Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    -Awesome to see Connor Wynne get his first career goal! Nice snipe in off the post.
    -Ernst was very solid. He didn't have to make too many outstanding saves, but he stopped every shot he should have, and that's awesome.
    -Zack Giuttari was (in my opinion) the second-best player on the ice after Max Gottlieb. He showed poise well beyond his years, read the game well in all three zones, had some really sharp passes, and make great decisions throughout. I was so impressed with him today! Gottlieb, as I alluded to, was similarly excellent in all of those areas and made plays happen constantly.
    -Tommy Marchin needs to get a goal to get his confidence up. You can tell he's one of the more talented players out there, but he just doesn't seem able to translate that onto the scoresheet yet. Certainly, it was going to be more difficult him without Nick Lappin to create plays, but I still expected him to produce and progress as a player. Hoping he doesn't turn out like Inhacak.
    -Charlie Corcoran has been awesome the best few games. He has great chemistry with Willman.
    Before I read your post I exchanged emails with a longtime Bruno fan. I made the exact same comment you made about Marchin - he has the tools but just can't get started; his shots on goal at Union were true blasts; and Corcoran - a great game at Union, RPI and now this past weekend. Kane88 has always been high on him and he is becoming a proven goal scorer.

Who plays in goal next weekend? Ernst played well in goal last year up at SLU.

Comment

Garnet Hathaway is back in the NHL and harry Z is back in the AHL. Still 3 Bruno alums in NHL. Speaking OF HARRY Z, he played last night against Matt Lorito who is with Grand Rapids, the Red Wings affiliate and the team's leading scorer. GR won.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        Before I read your post I exchanged emails with a longtime Bruno fan. I made the exact same comment you made about Marchin - he has the tools but just can't get started; his shots on goal at Union were true blasts; and Corcoran - a great game at Union, RPI and now this past weekend. Kane88 has always been high on him and he is becoming a proven goal scorer.

Who plays in goal next weekend? Ernst played well in goal last year up at SLU.
        Here's to hoping Marchin gets it going this weekend! He's been taking lots of shots the last two weekends: 6 against RPI, 5 against Union, 5 against Cornell (only 2 against Colgate, but he was on the third line and didn't receive as much ice time as he's accustomed to). He's almost due to break through at this point...right?

I think Ernst is the default starter for now until he loses the job. It might have been a mistake to put so much pressure on Nieto so early. I wondered during the preseason if Whittet might go with a goalie rotation, but he clearly prefers to stick with one guy.

But I don't think Ernst's leash is especially long. If he lets in a few easy goals on Friday, don't be surprised to see Nieto or Maher starting on Saturday.

Comment

Curious to see how the team performs tonight. Last year, this trip was an unmitigated disaster. It's always tough to play up in the North Country.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            Curious to see how the team performs tonight. Last year, this trip was an unmitigated disaster. It's always tough to play up in the North Country.
            Anyone see the game? Comments? Just from the box score, it seems we played well, and good to see Corcoran continuing with his scoring.

Comment

Nick Lappin story:
              http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/201...e-here-to-stay

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                Anyone see the game? Comments? Just from the box score, it seems we played well, and good to see Corcoran continuing with his scoring.
                I watched most of it. They looked really good in the second period - Clarkson had nothing going offensively and Brown had some good chances and zone time. The first and third periods were mixed bags - lots of time spent hemmed in the defensive zone with sporadic chances the other way.

Overall, not a bad performance considering our history in Potsdam! Would've loved to get a point, but a weird bounce allowed Clarkson to regain the lead immediately after we had tied it. It happens.

Comment

Matt Lorito write-up http://theahl.com/ahlotb-loritos-gam...ng-to-griffins

NJ Devils would have had a great third-lime with Matt, Nick together.

Comment

More on Matt:
                    http://theahl.com/lorito-player-of-the-week

Comment

Maine is tough to play at Alfond, but their record isn't nearly as strong in Portland. I'm still not expecting a win (should I ever?), but this is the kind of game that can be very beneficial for a young team (a Hockey East opponent, but not an elite one, on the road).

Hoping to see either Ernst or Maher in net. Nieto has been disappointing thus far.

Comment

5-1 Maine. Maine announcer has been high on Trey Dodd.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                          5-1 Maine. Maine announcer has been high on Trey Dodd.
                          I have been hesitant to reply over the past month, truthfully because there are far bigger problems plaguing the world these days than the state of Brown hockey. That said, I would be lying if I said that my feelings on the current state of affairs did not mirror the bigger picture: frustration, disappointment, even a bit of sadness.

I keep hoping for this team to turn the corner, for a season to start with a few game winning streak, or at least three or four victories before the exam break. Oh, how I long for 2013-14, when we were 5-6 to start, eventually 9-8-3 (before going 2-9-2 down the stretch), or 2011-12, when we started .500 before closing out 1-10. Sadly, this team is out to a 1-8 start, which means that since the 4-3 win over Providence last year to start 2016, the Bears are 2-19-4, during which time they've been outscored 93-50. Yuck.

Is that a cultural problem? Is that a confidence problem? Is it both? I can't answer these questions, and I don't put it on the student-athletes necessarily, at least not entirely. I hate to cast aspersions, or blame anyone - but things, to state the obvious, are not good. Two years ago, I felt like the graduation of all the key players on defense (re: Robertson, Wahl, Goldberg) would be problematic, and with young goaltending and defensemen, growing pains were going to happen - and they did. We were tense about who would replace the goal scoring, with a third of the Bears' goal scroing from a year ago graduating (and a third of the assists, which are having an impact on Marchin, no doubt). It's nice to see Corcoran and Lafferty getting some points, and I have been impressed with the play of some of the first-years, but, essentially, it's back to one line of scoring, three lines of energy.

