob's Head Coach Season 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
    Didn't get to see the Minn-Moorehead game (internet feed wasn't working), but Rouleau was not the problem in the Oswego game. I thought he played really well.
    My opinion, for anyone who wants to hear it:

Not the sole reason we have 3 losses, but his big and often poorly-directed rebounds certainly have contributed to it. In the Oswego game, if he hugs the near post like every goalie is taught to on a shot from that area, the first Oswego goal doesn't sneak between his pad and the goalpost. And in the Concordia game, if he doesn't unnecessarily charge out almost completely into the face off circle (far enough that a Concordia player was able to skate behind him across the crease without touching him), he doesn't get to show us how unfamiliar he is with the rule book by throwing a hissy-fit about "goaltender interference" that wasn't even close to being goaltender interference on the Cobbers' 4th goal.

Again, not totally his fault. If he's not unnecessarily screened by 2 Plattsburgh Dmen and 1 Cobber, he probably doesn't get to wrongly complain about alleged goaltender interference on the 3rd Concordia goal. If Engvall doesn't turn over the puck what feels like 70% of the time he touches it in the D-zone, Plattsburgh probably has a shot in the Oswego game.

Even still... As Remy points out, the stats are pretty clear that Rouleau just isn't working right now. In the modern game, with the current size of goaltending equipment, a goalie has no excuse for a .872 save percentage on a team at this level. He may not be solely responsible for the 2-3 record in the games that he's started, but he is responsible for his poor play in many of those games. At this point, I feel the small sample we have of Josh Davies is far more promising than anything Rolo has given us, and it looks like the team plays better in front of Davies than in front of Rolo (which may just be a psychological thing for the team).

IMO, Davies has earned a shot to be a starter in some big games and a chance to prove himself. Besides: if you keep sticking with a Rouleau who is putting up sub-par performances ahead of Davies, what does that do to Davies's confidence level when we need rely on him next year?
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      My opinion, for anyone who wants to hear it:

Not the sole reason we have 3 losses, but his big and often poorly-directed rebounds certainly have contributed to it. In the Oswego game, if he hugs the near post like every goalie is taught to on a shot from that area, the first Oswego goal doesn't sneak between his pad and the goalpost. And in the Concordia game, if he doesn't unnecessarily charge out almost completely into the face off circle (far enough that a Concordia player was able to skate behind him across the crease without touching him), he doesn't get to show us how unfamiliar he is with the rule book by throwing a hissy-fit about "goaltender interference" that wasn't even close to being goaltender interference on the Cobbers' 4th goal.

Again, not totally his fault. If he's not unnecessarily screened by 2 Plattsburgh Dmen and 1 Cobber, he probably doesn't get to wrongly complain about alleged goaltender interference on the 3rd Concordia goal. If Engvall doesn't turn over the puck what feels like 70% of the time he touches it in the D-zone, Plattsburgh probably has a shot in the Oswego game.

Even still... As Remy points out, the stats are pretty clear that Rouleau just isn't working right now. In the modern game, with the current size of goaltending equipment, a goalie has no excuse for a .872 save percentage on a team at this level. He may not be solely responsible for the 2-3 record in the games that he's started, but he is responsible for his poor play in many of those games. At this point, I feel the small sample we have of Josh Davies is far more promising than anything Rolo has given us, and it looks like the team plays better in front of Davies than in front of Rolo (which may just be a psychological thing for the team).

IMO, Davies has earned a shot to be a starter in some big games and a chance to prove himself. Besides: if you keep sticking with a Rouleau who is putting up sub-par performances ahead of Davies, what does that do to Davies's confidence level when we need rely on him next year?
      Don't even get me started on Engvall..... looks like a really nice kid, but has yet to catch his size up with the speed of DIII hockey. As I said last week, when a team can rattle.off 3 shots before you can get back in position (and you were only at the hash marks of the circle) that's an issue. Let alone the direct passes to the opposing team. Against a slower DIII he is fine. But put him against speed teams, forget it.

But like I said, Brady has given his heart to the program and Id hate to see him sit the bench, but there is just something off. Yes he does make a few "great" flashy saves a game, but most of the time if a goaltender is in position, there is no need for flash.
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2016-17 - Bob's Head Coach Season 28

I hear two players have left the team is this true? if it is who left and why?

Comment

• Originally posted by womensmanager View Post
          I hear two players have left the team is this true? if it is who left and why?
          We don't know why. And frankly it's none of our business why. But it's O'Quinn and Taff, who i'm told will both be transferring out over the semester break. I've heard O'Quinn will be going to a Canadian school. I haven't heard anything RE: Taff's plans
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            We don't know why. And frankly it's none of our business why. But it's O'Quinn and Taff, who i'm told will both be transferring out over the semester break. I've heard O'Quinn will be going to a Canadian school. I haven't heard anything RE: Taff's plans
            2 players that have some good minutes for the birds,would imagine a story goes with this one.........??

Comment

I love it: A 6-2 win over Potsdam, and 4 previously-unranked teams leapfrog us and drop us out of the USCHO rankings for the first time since January 3, 2011.

