Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Mike - Not sure if you saw this, but the games have each been pushed back a day.
    I got the word but decided to go along with our plans to stay in Clinton Friday night after the game and drive to Hamilton for the game on Saturday.

My daughter called me this morning to say that the Albany Times Union in today's paper in reporting the ECAC scores for Friday night stated Colgate beat Brown 7-3 and Yale cornell tied. Without any connections to the Internet I assumed after I left Albany Friday at noon, the games were rescheduled back to the original dates. S we drove back to Albany today. B Now, when checking the Internet I realize the TU reporting was an "alternate fact." What a screw-up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
      I got the word but decided to go along with our plans to stay in Clinton Friday night after the game and drive to Hamilton for the game on Saturday.

My daughter called me this morning to say that the Albany Times Union in today's paper in reporting the ECAC scores for Friday night stated Colgate beat Brown 7-3 and Yale cornell tied. Without any connections to the Internet I assumed after I left Albany Friday at noon, the games were rescheduled back to the original dates. S we drove back to Albany today. B Now, when checking the Internet I realize the TU reporting was an "alternate fact." What a screw-up.
      Those were the women's hockey scores from Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
        Those were the women's hockey scores from Friday.
        I know that now but TU reported those scores in the Men's ECAC scores, TU never reports women's scores. I just assumed the paper got it right. Today, the TU reported the Yale/Cornell score as the score of Brown/Cornell and vice versa. So much for reliabilitry.

Anyways, tough loss - again. 39 seconds to go Colgate scored. I trust the team is learning from this and moving on. One other comment - Colgate hit with a 5 minute major and Brown can't get a PP goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
          I know that now but TU reported those scores in the Men's ECAC scores, TU never reports women's scores. I just assumed the paper got it right. Today, the TU reported the Yale/Cornell score as the score of Brown/Cornell and vice versa. So much for reliabilitry.

Anyways, tough loss - again. 39 seconds to go Colgate scored. I trust the team is learning from this and moving on. One other comment - Colgate hit with a 5 minute major and Brown can't get a PP goal.
          Brown also had an abbreviated 5x3 at the start of that major PP. Special teams are atrocious.

Comment

While I'm happy Colgate got a win last night, I will admit the game-winning goal was a lucky bounce. Also of note, last night was your first game in Hamilton since November 21, 2014. In that game, Brown also had a major power play (and a 3-1 lead), ultimately losing 4-3 in overtime. Wonder if our "magic" from Starr carried over to the new building.

If any of you were fortunate to have made the trip out there yesterday, I hope you enjoyed our new arena.
            Colgate '09

Comment

The highest we can mathematically finish is 11th. Again. And that's assuming we manage to get a couple points and jump RPI.

Jack Hayes seems to only care about the men's lacrosse program. While I thoroughly enjoy watching them succeed, it's completely unfair to the other programs he's neglected. Football, men's and women's hockey, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's soccer have all been left behind. This is demoralizing. As a lifelong fan of Brown athletics - some of my very earliest memories are of watching Brown play at Meehan Auditorium - I have never seen decay of this magnitude across such a large number of programs.

The athletics department has done its very best to erode what was, at one time, a devoted and passionate fan base (albeit a relatively small one) through its negligence and utter disregard for Brown's most historically prominent athletic program. Most of the folks who used to post regularly on this thread have disappeared. Many Division 3 teams regularly outdraw Brown's home games.

I personally feel almost no desire to drive an hour-plus from north of Boston to make it to the games anymore. I've only been the three home games (Providence, Colgate, Yale) and one on the road (Harvard) this season, which is easily the smallest number since I was perhaps three years old (if not younger!). I was thinking of making the drive down for Saturday's game since it's Senior Night, but I frankly don't think it's worth the effort.

This has gone far enough. Early in Brendan Whittet's tenure, it appeared as though he was building a solid program from the ground up. This is no longer the case. As things stand, I see no reason to expect any of this to change. It's time for some fresh faces and new ideas.

How can we force change? Strongly-worded emails? Seeking Hayes out at sporting events and calling on him to act face-to-face, where he can't hide behind a screen?

Comment

The highest we can mathematically finish is 11th. Again. And that's assuming we manage to get a couple points and jump RPI.

Jack Hayes seems to only care about the men's lacrosse program. While I thoroughly enjoy watching them succeed, it's completely unfair to the other programs he's neglected. Football, men's and women's hockey, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's soccer have all been left behind. This is demoralizing. As a lifelong fan of Brown athletics - some of my very earliest memories are of watching Brown play at Meehan Auditorium - I have never seen decay of this magnitude across such a large number of programs.

The athletics department has done its very best to erode what was, at one time, a devoted and passionate fan base (albeit a relatively small one) through its negligence and utter disregard for Brown's most historically prominent athletic program. Most of the folks who used to post regularly on this thread have disappeared. Many Division 3 teams regularly outdraw Brown's home games.

I personally feel almost no desire to drive an hour-plus from north of Boston to make it to the games anymore. I've only been the three home games (Providence, Colgate, Yale) and one on the road (Harvard) this season, which is easily the smallest number since I was perhaps three years old (if not younger!). I was thinking of making the drive down for Saturday's game since it's Senior Night, but I frankly don't think it's worth the effort.