The elephant in the room is, in all likelihood, if (not when) this team can turn it around. But this is not a young team, per se. In fact, Brown is the second eldest team in the ECAC. Is it time to hit the panic button? What is the elephant in the room? Either way, I'm struggling, as a fan, to be content with "let's be a hard working team that nobody wants to play in the playoffs, because in a three-game series, anything can happen." I'm struggling, as a fan, with knowing that March hockey means a road trip - and one home playoff series in 11 years will lend itself to that struggle. And I'm still hoping (praying?) that one of these days, it's all going to click, and we're just a lucky bounce away from a win streak.

If there's one thing the past month has taught me, it's that if the Cubs can win a World Series...

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                            I have been hesitant to reply over the past month, truthfully because there are far bigger problems plaguing the world these days than the state of Brown hockey. That said, I would be lying if I said that my feelings on the current state of affairs did not mirror the bigger picture: frustration, disappointment, even a bit of sadness.

I keep hoping for this team to turn the corner, for a season to start with a few game winning streak, or at least three or four victories before the exam break. Oh, how I long for 2013-14, when we were 5-6 to start, eventually 9-8-3 (before going 2-9-2 down the stretch), or 2011-12, when we started .500 before closing out 1-10. Sadly, this team is out to a 1-8 start, which means that since the 4-3 win over Providence last year to start 2016, the Bears are 2-19-4, during which time they've been outscored 93-50. Yuck.

Is that a cultural problem? Is that a confidence problem? Is it both? I can't answer these questions, and I don't put it on the student-athletes necessarily, at least not entirely. I hate to cast aspersions, or blame anyone - but things, to state the obvious, are not good. Two years ago, I felt like the graduation of all the key players on defense (re: Robertson, Wahl, Goldberg) would be problematic, and with young goaltending and defensemen, growing pains were going to happen - and they did. We were tense about who would replace the goal scoring, with a third of the Bears' goal scroing from a year ago graduating (and a third of the assists, which are having an impact on Marchin, no doubt). It's nice to see Corcoran and Lafferty getting some points, and I have been impressed with the play of some of the first-years, but, essentially, it's back to one line of scoring, three lines of energy.

The elephant in the room is, in all likelihood, if (not when) this team can turn it around. But this is not a young team, per se. In fact, Brown is the second eldest team in the ECAC. Is it time to hit the panic button? What is the elephant in the room? Either way, I'm struggling, as a fan, to be content with "let's be a hard working team that nobody wants to play in the playoffs, because in a three-game series, anything can happen." I'm struggling, as a fan, with knowing that March hockey means a road trip - and one home playoff series in 11 years will lend itself to that struggle. And I'm still hoping (praying?) that one of these days, it's all going to click, and we're just a lucky bounce away from a win streak.

If there's one thing the past month has taught me, it's that if the Cubs can win a World Series...

Couldn't agree more. The lack of competitiveness in most of the team's games this season has been beyond frustrating. I'm glad you brought this up, because I didn't want to be the one to start the conversation.

Is it time to start thinking about the next coach? The talent is seemingly there. It's not often that a team with three NHL draft picks on the roster finishes in the basement multiple years in a row. That has to say something about the coaching staff's developmental abilities and tactical knowledge. I've been hesitant to openly question Brendan, as I've always thought he was a great fit for the program and has said all the right things, even when faced with numerous difficult circumstances (recruits de-committing or not getting in to the school, injuries, etc.). But maybe I've been wrong. Maybe he's just not cut out for a head coaching position, and would be better served as an assistant like he was at Dartmouth.

I hope AD Jack Hayes is looking at the example set by the lacrosse team and by some of our local hockey rivals (namely Providence and Yale) to see how a national contender can galvanize students, alumni, and local fans. The lacrosse run to the final four last year was a truly memorable and thrilling experience, as I'm sure the Frozen Four runs were for the Providence and Yale fanbases. The atmosphere at home games and at the NCAA Quarterfinals at Brown Stadium was absolutely electric. Despite the expense and the close loss, I'm very pleased with my decision to drive down to Philly for the final four game.

A similar run made by the hockey team would be a huge branding opportunity, as well as an opportunity for Brown Athletics to monetize a historically non-lucrative program. Brown certainly does not have the brand power or resonance of Providence (due in no small part to its basketball team's historical prominence), nor quite the academic prestige of Yale or Harvard, but it can certainly make a name for itself if the administrative commitment is there.

In the meantime, I'll continue to hold out hope that this team can turn it around and start playing well. Most of the team is made up of underclassmen, even though it's one of the older ones in the conference, so they may gain more confidence and hockey IQ with experience.

But I'm not expecting anything at this point.
                            Last edited by kdiff77; 11-29-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post

Brown lacks a consistent goal scorer. Plain and simple. We don't have anyone, and I thought Marchin would have been that person, who is a natural goal scorer, one our opponents would develop game plans to shut down. yes, Corcoran is doing well and I see no reason why he won't continue. But are opponents in their game plan thinking about shutting him down? How does Brown develop a game plan without that scorer?

Comment

Any speculation on what Brendan does with the line up this weekend? Shake things up? Anyone from the stands in the line up? Goalie?

Comment

Working...
                                X