Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
    The Ivy coaches will look at a recruit's transcript and PSAT or SAT scores if they have them... They tell the kid what he needs to get in - the academic index is based on GPA+Math+Verbal Sats... There are no guarantees when a school makes an offer - it is still up to the recruit to live up to his end of the bargain and get decent grades and test scores. Every year there are committed Ivy league kids who don't get through admissions because their grades weren't good enough
    This is what happened with Miles Wood, as I understand it.

Comment

Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

I count 9 Brown hockey alums in NHL camps - Lorito - Detroit; Lappin - New Jersey; Naclerio - Boston; Harry Z - Nashville; Farnham - Montreal; Robertson - Carolina; Hathaway - Calgary; Danis - Anaheim; Garbutt - Anaheim. Am I missing anyone? A lot of talent there.

Comment

When do the bears start formal practices?

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            Sigh. Maybe his brother, who is an All-American on the lacrosse team, can get him to re-commit.

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/06/majo...ll-optimistic/

You know, I'm starting to feel cautiously optimistic about this season (a dangerous prospect for Brown fans, I know). The three draft picks are juniors and finally all in their 20s. For perspective, all three are younger than Tommy Marchin and Alex Brink. Unless you have elite talent like Eichel or Gaudreau, it's incredibly hard to succeed in college hockey as a teenager, especially in a league like the ECAC where most teams can't get the best recruits consistently and have to go after older players. I really think Willman, Bird, and Lafferty can take a big step forward this year as they mature and become men (sorry, but an 18-year-old is a kid, not an adult).

I also am excited to see how Marchin and Gottlieb improve, and it sounds like a couple of the freshmen (most notably Brent Beaudoin) will be able to round out the top six. When Zach Pryzbek is at his best, he's a legitimate top six forward due to his size, shot, and instincts. Alex Brink showed some promise as a freshman not only in terms of his hitting, but with regard to his skill on the puck. Tim Lappin's return from injury will add some blazing speed and decent skill to the lineup.

The big question, as the article notes, will be goaltending (duh). If one of Nieto, Maher, or Ernst can even put up an average save percentage (say, .915), the team will be in a good position because of its defensive depth and a few game-changers on offense. The abilities of puck-moving defensemen who can also defend, like Gottlieb and hopefully Schoo/Scherer can develop into that, cannot be understated. We've had problems for years transitioning from defense to offense. Elite puck-movers can help assuage those concerns.

I'm looking forward to this season! I think we'll probably start slowly because of all the changes and new faces, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2013-esque run later in the year.
              Last edited by kdiff77; 10-06-2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/06/majo...ll-optimistic/

You know, I'm starting to feel cautiously optimistic about this season (a dangerous prospect for Brown fans, I know). The three draft picks are juniors and finally all in their 20s. For perspective, all three are younger than Tommy Marchin and Alex Brink. Unless you have elite talent like Eichel or Gaudreau, it's incredibly hard to succeed in college hockey as a teenager, especially in a league like the ECAC where most teams can't get the best recruits consistently and have to go after older players. I really think Willman, Bird, and Lafferty can take a big step forward this year as they mature and become men (sorry, but an 18-year-old is a kid, not an adult).

I also am excited to see how Marchin and Gottlieb improve, and it sounds like a couple of the freshmen (most notably Brent Beaudoin) will be able to round out the top six. When Zach Pryzbek is at his best, he's a legitimate top six forward due to his size, shot, and instincts. Alex Brink showed some promise as a freshman not only in terms of his hitting, but with regard to his skill on the puck. Tim Lappin's return from injury will add some blazing speed and decent skill to the lineup.

The big question, as the article notes, will be goaltending (duh). If one of Nieto, Maher, or Ernst can even put up an average save percentage (say, .915), the team will be in a good position because of its defensive depth and a few game-changers on offense. The abilities of puck-moving defensemen who can also defend, like Gottlieb and hopefully Schoo/Scherer can develop into that, cannot be understated. We've had problems for years transitioning from defense to offense. Elite puck-movers can help assuage those concerns.I'm looking forward to this season! I think we'll probably start slowly because of all the changes and new faces, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2013-esque run later in the year.
                I think everything turns on the season Bird, Willman, and Lafferty have. If they show on a consistent basis the scoring skills they have demonstrated they have in the past 2 years, Brown can get home ice for the playoffs. If not, it will be the proverbial long winter. It will be interesting to see the lines Brendan puts together.

Comment

BTW, did everyone on the roster as printed on the website return to the team or did we lose anyone?

Comment

What would you like to see put together for lines/d pairs?

Comment

Originally posted by rihockey44 View Post
                      What would you like to see put together for lines/d pairs?
                      To start the season, I'd like to see:

Marchin-Lafferty-Beaudoin
                      Willman-Corcoran-Bird
                      Pryzbek-Aibel-Lappin
                      Brink-Dodd-Gessert
                      Extras: Doane, Middleton

I'm actually not sure which positions the freshmen play. They're all listed simply as forwards on Brownbears.com, HockeyDB, and Elite Prospects. So, with that in mind, these lines could bear little resemblance to what we actually see on October 28th depending on who can play center. I tried to shoot for a balance of skill, size, and speed on each line, but I would also be interested to see lines with distinct identities. For example, Bird could move up to the first line and give us a heavy-hitting scoring line, while Beaudoin or Lappin could slot in on the second and give us a line that could torture opponents with speed.