Oh well. Just remind ourselves that these rankings are meaningless, and there's still a TON of hockey left to be played.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

I love it: A 6-2 win over Potsdam, and 4 previously-unranked teams leapfrog us and drop us out of the USCHO rankings for the first time since January 3, 2011.

Oh well. Just remind ourselves that these rankings are meaningless, and there's still a TON of hockey left to be played.
                It's seems most insulting to Potsdam than anyone else.
                Last edited by Scott_TG; 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Had Plattsburgh not blown Concordia you could make a case. All I know is a statement can be made Friday night. I just hope Davies gets his shot.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Let this group play under the radar for a little while. i don't think they're one of the best teams in the country....yet. Saw some good things Friday night - passes were connecting better. They still need to clean up play in their own end. Their goaltending isn't good enough to overcome the bad turnovers in their own end.

I expect to see Rouleau back in net on Friday. I thought Davies was a little slow to react to shots against Potsdam. I make no guesses as to how he'll play long-term, but right now I think Rouleau is the best chance to beat the better teams.
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Past 3 seasons Brady vs. Ranked teams

1-8-1 (1ND)
                      GAA 4.15
                      Save % .862

Yea...lets go with that..

The first dumb dumb turnover Davies might have been able to save, and should maybe. But you're not leaving VanderEsche out front ALONE .... turnover behind the net,straight to a one time pass and shoot with Vandy and expect it to be saved. He made a lot saves to give Plattsburgh a chance than goals given up.

Brady is only averaging 25 shots a game, Davies is at 31.

Brady is now a .872% and 3.23GAA
                      Davies is now .935% and 2.00GAA

Its time....
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Saw this on the Cardinal Hockey Facebook group: former Cardinal Anthony Calabrese "lucky to be alive" after a hit in an ECHL game broke his C7 and T1 vertebrae. Tyler Murovich has been suspended 12 games and fined for a "careless, reckless hit." Doctors have told Calabrese he can make a full recovery and return to the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                          Saw this on the Cardinal Hockey Facebook group: former Cardinal Anthony Calabrese "lucky to be alive" after a hit in an ECHL game broke his C7 and T1 vertebrae. Tyler Murovich has been suspended 12 games and fined for a "careless, reckless hit." Doctors have told Calabrese he can make a full recovery and return to the ice.
                          WOW great to see he will be OK...bottomline for the players,if you can read his name on the jersey dont hit him.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                            WOW great to see he will be OK...bottomline for the players,if you can read his name on the jersey dont hit him.
                            Video of the incident looks more like a shove than a hit, but the effect is the same. 12 games doesn't seem enough for breaking someone's neck and back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWLmiay70rY

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              Past 3 seasons Brady vs. Ranked teams

1-8-1 (1ND)
                              GAA 4.15
                              Save % .862

Yea...lets go with that..

The first dumb dumb turnover Davies might have been able to save, and should maybe. But you're not leaving VanderEsche out front ALONE .... turnover behind the net,straight to a one time pass and shoot with Vandy and expect it to be saved. He made a lot saves to give Plattsburgh a chance than goals given up.

Brady is only averaging 25 shots a game, Davies is at 31.

Brady is now a .872% and 3.23GAA
                              Davies is now .935% and 2.00GAA

Its time....
                              Davies' numbers are against three teams with a combined record of 5-16-3 so far this year... Do you think maybe Bob is picking his starts very carefully? I thought his reaction times were slow in that Potsdam game. I'm afraid that teams that shoot better are going to eat him alive. I'm not saying he isn't going to be good, but I don't think he gives Plattsburgh the best chance to win right now.
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95
                              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                                Davies' numbers are against three teams with a combined record of 5-16-3 so far this year... Do you think maybe Bob is picking his starts very carefully? I thought his reaction times were slow in that Potsdam game. I'm afraid that teams that shoot better are going to eat him alive. I'm not saying he isn't going to be good, but I don't think he gives Plattsburgh the best chance to win right now.
                                So you go with someone who has proven (11 games is well proven enough) that he can't get the job done in big games? If Davies isn't better than a .860 Save % and 4.00+ GAA then Plattsburgh is in deep trouble. Those are beyond horrible numbers at the DIII level for a competitive team. I don't care what "reaction time" he has....it's going to be better than .860 and 4.00. He stopped the puck, period against MORE shots on goal. If he goes out and gets shelled by Geneseo, fine. And if you take out Oswego, the GAA average for opponents are pretty similar to who Brady and Josh have faced. Take also into account that Fredonia, while record may only be 4 wins and not Oswego, is also 1-0-1 against Buff State which is more than what Plattsburgh can say to this point. Middlebury, while may be 0-6, has only ONE loss by more than 2 goals and has been in every game including taking Norwich to overtime.

Shots on goal are shots on goal. Brady has proven he can't be counted on to make the key save over and over in big games. 1-8-1 and 1 ND says it all. A change is needed. I don't care if Davies lets in 5 goals if he saves more than 90% of them.

It's time for a change.

Bob has probably been "careful" with Josh because he was trying to give his senior goaltender a chance. 3 loses with an .846 SAVE % is NOT a starting goaltender number. Even at an overall .872 current save %, Brady ranks 97th out of 107.
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                                X