No announcement yet.

The 114th Congress: Two More Years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 114th Congress: Two More Years!

Obama Veto Overridden by Congress.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...uits/91184976/

That's a first for this President. And it wasn't by a little in the Senate: 97-1. Ouch.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

That's a first for this President. And it wasn't by a little in the Senate: 97-1. Ouch.
      My guess was confirmed on the -1. Harry carried the Administration's water.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

It was political poison. My instinct is that there's probably more to it than I think, but I support the bill and the override. There are important members of the Saudi royal family and government who aided the terrorist attacks on 9/11. First Bush covered up for his daddy's friends by whisking them out of the country, then Obama continued to shelter them from the responsibility for their actions for Matters Of State. It's not a good look, America. Realpolitik can be carried too far -- victims who can recover should be allowed to, and the trials will hopefully bring a lot of hidden truths to light. If they embarrass the Saudis or the Bush (or Obama for the cover up) administrations or the CIA or others, so be it.

Also, overrides are cool and one of the few times when Congress actually girds its nutsack and checks the president. Even though this time it was the easiest vote this side of "protect the sanctity of Motherhood and apple pie," it's still good for the White House to be legitimately faced once in a while.

Also it lets the GOP caucus put down the gun to our head on another shutdown. All those guys can go back to their districts and yammer about the time they "hurr hurr embarrassed that Kenyan Commie Muslin Nigg--." Let em have their tub thump; this was a win/win.
        Last edited by Kepler; 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          It was political poison. My instinct is that there's probably more to it than I think, but I support the bill and the override. There are important members of the Saudi royal family and government who aided the terrorist attacks on 9/11. First Bush covered up for his daddy's friends by whisking them out of the country, then Obama continued to shelter them from the responsibility for their actions for Matters Of State. It's not a good look, America. Realpolitik can be carried too far -- victims who can recover should be allowed to, and the trials will hopefully bring a lot of hidden truths to light. If they embarrass the Saudis or the Bush (or Obama for the cover up) administrations or the CIA or others, so be it.

Also, overrides are cool and one of the few times when Congress actually girds its nutsack and checks the president. Even though this time it was the easiest vote this side of "protect the sanctity of Motherhood and apple pie," it's still good for the White House to be legitimately faced once in a while.

Also it lets the GOP caucus put down the gun to our head on another shutdown. All those guys can go back to their districts and yammer about the time they "hurr hurr embarrassed that Kenyan Commie Muslin Nigg--." Let em have their tub thump; this was a win/win.
          The slippery slope is that it's a notch against sovereign immunity, and other countries may retaliate by doing the same thing to us. And since we are the world's cops and have a greater presence in most countries than they have here, we'd be hurt by that more than they would be by this.

But try to explain that in the face of 9/11 widows and orphans trying to sue some oil sheikh.

Plus Saudis can't vote. Imagine a similar law stripping immunity from cops and district attorneys in wrongful death and malicious prosecution cases. I imagine there'd be more of a pushback on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Also, overrides are cool and one of the few times when Congress actually girds its nutsack and checks the president.
            You mean ... sometimes the system works.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              And since we are the world's cops and have a greater presence in most countries than they have here, we'd be hurt by that more than they would be by this.
              True, but maybe this will also keep us from being as interventionist as in the past.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                My guess was confirmed on the -1. Harry carried the Administration's water.
                97-1.
                The "1" is Reid (NV).

But the Senate is 100.

The missing two? Sanders (NH), Kaine (VA)

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

97-1.
                  The "1" is Reid (NV).

But the Senate is 100.

I would have voted no. I don't usually disagree with both my Senators but in this case I do.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

97-1.
                    The "1" is Reid (NV).

But the Senate is 100.

Rubio actually showed up to a vote?
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I'm with uno on this one. I don't like it.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I'm with uno on this one. I don't like it.
                        I can live with it. **** Saudi's need to be held to account. I'm guessing Obama went through the motions with the veto, knowing he'd be overridden but not putting up too much if any effort to sustain it.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          And since we are the world's cops and have a greater presence in most countries than they have here, we'd be hurt by that more than they would be by this.
                          The Empire might be hurt. My America will be just fine.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            I'm guessing Obama went through the motions with the veto, knowing he'd be overridden but not putting up too much if any effort to sustain it.
                            Supposedly he got a lot of internal memos from DIA and AG types who said, "this could open a can of whup-as-s on all the stuff we do overseas." I'll bet a lot of Yemeni widows would like to see a lawyer about suing us for dropping a smart bomb on Our Daughter's Wedding. Likewise Pakistani widows.

AFAIC, that's not a bad thing. If US loses the ability to hide behind state sovereignty when we murder innocent people overseas, and it starts costing money and prestige and secrets, then maybe we'll, ya know, stop murdering innocent people overseas. (To stop it domestically, consult your PD.)
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Supposedly he got a lot of internal memos from DIA and AG types who said, "this could open a can of whup-as-s on all the stuff we do overseas." I'll bet a lot of Yemeni widows would like to see a lawyer about suing us for dropping a smart bomb on Our Daughter's Wedding. Likewise Pakistani widows.

AFAIC, that's not a bad thing. If US loses the ability to hide behind state sovereignty when we murder innocent people overseas, and it starts costing money and prestige and secrets, then maybe we'll, ya know, stop murdering innocent people overseas. (To stop it domestically, consult your PD.)
                              Gitmo detainees who turned out not to be terrorists as well I'd imagine.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Gitmo detainees who turned out not to be terrorists as well I'd imagine.
                                Man, I would sue the USG for eleventy-gazillion dollars. "Pain and suffering" certainly applies to state-sponsored torture.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X