Plattsburgh State Hockey 2016-17 - Bob's Head Coach Season 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Doubt you'll see it change. That's a very long trip home and certainly benefits the student athletes and team personnel. Not only are you getting back late at night, it's a lot of waiting around in the hotel the next day.

The NEHC has been playing 4pm on Saturdays for years. Although I agree it certainly hurts from a fan attendance prospective, it does have its benefits. As a team personnel member, I go back and forth every year on which I prefer. I like seeing bigger crowds for sure as the fan inside of me and I also like a little bit longer of a break before I have to be back to the work the next day after a Friday night game. However, being done with work on a Saturday at 7/7:30 is also nice too sometimes.
    For reference regarding how late we're talking, I got an opportunity to chat about this with the Plattsburgh Men's Team's busdriver during the game at Fredonia about this. He explained that Plattsburgh (and most teams) travel Thursday afternoon for a Friday/Saturday set of games, so it makes little sense to book a hotel for 3 nights. But if Plattsburgh has a 7pm game at Fredonia, they're not leaving the rink until close to 10pm. In good weather, a bus traveling from Fredonia to Plattsburgh is going to take about 6.5 hours. At that point, we're looking at a 4:30am arrival. Factor in a quick post-game meal, and you're bus driver's mandated break halfway through, and we're looking at 5:30-6:00. Add in inclement weather, and it's a different story altogether.

But here's the kicker: your players have missed a day and a half of classes, plus it's the weekend, so they probably have a ton of homework to do. Coach Emery dedicates a couple hours on Friday and a couple hours on Saturday for the boys to focus on schoolwork, but the chances are good they still have a significant amount of work to get done. If you're bus isn't getting in until 6:00am, they're still going to need to sleep quite a bit (nobody can get enough healthy undisturbed sleep on a moving bus with the state of NY roads in the winter). If you've got players with major projects that couldn't be done on the road, you're now asking them to forego that extra bit of sleep that they need in order to make the grade. Moving the entire thing up by 3 hours, and now you're talking 2:30-3:00am, when it's normal to be asleep, and they then have the whole daytime on Sunday to get their schoolwork done.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2016-17 - Bob's Head Coach Season 28

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Doubt you'll see it change. That's a very long trip home and certainly benefits the student athletes and team personnel. Not only are you getting back late at night, it's a lot of waiting around in the hotel the next day.

The NEHC has been playing 4pm on Saturdays for years. Although I agree it certainly hurts from a fan attendance prospective, it does have its benefits. As a team personnel member, I go back and forth every year on which I prefer. I like seeing bigger crowds for sure as the fan inside of me and I also like a little bit longer of a break before I have to be back to the work the next day after a Friday night game. However, being done with work on a Saturday at 7/7:30 is also nice too sometimes.
      That Saturday 4:00 games have been with us since the Cadets became a part of the ECAC East in 1983. That's the way it has always been.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        That Saturday 4:00 games have been with us since the Cadets became a part of the ECAC East in 1983. That's the way it has always been.
        OK, well, it's new to some of us. I am a fan of it from the team's point of view. It makes all the sense in the world. We fans will adjust. Attendance should not be effected by the difference between 4 pm and 7 pm on a Saturday night in Plattsburgh, NY...
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
          OK, well, it's new to some of us. I am a fan of it from the team's point of view. It makes all the sense in the world. We fans will adjust. Attendance should not be effected by the difference between 4 pm and 7 pm on a Saturday night in Plattsburgh, NY...
          You would think that but think about everything else you could be doing during that prime afternoon time. In Vermont, skiing is huge and you have kids doing all their different activities/sports. Makes getting to a 4pm game tougher. Norwich regularly has seen 200-300 less on Saturday afternoons than Friday's.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

The teams .500 record could have an impact on things too. Attendance has always struggled as the team struggled.
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

That was a tough game to watch. In terms of controlling possession, quick accurate passing, and overall dictating the flow of the game, that was arguably the best performance by Plattsburgh this season. The usually-inept Powerplay seemed to be easily opening shooting lanes and taking the shots. And yet we lose 7-1 score 0 Powerplay goals. Hockey can be a cruel sometimes.

There's only so much you can do when you face a goalie who is going to put in a performance like that. Pupplo saved 56 of 57 shots today, 89 of 92 over Neumann's 2 games this weekend. Thoroughly deserving of the Tournament MVP.

In the end, the non-conference games don't matter at this point. There will be no at-large bid for us this year. Prepare for the 9 conference games remaining, get into the playoffs, and roll the dice in the postseason. Fight like hell this season, and bounce back next season.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                That was a tough game to watch. In terms of controlling possession, quick accurate passing, and overall dictating the flow of the game, that was arguably the best performance by Plattsburgh this season. The usually-inept Powerplay seemed to be easily opening shooting lanes and taking the shots. And yet we lose 7-1 score 0 Powerplay goals. Hockey can be a cruel sometimes.

