Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Also just saw that Will Scherer will leave Brown and return to juniors. I cannot fathom why he only played two games this year. He's one of our most talented defenders. Another example of the coaching staff not "getting" it.
    Will's stats after three semesters at Brown: 17 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Evidently Will wanted more ice time. He'll get that in juniors. I believe he'll still have three full years of college eligibility.

Comment

FYI, Sherer landed in the USHL with the Omaha Lancers.
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
        Will's stats after three semesters at Brown: 17 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.

Evidently Will wanted more ice time. He'll get that in juniors. I believe he'll still have three full years of college eligibility.
        Fair, but our other defenders (with the exception of Gottlieb) aren't exactly lighting up the scoresheet either. I liked Scherer's two-way game. He was adept in his own zone but could also move the puck.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Fair, but our other defenders (with the exception of Gottlieb) aren't exactly lighting up the scoresheet either. I liked Scherer's two-way game. He was adept in his own zone but could also move the puck.
          Those are pretty global stats. I would prefer to judge on the total game statistics. The current system of focusing only on offense is a huge part of the issue. We show no discipline defensively, and it really doesn't matter how many goals you score if you give up more. What happened to gritty, tough and physical Brown hockey. Players have no idea why some players get time and others don't get time. Will leaving the team must be a huge morale issue, he is good player. He deserved better as does Tyler Wood.

Tonight lines are out and the coaches have switched it up again. You can't win when you can't stick to a game plan. The first line needs to be broken up to raise the offensive level on other lines and decrease the defensive issues on that line.

It appears overall performance and consistent effort has no impact on playing time, The erratic nature of lines, poor coaching to the penalty issues and erratic playing time is of concern. The coaches don't appear to be using overall game statistics in informing playing time or lines. It feels like they are playing for next year, they should be worried how the program is viewed for current players and potential future players.

I hope for the best tonight, but worry it will be more the same. Poor discipline, error prone defense and goal tending. I certainly hope I am wrong.

Comment

I think your worries are warranted. How patient will the AD be with the current situation?

Comment

Waited a couple of days to Post this Mike (). 3 more wins & he ties former Engineer net minder Neil Little........ Yann Danis reached a pair of career milestones on Saturday night while backstopping the St. John’s IceCaps to victory. http://theahl.com/double-milestones-for-danis
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Waited a couple of days to Post this Mike (). 3 more wins & he ties former Engineer net minder Neil Little........ Yann Danis reached a pair of career milestones on Saturday night while backstopping the St. John’s IceCaps to victory. http://theahl.com/double-milestones-for-danis
                Thanks for the Update. Hadn't focused on the AHL for awhile, Harry Z, Bobby Farnham, Garnet Hathaway, and Nick Lappin in the NHL. Yann is like the Energizer Bunny, keeps on playing at a high level. Great representative for Brown hockey. Back to the Albany Devils with Lappin sent down. BTW, I trust you are like me, hoping for our team to turn the corner and start playing at the level our talent would indicate. It would be great to see RPI and Brown again in the ECAC first round at Meehan with Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                  Thanks for the Update. Hadn't focused on the AHL for awhile, Harry Z, Bobby Farnham, Garnet Hathaway, and Nick Lappin in the NHL. Yann is like the Energizer Bunny, keeps on playing at a high level. Great representative for Brown hockey. Back to the Albany Devils with Lappin sent down. BTW, I trust you are like me, hoping for our team to turn the corner and start playing at the level our talent would indicate. It would be great to see RPI and Brown again in the ECAC first round at Meehan with Brown.
                  Farnham was sent down the same day as Lappin. I don’t expect any kind of push from RPI. Both will be on the road as 12th or 11th place teams......well, at least RPI will.

