Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

I saw a tweet that said Blake Weyrick is headed to Canisius this fall. Interesting.

Comment

Farnham has signed a two way deal with Montreal. http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890002
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Interesting view of Bobby Farnham in this article:
        http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/Ic...way-contract/1

Comment

Have to be excited with what the staff has done on the recruiting trail this summer. Depending on who matriculates versus playing another year of junior the Incoming class of 2017-2018 is shaping up to be a great one.

Comment

RPI blog Without a Peer post about Brown http://www.withoutapeer.com/2016/07/...emy-brown.html.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with WaP except as a reader.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              RPI blog Without a Peer post about Brown http://www.withoutapeer.com/2016/07/...emy-brown.html.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with WaP except as a reader.
              A bleak assessment, though one that's tough to argue.

Comment

I for one am on the optimistic side.

Our defense returns 5/6th intact, with two highly regarded incoming recruits: Joe Maguire (USHL) and Zach Giutarri (BCHL). Everyone is a year older and stronger and we should be able to find 6 solid/reliable players out of a very deep stable.
                Defenseman:
                Gottlieb McArdle
                Tegtmeyer Schoo
                Wood Cooper
                Maguire Giutarri
                Scherer, Rossi, Wynee

While other than Gottlieb perhaps none have the ability to be top tier puck moving playmakers, there is no reason why due to friendly competition to get in the lineup five guys cant emerge out of that group to produce reliable defense two nights a week. While quantity does not always lead to QUALITY, I have found that it does not hurt your changes at producing it.

Better defense ALWAYS leads to better goaltending... and closer games. I think the Bears will surprise some people in 2016-2017.

P.S. My early nominee for Most Improved Player in the entire ECAC is Charlie Corcoran (who I could see centering Marchin's line)

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
                  I for one am on the optimistic side.

Our defense returns 5/6th intact, with two highly regarded incoming recruits: Joe Maguire (USHL) and Zach Giutarri (BCHL). Everyone is a year older and stronger and we should be able to find 6 solid/reliable players out of a very deep stable.
                  Defenseman:
                  Gottlieb McArdle
                  Tegtmeyer Schoo
                  Wood Cooper
                  Maguire Giutarri
                  Scherer, Rossi, Wynee

While other than Gottlieb perhaps none have the ability to be top tier puck moving playmakers, there is no reason why due to friendly competition to get in the lineup five guys cant emerge out of that group to produce reliable defense two nights a week. While quantity does not always lead to QUALITY, I have found that it does not hurt your changes at producing it.

Better defense ALWAYS leads to better goaltending... and closer games. I think the Bears will surprise some people in 2016-2017.

P.S. My early nominee for Most Improved Player in the entire ECAC is Charlie Corcoran (who I could see centering Marchin's line)
                  I'm with you - I think our defense will be vastly improved and a strength of the team. Gottlieb, Schoo, and Scherer all have good potential and the incoming freshmen look like they can contribute right away. We could potentially roll with five underclassmen and Josh McArdle on D (which may lead to some growing pains, but could be a good investment for the long haul). I also thought Tegtmeyer looked good toward the end of last season; it'll be interesting to observe his continued development.

Against Holy Cross on October 28th, I'd like to see:

Gottlieb-McArdle
                  Scherer-Tegtmeyer
                  Schoo-Giuttari

I think that gives us a good mix of puck-moving and shot-supressing abilities.

The forward corps is a bit more murky. Can anyone step up, whether individually or by committee, to replace the lost production of Lappin and Naclerio? I'd bet decent money that Lafferty, Willman, Bird, and Corcoran will see jumps in their point totals, but will that be enough?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    I'm with you - I think our defense will be vastly improved and a strength of the team. Gottlieb, Schoo, and Scherer all have good potential and the incoming freshmen look like they can contribute right away. We could potentially roll with five underclassmen and Josh McArdle on D (which may lead to some growing pains, but could be a good investment for the long haul). I also thought Tegtmeyer looked good toward the end of last season; it'll be interesting to observe his continued development.

Against Holy Cross on October 28th, I'd like to see:

Gottlieb-McArdle
                    Scherer-Tegtmeyer
                    Schoo-Giuttari

I think that gives us a good mix of puck-moving and shot-supressing abilities.

The forward corps is a bit more murky. Can anyone step up, whether individually or by committee, to replace the lost production of Lappin and Naclerio? I'd bet decent money that Lafferty, Willman, Bird, and Corcoran will see jumps in their point totals, but will that be enough?
                    Agree on all counts. With regards to the forwards. I feel as if the addition of Gessert and Dodd, both of which are bump and grind "tough to play against" bottom six guys, the bottom six should be very strong. Perhaps not providing consistent scoring punch but atleast will not be (-10) over the course of the season and control the puck below the goal line.

The big question remains as you brought up who will be the top six and more importantly will they be able to develop chemistry to the point where we can score 5v5 and Man-Up.

Comment

Tyler Steel leaves Brown:

https://handtftp.wordpress.com/2016/...the-beginning/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                        I was wondering if one of the goalies would leave the program, since there were four of them on the roster. I figured it'd be Maher, however, since he's rarely played during his two years at Brown. It makes sense, though. I'd expected Nieto and Ernst to share most of the time in net this year, with Steel and Maher on the outside looking in.

Best of luck to Tyler! His once-promising collegiate career was derailed by injuries, and I certainly hope he can find his game again in the pros. Upon reading the post, I was initially skeptical, but my concerns were mostly alleviated when he laid out his plan for graduation. At the very least, he can "fall back" on his degree from an elite institution, so why not try his luck at hockey?

Comment

https://www.neutralzone.net/2016/08/...-mclane-story/

good read. Sounds like a solid pickup and start too the '19 class.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
                            https://www.neutralzone.net/2016/08/...-mclane-story/ good read. Sounds like a solid pickup and start too the '19 class.
                            I like seeing Brown's recruits turning down other schools. As Kane 88 says, future is looking better and better, starting even with 3016-2017.

Comment

Did anyone from the roster attend the Blackhawks' prospect camp? I went to Bagel Gourmet on Thayer this morning and there was a (seemingly) college-aged guy wearing a Blackhawks' prospect camp shirt there.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...rendan-whittet

Mike Levine leaving for Vegas expansion franchise
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X