This has gone far enough. Early in Brendan Whittet's tenure, it appeared as though he was building a solid program from the ground up. This is no longer the case. As things stand, I see no reason to expect any of this to change. It's time for some fresh faces and new ideas.

How can we force change? Strongly-worded emails? Seeking Hayes out at sporting events and calling on him to act face-to-face, where he can't hide behind a screen?
                Nothing is going to change. The personnel in the department has barely changed in the last 15-20 years. Heck the only new Associate Athletics Directors they've added (I think there are 20 now) are former coaches who are bred from an athletic program that has celebrated mediocrity and accepted futility for years.

Not one person on that staff is passionate about Brown, or passionate about making this program (or any program) successful. If they were they would be embarrassed at what is going on and either be working to fix it, or they would resign, disgusted with what they've contributed to.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

It starts with the AD, there is clearly no commitment to the hockey program. He never shows at games, and clearly there is no feedback to Whittet.

Whittet was interviewed the other day and said the players are overthinking the PP. How about coaching, take them off the unit if they don't get shots on net. I am not even asking them to score any more.

The first PP unit now is now lucky to get a shot off when they are out there. At least earlier we were getting shots on net.

You have players passing reapeatedly on the perimeter, bringing it end to end, losing it and no one shooting at the net. No crashing the net, no big bodies in front.

What happened to gritty and tough Brown hockey?

Colgate we get a 5 minute PP and our defenseman lose it by pulling it back over the blue line. Then take a penalty effectively killing the man advantage.

In case no one has noticed our skilled players are not getting it on net during the PP. If you can't put it on net you can't get a PP goal. They should have been putting Marchin, Bid or Middleton in front of the net, and tell the other players stop playing with the puck and shoot it. At least you would be near the net, and not on the perimeter. We don't screen th goalie or cause any chaos in front of the net.

Our D have to keep it in the zone during the PP, the number of times it has skipped over the blue line is unbelievable. Enough offensive D, it would be great to see consistent defense and clearing the puck out in front of the net. The game winning Colgate goal may have been a lucky bounce, but it was because it was not cleared from in front of the goalie sitting at the D's feet.

Goalie, give the other goalies a chance period. Ernst or Maher should be getting time at this point, we are not seeing ANY significant advantage with Nieto in net, question is if you have not already destroyed the confidence of the other goalies.

Freshman, play the older players more we are seeing too many defensive errors, we don't have any margin for error and they are physically not strong enough to play along the boards. Two of them on the same F line, guarenteed defensive problems. Far too much playing with the puck, modeled by older players +/- isn't everything, but look at those stats. For all the points scored huge defensive issues.

I am not sure what else can be done, but I don't know how they will recruit any high quality players after this group of juniors is gone, unless they significantly improve the program.

To give the PLAYERs credit, they never stop playing and try to win every game up into the last second.
                  Last edited by Brownfan14; 02-18-2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

744 at the Dartmouth game? probably inflated as well. A new low which says a lot.

In Grillo's last year, the Brown Hockey Association started to make some noise to get attention to the program from the AD. I thought it made some progress but it looks like we are back to 0 if not below. Time for the BHA to get more involved with the AD.

Comment

"I personally feel almost no desire to drive an hour-plus from north of Boston to make it to the games anymore. I've only been the three home games (Providence, Colgate, Yale) and one on the road (Harvard) this season, which is easily the smallest number since I was perhaps three years old (if not younger!). I was thinking of making the drive down for Saturday's game since it's Senior Night, but I frankly don't think it's worth the effort. " KDiff

I have been driving 6 hours for games - 3 down and 3 back- for many years. I know what you mean. It is getting harder for me. Not so much the lack of success on the ice, but parking, lack of heat, poor attendance, has been taking its toll on me. I would bring my grandkids, all hockey players, for the promotions the AD used to have - team photos, autograph sessions with the players, skate with the players - but those events are no longer held. I hope that I don't say enough is enough any time soon.

Comment

Mike - Any idea why the BHA is silent these days? Seems like they have the clearest path to Jack Hayes' ear.

I fully agree re: pomrotions and events. I still have some old paraphernalia signed by Brown players from when I was a little kid lying around somewhere, and I used to skate with the team (which was a THRILL for young kids who played in local youth leagues). They used to let us in the locker room to meet the players after games. They had giveaways that made the games fun for the fans (anyone remember the thundersticks during the Danis era?).

Now, we're lucky to get chuck-a-puck events or a raffle in the foyer. This doesn't particularly affect me, as I wouldn't be participating in any of the aforementioned activities anyway, but I find it hard to believe that kids who attend these games will be asking their parents for a return trip anymore.

It's a bleak, dull, sad environment these days. And that's not even taking the on-ice play into consideration.

Comment

Giving up two goals in the first six minutes of Senior Night is pathetic. Fire Whittet.

Comment

Will Harvard score more goals tonight than Quinnipiac's lacrosse team will at Stevenson tomorrow?

Comment

Mike - Any idea why the BHA is silent these days? Seems like they have the clearest path to Jack Hayes' ear.
                              Don't know. I am sure the BHA leadership is disappointed in what is going on with the lack of support for the program and it should be speaking up.

Comment

Any thoughts on this weekend? I don't see any quit on this team and I expect a good effort. If P and Q take Brown lightly, especially Q, Brown wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X