Comment

Don't know what to say about this weekend. A few weeks ago I thought we could take Dartmouth but after the Clarkson game and Dartmouth play last week in the Capital District I'm not ready to say Brown can win. As to Dartmouth's game against Union, I watched the game on the local cable TV station and I was impressed with Dartmouth's play. A disciplined and scrappy team which played U even until it ran out of gas. I was the opposite as to Harvard as I thought we had no chance. But Harvard was terrible against RPI (uninspired play thinking RPI would be a push-over), not good at all against Union, and then was demolished last night by Dartmouth. Brown may have a chance.

Brown simply is not as bad as it record indicates. Mistakes are always leading to goals - Sound familiar? - and the team can't seem to avoid them. Maybe this weekend it can?While we have a capable scoring line, teams will simply focus on that line and with no secondary scoring that does not bode well for us.

Comment

Don't know what to say about this weekend. A few weeks ago I thought we could take Dartmouth but after the Clarkson game and Dartmouth play last week in the Capital District I'm not ready to say Brown can win. As to Dartmouth's game against Union, I watched the game on the local cable TV station and I was impressed with Dartmouth's play. A disciplined and scrappy team which played U even until it ran out of gas. I was the opposite as to Harvard as I thought we had no chance. But Harvard was terrible against RPI (uninspired play thinking RPI would be a push-over), not good at all against Union, and then was demolished last night by Dartmouth. Brown may have a chance.

Brown simply is not as bad as it record indicates. Mistakes are always leading to goals - Sound familiar? - and the team can't seem to avoid them. Maybe this weekend it can?While we have a capable scoring line, teams will simply focus on that line and with no secondary scoring that does not bode well for us.
                      Well you could probably tell from my post on the Dartmouth thread that I certainly was not expecting outcome of last nights Dartmouth vs Harvard game. Now having seen Harvard once with a sample size of 1 and with all due respect...how could a team fall apart, even the great teams do not exhibit such wide degree of Jekyl and Hyde, thus I am not so sure about Harvard.
                      You are spot on about the Dartmouth vs Union game. It was a really tight game not indicative of the final score. Two key elements played into that: PP/PK teams and Union has a couple of players that can impact games in Foo and Sak.

Comment

I'm watching a replay of the past weekend game between Army and Mercyhurst. Interesting that Army's coach Brian Riley, Brown '82, is opposing a team on which his two sons play. And earlier this week I was watching the local prep school hockey team, Albany Academy, a strong team, placing a lot of players on D1 rosters, which is coached by Brian's nephew. The Riley's are quite the hockey family.

Comment

Kdiff: Did you make it to the Harvard game? Anything good to report?

Comment

Tonight's game at Dartmouth should be interesting. If the team that appeared for D last night shows up, Brown has a good chance to take a W. Big Green, what happened last night against Yale?

Comment

Tonight's game at Dartmouth should be interesting. If the team that appeared for D last night shows up, Brown has a good chance to take a W. Big Green, what happened last night against Yale?
                              Mike Hutter, you are correct! Which Dartmouth team will show up, the one that spanked Harvard or the one that got spanked by Yale. As for Yale, they were by far the better team. I would say bad D zone coverage and goaltending were the root causes although that was NOT the sole reason for the loss...it was a total team effort that looked tired and uninspired. It should be very interesting tonight and would expect some lineup changes. Good Luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                                Kdiff: Did you make it to the Harvard game? Anything good to report?
                                I did make it to the game. Nieto was excellent in goal. First goal was a weird fluke bounce off a defender, the second was tipped off a shot from the point. Third was an empty-netter.

Other than that, not a whole lot of positives. The talent disparity between the two teams wasn't substantial, but Harvard had the clear and obvious tactical edge. We made a lot of simple mistakes and were often out of position in all three zones. This is a coaching deficiency, plain and simple.

At this point, I fear the program will never ascend without high-level changes. There is plenty of talent on this team, but it rarely develops and players often look lost on the ice and unaware of appropriate situational reactions. I'm very frustrated with the state of this program.

Comment

Working...
                                X