The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

One thing about our team is there is absolutely no pressure on them tonight because no one, and I mean NO ONE (outside of us Buckeye fans) gives them a chance tonight. Did anyone else read the West Regional picks on this site? It's like tonight's game is an afterthought, like it's a done deal that Minnesota-Duluth is going to just mop us up. We'll see about that. I hope UMD thinks it's going to be a cakewalk just like all the uscho.com writers.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      One thing about our team is there is absolutely no pressure on them tonight because no one, and I mean NO ONE (outside of us Buckeye fans) gives them a chance tonight. Did anyone else read the West Regional picks on this site? It's like tonight's game is an afterthought, like it's a done deal that Minnesota-Duluth is going to just mop us up. We'll see about that. I hope UMD thinks it's going to be a cakewalk just like all the uscho.com writers.
      Coming from a Gopher fan: I give you a chance. Get a couple of power plays and look out! Good luck.
      You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        I have heard bits and pieces of information but nothing etched in stone yet. I would hope the powers that be would have the foresight to build something bigger than 5,000 (seems kind of small-ish for a college hockey arena in Columbus, OH), but a hockey-only facility is so overdue here that I guess we'll have to settle for what we can get.
        Our, somewhat inflated in my opinion, attendance stats say we average just over 5,000 so hopefully not too much bigger. Something Pegula Ice Arena (~5,700) - Agganis Arena (~6,200) size would be ideal, but nothing bigger than that. Especially when there's the women's team to consider. The announcer on ESPNU just said there are plans for a new arena in the works. I can't find anything online, but it appears there's something to the rumors this time.
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Well... That sucks. Those missed chances in OT are the things that drive any fan insane. That said, the team left it all on the ice. We should be very proud of the showing they gave us tonight. Especially with some of our D-men out. Excellent performance by Tomkins. Really wish our seniors could've gotten themselves one more win, but at the end of the day they gave us one heck of a season. If you got go out, its best to go out swinging against one of the best teams in the country.
          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
          University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Rats, you nuts, was hoping you'd pull that one out. Really like your team, especially 8 & 9, congrats on a solid season.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
              Our, somewhat inflated in my opinion, attendance stats say we average just over 5,000 so hopefully not too much bigger. Something Pegula Ice Arena (~5,700) - Agganis Arena (~6,200) size would be ideal, but nothing bigger than that. Especially when there's the women's team to consider. The announcer on ESPNU just said there are plans for a new arena in the works. I can't find anything online, but it appears there's something to the rumors this time.
              We went to Pegula Ice Arena back in January to watch the OSU Women take on Penn State and were really impressed. I originally wanted something in the 7,000 - 8,000 range so we weren't turning folks away for big games that draw 8,000+, but after seeing other arenas like Pegula, Yost Ice Arena (5,800) and Munn Ice Arena (6,470), I have come around to OSU building a 6,000-seat arena. I think 5,000 is a little small for a school/city the size of OSU/Columbus. All the talking heads on tv are saying there is something in the works and I heard Shaun Richard say that on 97.1 The Fan during an interview, but I have not seen anything in writing as of yet. I'll believe it when I see guys in suits and hard hats having a ground-breaking ceremony.
              Last edited by osualum86; 03-25-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Well... That sucks. Those missed chances in OT are the things that drive any fan insane. That said, the team left it all on the ice. We should be very proud of the showing they gave us tonight. Especially with some of our D-men out. Excellent performance by Tomkins. Really wish our seniors could've gotten themselves one more win, but at the end of the day they gave us one heck of a season. If you got go out, its best to go out swinging against one of the best teams in the country.
                Tough way to end the season, but yeah, really proud of this team and the resilience they showed tonight. They played hard all night long and never gave up. No one gave them a chance to even be in that game and they could have won it. They all played their hearts out. I really wish the seniors could have gotten some more wins. It will be a long offseason now, but they have the talent to build on this and come back better next season. Work on and get better at the things they didn't do well this season, play 60-minute games moving forward (next season), and treat every game with equal importance. Do those things and we won't be a 15-seed next season! I am already looking forward to next season with the personnel we will have coming back, not to mention the recruiting class we have coming in.