There's only so much you can do when you face a goalie who is going to put in a performance like that. Pupplo saved 56 of 57 shots today, 89 of 92 over Neumann's 2 games this weekend. Thoroughly deserving of the Tournament MVP.

In the end, the non-conference games don't matter at this point. There will be no at-large bid for us this year. Prepare for the 9 conference games remaining, get into the playoffs, and roll the dice in the postseason. Fight like hell this season, and bounce back next season.
                Agree completely. This was some of the best hockey I have seen our boys play this season. Certainly had our chances. Their goalie was indeed phenomenal. Heads up boys. Keep working.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birds View Post
                  Agree completely. This was some of the best hockey I have seen our boys play this season. Certainly had our chances. Their goalie was indeed phenomenal. Heads up boys. Keep working.
                  Agree about it being a tough game to watch. The Cards moved the puck quite well thru most of the game. Lots of shots, but most were from long range and were thus easily seen by the goalie.
                  As usual in a game where St Louis is an official, there were some phantom penalties.
                  Hope the Cards start to win a few more soon as attendance is going to drop like a rock otherwise.

Wally
                  Cornell '67

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                    Agree about it being a tough game to watch. The Cards moved the puck quite well thru most of the game. Lots of shots, but most were from long range and were thus easily seen by the goalie.
                    As usual in a game where St Louis is an official, there were some phantom penalties.
                    Hope the Cards start to win a few more soon as attendance is going to drop like a rock otherwise.

Wally
                    Cornell '67
                    I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Davies. I was in favor of going with him over Rouleau earlier this year when Rouleau was seemingly struggling. Personally, I am mixed, because like someone else mentioned earlier, there are a lot of important conference games coming up, but, Rouleau is a senior, and I want to know if Davies is "the guy" going forward. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
                      I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Davies. I was in favor of going with him over Rouleau earlier this year when Rouleau was seemingly struggling. Personally, I am mixed, because like someone else mentioned earlier, there are a lot of important conference games coming up, but, Rouleau is a senior, and I want to know if Davies is "the guy" going forward. Thoughts?
                      I still feel Davies is the guy. I know the guys on WIRY absolutely tore into Davies Friday night post-game, but I still disagree. Is Davies playing excellently? No. But I think he's been more consistent than Rouleau was. And for the most part, I think Emery needs to keep playing Davies so he can decide whether he needs to recruit 1 goalies or 2 in the offseason, but also to allow Davies to gain experience and improve in the case that he IS the guy for the next few seasons (which I think he can be).
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

• Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
                        It won't matter who is in net if they keep giving up the defensive lapses. I am not sold on Brady. While the defense doesn't help, Brady always seems to give up the easy goal and the worse time. But as I said, unless the defense improves it won't matter who's in net. The powerplay is anemic. The penalty kill can't get a stop at the most opportune time. There is talent there that could play spoiler. But first things first, you have to get IN the playoffs first....
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
                          First two goals were soft and should have been stopped. At that point, the way Neumann's keeper was playing, you could see the whole team just deflate. Rouleau did not even warm up yesterday (he was in uniform and on the bench), so I don't know what is going on there. Point blank last night, I didn't feel Davies made any saves to help his team out. Davies got his shot, I think you need to go back to the senior. As for recruiting, I think you are looking for 2 as of right now.
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

73.2 Penalty – If, in the opinion of the official, an attacking player initiates contact that physically prevents the goalkeeper from defending the goal, the attacking player may receive a penalty. This penalty may be enforced whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease and whether or not a goal is scored. The referee should give significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper rather than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.

Even reading this, I'm not sure how an official in Plattsburgh's defensive zone calls goaltender interference on a play that occurred 25 feet outside of the crease on a 50/50 puck. Yes, there was contact, but only in the context that it was a race for a loose puck.
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Perhaps I shouldn't even mention this, but the fact that several players have left the team is beginning to bother me. Perhaps this is none of my business, but it sort of signals that something is somehow amiss

Wally
                              Cornell 67

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                                Perhaps I shouldn't even mention this, but the fact that several players have left the team is beginning to bother me. Perhaps this is none of my business, but it sort of signals that something is somehow amiss

Wally
                                Cornell 67
                                This happens quite often there I remember when a bunch left in the middle of a season including 3 who went to Curry and their first game for Curry was back at the Ronny B. I think the only thing amiss is their record.

Comment

Working...
                                X