• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...rendan-whittet

Mike Levine leaving for Vegas expansion franchise
    With Mark White having left last year and now Mike Levine leaving, Brown has lost two solid coaches and great recruiters at the start of the school year. Any names floating around for replacing Mike?

Comment

I finally made it to the Foxboro pro league on Wednesday! It was fun to see Matt Harlow, Bobby Farnham, and Nick Lappin play on a line together. Bobby did a handstand on the ice after the other team scored an empty net goal to seal the game. Can't say I've seen that before!

Connor Maher allowed 5 goals, but each was scored by an NHL player and would've been a tough (or even impossible) save for any college goalie. I was very impressed by his play - he stopped several breakaways and chances right in or around the crease, had good rebound control, made excellent reactionary saves, and shut down a few second chances. I'd like to see him get some game action this season.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        I finally made it to the Foxboro pro league on Wednesday! It was fun to see Matt Harlow, Bobby Farnham, and Nick Lappin play on a line together. Bobby did a handstand on the ice after the other team scored an empty net goal to seal the game. Can't say I've seen that before!

Connor Maher allowed 5 goals, but each was scored by an NHL player and would've been a tough (or even impossible) save for any college goalie. I was very impressed by his play - he stopped several breakaways and chances right in or around the crease, had good rebound control, made excellent reactionary saves, and shut down a few second chances. I'd like to see him get some game action this season.
        I certainly agree regarding your views on Maher. I think he had a strong showing when he came in mid game vs. Quinnipiac down 4-1(?) as a freshmen. He wasn't perfect by any means, but I thought he gave the team a chance. I don't think I was the only one who was surprised he didn't start vs. Princeton the next night. Instead he started at Clarkson almost a year later -- a road trip I'm sure the whole team would like to forget. Would definitely like to see him get some time this season behind a strengthened defense group!

Comment

Originally posted by rihockey44 View Post
          I certainly agree regarding your views on Maher. I think he had a strong showing when he came in mid game vs. Quinnipiac down 4-1(?) as a freshmen. He wasn't perfect by any means, but I thought he gave the team a chance. I don't think I was the only one who was surprised he didn't start vs. Princeton the next night. Instead he started at Clarkson almost a year later -- a road trip I'm sure the whole team would like to forget. Would definitely like to see him get some time this season behind a strengthened defense group!
          That Clarkson game was one of the worst games the team played last year (and there were quite a few downers). Maher allowed 5 goals but, again, it's hard to fault him for any of them when his defense provided no support whatsoever.

I'm hoping Whittet will give each of his three goalies a shot this year.

Comment

That Clarkson game was one of the worst games the team played last year (and there were quite a few downers). Maher allowed 5 goals but, again, it's hard to fault him for any of them when his defense provided no support whatsoever.

I'm hoping Whittet will give each of his three goalies a shot this year.

I saw two pro league games this year. And Maher was very good in one, outstanding in the other. Shut down a number of NHL and AHL players.
            I asked a spectator who it was, as I thought it was an AHL or NHL goalie, could not believe it was Brown's Maher. I believe he will compete for the starting goalie position. I hope his level of performance extends into the season, if so Brown may finally have a very competitive goalie. Wouldn't that be a change for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
              Agree on all counts. With regards to the forwards. I feel as if the addition of Gessert and Dodd, both of which are bump and grind "tough to play against" bottom six guys, the bottom six should be very strong. Perhaps not providing consistent scoring punch but at least will not be (-10) over the course of the season and control the puck below the goal line.

The big question remains as you brought up who will be the top six and more importantly will they be able to develop chemistry to the point where we can score 5v5 and Man-Up.
              Re. First-year forwards: Don't overlook Brent Beaudoin. The kid has solid offensive credentials.
              Re. Top six defensemen: Dane Cooper is healthy and is expected to contribute regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                With Mark White having left last year and now Mike Levine leaving, Brown has lost two solid coaches and great recruiters at the start of the school year. Any names floating around for replacing Mike?
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  A lateral move for Ciocco, our woes probably sped up his departure. Good luck?
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

That's quite the cross-country move...

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      This was announced officially today. It sounds like he's a good recruiter and might have pipelines established out west, which is typically out of Brown's reach, so I'm interested to see how he does.

...with that said, recruiting for Alaska and recruiting for an Ivy are two different animals. I imagine there will be a steep learning curve.

Comment

This was announced officially today. It sounds like he's a good recruiter and might have pipelines established out west, which is typically out of Brown's reach, so I'm interested to see how he does.

...with that said, recruiting for Alaska and recruiting for an Ivy are two different animals. I imagine there will be a steep learning curve.
                        Josh was an assistant coach at Milton Academy a few years back. He knows plenty about how the Ivies work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Street View Post
                          Josh was an assistant coach at Milton Academy a few years back. He knows plenty about how the Ivies work.
                          Great! That's a big advantage coming in.

Comment

New commit. He's only 16, so it'll be at least 2-3 years before he comes to Brown. Sounds like the kid can score (28 points in 16 games this year in the GOJHL.

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...20600579346432

Comment

New commit. He's only 16, so it'll be at least 2-3 years before he comes to Brown. Sounds like the kid can score (28 points in 16 games this year in the GOJHL.
                              https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...20600579346432
                              When an athlete commits to Brown 2-3 years before matriculating, I realize that the commit is still subject to admission to Brown. How does the coaching staff at the time of the commitment make the determination then that he will pass muster with the Admissions Office when his application is being processed a few years later? I am presuming that no decision is made by the Admissions Office at the time of the commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                                When an athlete commits to Brown 2-3 years before matriculating, I realize that the commit is still subject to admission to Brown. How does the coaching staff at the time of the commitment make the determination then that he will pass muster with the Admissions Office when his application is being processed a few years later? I am presuming that no decision is made by the Admissions Office at the time of the commitment.
                                The Ivy coaches will look at a recruit's transcript and PSAT or SAT scores if they have them... They tell the kid what he needs to get in - the academic index is based on GPA+Math+Verbal Sats... There are no guarantees when a school makes an offer - it is still up to the recruit to live up to his end of the bargain and get decent grades and test scores. Every year there are committed Ivy league kids who don't get through admissions because their grades weren't good enough

Comment

Working...
                                X