Comment

Painful defeat; particularly in light of the opportunity lost. It would have been one of the more significant wins in program history. As our side of the bracket was playing out, a deep run was a definite possibility...

And yet, we should all be very proud of the players and coaches. The team competed with great honor. As you look around the larger world these days, honor is a quality that is in rather short supply.

Another take away is that Miska was flat-out brilliant in goal for the Bulldogs. Easily the #1 Star of the game. When you witness that kind of greatness, the only reasonable reaction is to tip your hat and say well done.

Last, but certainly not least, the Buckeyes proved that they belonged on the big stage, both to themselves and everyone else. When you've been on the outside of the tournament looking in for a long time, there is a human tendency to be happy just to be there. The Buckeyes avoided that pitfall nicely. Make it back to the tournament next year, and the team will be sharply focused and hungry to reverse tonight's result. That's a productive mindset.

Does any of that provide consolation? No, not really. But is there value in it as we move forward? I say yes.

Comment

Very tough way.

I only stayed up until the end of the 2nd, and up until then, I kind of figured you would lose- NOT because you were playing bad at all. Just could not solve UMD's goalie, or they were a little tense on the sticks to get the shots that they have been getting most of the season. So many chances in the first 40 min that would not go in.

Obviously, that changed in the 3rd to get goals to tie it up.

But from what I'm reading about OT- it was MORE of the first 40 min- your great offense just could not solve the goalie. As they say, if "if's" were 5ths, we'd all be drunk right now....

Given how my team ended- OSU was one team (Tech being the other) we were hoping to see in Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      But from what I'm reading about OT- it was MORE of the first 40 min- your great offense just could not solve the goalie.
                      I respectfully but totally disagree with this. In the first 40 minutes, we were a team trying to pull an upset, struggling to find a way. In contrast, we dominated the OT. It was like two different games.

For the portion of the game you actually saw, your comments are accurate. Stop going to bed so early.

Comment

What a game last night couldnt be more proud of this team. They fought for 60 minutes plus against who i consider the best team in the country. I thought the Buckeyes were the better team from the last 10 minutes of the 2nd period on. That goalie for Duluth made 3 outstanding saves right in front of me and that was the difference in the game. The winning goal was set up off a mistake in the defensive zone and they just couldnt get the puck back. Nothing to hang the heads about for the guys. Thank you to the seniors on this team they will be missed. The bar has been set and the guys who are coming back next year need to raise the bar even more. Getting here isnt easy and saying is that much harder. Have a great summer see everyone next year.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                          What a game last night couldnt be more proud of this team. They fought for 60 minutes plus against who i consider the best team in the country. I thought the Buckeyes were the better team from the last 10 minutes of the 2nd period on. That goalie for Duluth made 3 outstanding saves right in front of me and that was the difference in the game. The winning goal was set up off a mistake in the defensive zone and they just couldnt get the puck back. Nothing to hang the heads about for the guys. Thank you to the seniors on this team they will be missed. The bar has been set and the guys who are coming back next year need to raise the bar even more. Getting here isnt easy and saying is that much harder. Have a great summer see everyone next year.
                          They showed a close up of you on TV. Since I couldn't go they needed the next best looking Ohio State fan our viewing pleasure! LOL!

Comment

Tough way to end the season, but overall it was the best season in some time. Something to build on.

With seven seniors gone I can come up with five replacements that have signed letters of intent or were in red shirt seasons this year.

Sean Romeo (G)
                            Wyatt Ege (d)
                            Michael Rounds (d)
                            Austin Pooley (f)
                            Tommy Nappier (g)

Assuming no one else leaves that means there only two openings to fill. One of them will most likely have to be a goalie and they have a commit from Evan Moyse from the NAHL. That would leave just one more to add and from the list and it appears the team needs a center or forward.

Any ideas?

Comment

Is Austin Perry Pooley's son?

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                                Hats off to you for making the long trip and hats off to your team. They could have packed it in after being down 2-0 but came on strong and played really well. The Bulldogs should be very happy that Miska played that well. I've been a UMD fan for 10 years and haven't seen goaltending like that. OSU should have won that game and UMD was lucky to have won it. UMD thought the game was won and let OSU get back into (plus OSU just played better as the game went along)
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X