I'd like to see Andrew Doane get some playing time as well. He's brought some energy and skill to the team in the past. I'm not so enthralled with the idea of Davey Middleton seeing important minutes again. Depending on how well the freshmen do, he should be used as a 13th/14th forward primarily.

Gottlieb-McArdle
                      Cooper-Giuttari
                      Tegtmeyer-Sherer
                      Extras: Schoo, Maguire, Wynne, Wood

We have a lot of options on defense - I fully expect Schoo, Maguire, and Wood (Whittet seems to like his physicality, though I don't think he's any good) to be rotated into the lineup on a frequent basis.

Goalies are kind of a wild card, but I hope Whittet is flexible and gives each netminder a chance to stake his claim on the job. I think we know what Ernst is at this point - an ok positional goalie, but lacking athleticism. What we don't know, however, is what Maher or Nieto can bring to the table at the collegiate level. Maher looked good against a team chock-full of NHL players and former BC stars in the Foxboro summer league, and Nieto put up terrific stats in the NAHL (comparable to Connor Hellebuyck's numbers at that level). One of them should be able to get a firm grasp on the starting job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                        BTW, did everyone on the roster as printed on the website return to the team or did we lose anyone?
                        I haven't heard of any departures, but Tim Doherty left the team around this time last year, so who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          To start the season, I'd like to see:

Marchin-Lafferty-Beaudoin
                          Willman-Corcoran-Bird
                          Pryzbek-Aibel-Lappin
                          Brink-Dodd-Gessert
                          Extras: Doane, Middleton

I'm actually not sure which positions the freshmen play. They're all listed simply as forwards on Brownbears.com, HockeyDB, and Elite Prospects. So, with that in mind, these lines could bear little resemblance to what we actually see on October 28th depending on who can play center. I tried to shoot for a balance of skill, size, and speed on each line, but I would also be interested to see lines with distinct identities. For example, Bird could move up to the first line and give us a heavy-hitting scoring line, while Beaudoin or Lappin could slot in on the second and give us a line that could torture opponents with speed.

I'd like to see Andrew Doane get some playing time as well. He's brought some energy and skill to the team in the past. I'm not so enthralled with the idea of Davey Middleton seeing important minutes again. Depending on how well the freshmen do, he should be used as a 13th/14th forward primarily.

Gottlieb-McArdle
                          Cooper-Giuttari
                          Tegtmeyer-Sherer
                          Extras: Schoo, Maguire, Wynne, Wood

We have a lot of options on defense - I fully expect Schoo, Maguire, and Wood (Whittet seems to like his physicality, though I don't think he's any good) to be rotated into the lineup on a frequent basis.

Goalies are kind of a wild card, but I hope Whittet is flexible and gives each netminder a chance to stake his claim on the job. I think we know what Ernst is at this point - an ok positional goalie, but lacking athleticism. What we don't know, however, is what Maher or Nieto can bring to the table at the collegiate level. Maher looked good against a team chock-full of NHL players and former BC stars in the Foxboro summer league, and Nieto put up terrific stats in the NAHL (comparable to Connor Hellebuyck's numbers at that level). One of them should be able to get a firm grasp on the starting job.
                          Gottlieb and McArdle is a good pairing. McArdle showed dramatic improvement from his Freshman year and will likely continue that improvement. Gottlieb will be attracting the scouts this year.

I always thought Wood plays a steady game. Nothing spectacular but keeps turnovers at a minimum. Turnovers were a problem last year. I would also like to see Schoo on a regular shift.

In addition to a willman, Bird, Lafferty line, I would like to see how Lappin, Marchin and Brink would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                            I would also like to see Schoo on a regular shift.

In addition to a willman, Bird, Lafferty line, I would like to see how Lappin, Marchin and Brink would do.
                            I'm a big proponent of a Schoo-Scherer pairing, but Whittet seems to like balancing puck-movers with "shutdown" guys. I'd rather just have guys who can handle the puck and get the transition game going so that we're not constantly trapped in our own zone, but I know this isn't a unanimous opinion. To me, there isn't enough of an upgrade in terms of play in our defensive end with the "shutdown" guys we have to justify keeping players like Schoo and Scherer out of the lineup. Our possession numbers weren't bad last year (right around 50%), but when we were in our own zone, we were likely to give up a goal. We can either pray that the defensive play improves, or put players out there who can keep the puck out of that zone in the first place.

Willman, Bird, and Lafferty have never really seemed to click as a line over their first two seasons on campus, so I'd lean toward splitting them up, but I'm really open to trying any line combinations this year.

Comment

"C" and "As" announced:

http://brownbears.com/sports/m-hocke...20161012jklo4k

Comment

Congrats to Andrew Doane! I guess this means he'll get more playing time!

Comment

Working...
                                X