X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans Offseason

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Good news or bad news???

@INCH: Via @LSJsports, MSU Board of Regents votes Wed on a contract extension for hockey coach Tom Anastos thru 2019-20 | http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...dium/85885940/
    After reading just about every Ron Mason tribute article on the web, where almost all highlighted the fact his only losing seasons were his first two at MSU, and then remembering the hell that was last season's 1-17-1 streak in Anastos' fifth year of his five year plan turned nine year plan, can't say I'm too optimistic.

Add the Jacquie Joseph softball extension onto that, and I'm moving closer and closer to the anti-Mark Hollis bandwagon. All the ticket office screw ups, ignoring non-revenue sports, extending contracts of the two worst performing coaches of said non-revenue sports... well, aircraft carrier games don't really make up for that after awhile.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      After reading just about every Ron Mason tribute article on the web, where almost all highlighted the fact his only losing seasons were his first two at MSU, and then remembering the hell that was last season's 1-17-1 streak in Anastos' fifth year of his five year plan turned nine year plan, can't say I'm too optimistic.

Add the Jacquie Joseph softball extension onto that, and I'm moving closer and closer to the anti-Mark Hollis bandwagon. All the ticket office screw ups, ignoring non-revenue sports, extending contracts of the two worst performing coaches of said non-revenue sports... well, aircraft carrier games don't really make up for that after awhile.
      Good news or bad news???

@INCH: Via @LSJsports, MSU Board of Regents votes Wed on a contract extension for hockey coach Tom Anastos thru 2019-20 | http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...dium/85885940/
      Besides the most casual of MSU hockey followers - and after reading this news I'd have to include the majority of Trustees among them - who can possibly be a fan of this? From a past-performance and current trajectory point of view, a majority "Yes" vote is Bad. Let's add willfully ignorant, lazy, insane and embarrassing.

You simply cannot saddle this university with an additional 3 years without first seeing a VAST improvement in both results and fan interest. While we're still reeling from the sudden passing of a truly great and proven hockey coach, if this practially "academic" outcome of a rolling contact is as I fear, this is the absolute coldest slap in the face.

Comment

Good news or bad news???

Isaw that. I hope the Trusties don't just rubber stamp this. I hope they turn it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
          Isaw that. I hope the Trusties don't just rubber stamp this. I hope they turn it down.
          It has already been approved. Anastos' contract now runs through the 2019-2020 season. Although, that is the shortest of the contract extensions for the three coaches up for them (other two were the basketball coaches). I'm not for this in any way but it is almost standard for any coach of a major sport to have a contract that is more than a couple years long.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
            It has already been approved. Anastos' contract now runs through the 2019-2020 season. Although, that is the shortest of the contract extensions for the three coaches up for them (other two were the basketball coaches). I'm not for this in any way but it is almost standard for any coach of a major sport to have a contract that is more than a couple years long.
            Yes, there are two options (please mark one)
            [ ] The standard extension
            [ ] Do not renew

The second choice holds nobody (not even the coach) hostage. A decision in April is based on the performance the previous 6 months - right?

The fact that they did not come to the right (and simple) decision after 5 years consisting of 2 winning records and ending with the 2nd-worst season in 35 years ... that's indefensible.

Comment

Ok, I know that nobody can say for sure but what if the team tanks next year like Wisky did? Does this make it very unlikely to dismiss the current staff? Would we be stuck for at least 2 more seasons?

I think a 6 or so win season is more likely than north of .500. It feels as if another terrible year would pretty much be the coup de grace of the program so I have no idea if this means there are pretty much no standards the program needs to meet anymore. Not sure they'll fire a coach with 3 years still remaining on his co tract.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                Ok, I know that nobody can say for sure but what if the team tanks next year like Wisky did? Does this make it very unlikely to dismiss the current staff? Would we be stuck for at least 2 more seasons?
                I don't know the exact details of Anastos' contract and more specifically the buyout, but if we assume it's similar to Mike Eaves, we'll use Eaves as an example.

Eaves was on a similar rolling contract where the school had the option to add a one-year extension every year. Eaves was under contract until 2019; the school had the option last summer to add a one-year extension to that contract, or leave it as it was. When Eaves was fired, his contract buyout stipulated he still get the full value of his contract. So now Wisconsin only has to pay him until 2019, rather than 2020 if they had opted to extend him last summer.

Same deal with Anastos. MSU had the option to extend his contract to 2019 or leave it set to expire in 2018. If they do fire him, they'll likely have to pay him until 2019 too, whereas if they didn't extend, it might have been a little cheaper to fire him next spring. But it's not like Michigan State wouldn't have the money to get rid of him if they really cared enough to do it, so it doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  I don't know the exact details of Anastos' contract and more specifically the buyout, but if we assume it's similar to Mike Eaves, we'll use Eaves as an example.

Eaves was on a similar rolling contract where the school had the option to add a one-year extension every year. Eaves was under contract until 2019; the school had the option last summer to add a one-year extension to that contract, or leave it as it was. When Eaves was fired, his contract buyout stipulated he still get the full value of his contract. So now Wisconsin only has to pay him until 2019, rather than 2020 if they had opted to extend him last summer.

Same deal with Anastos. MSU had the option to extend his contract to 2019 or leave it set to expire in 2018. If they do fire him, they'll likely have to pay him until 2019 too, whereas if they didn't extend, it might have been a little cheaper to fire him next spring. But it's not like Michigan State wouldn't have the money to get rid of him if they really cared enough to do it, so it doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme.
                  Ok, thanks.

For now, I am just going to hope that we are pleasantly surprised next season. If things go off the rails, I will at least cling to hope that a change will be made.

Last season was astonishing in several ways. How did Anastos' most experienced team end up his worst? We went 1-17 for a stretch. In a sport where weaker teams defeat strong teams around the country on any given night. I wouldn't expect us to go 1-17 if we played 18 straight against College hockey's greatest teams of the last decade.

Comment

I'm sure there are some Trusties up for re-election this fall.

Comment

I'm sure there are some Trusties up for re-election this fall.
                      Diane Woodard and Dianne Byrum.

I'd also be surprised if Ferguson and Perles make it to the end of their terms ('21 and '23). Those two are probably the most important when it comes to athletics decisions.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

At Church last night, I mentioned the contract extension to some Wolvies. They said thanks and laughed a lot. Sigh.........

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          Diane Woodard and Dianne Byrum.

I'd also be surprised if Ferguson and Perles make it to the end of their terms ('21 and '23). Those two are probably the most important when it comes to athletics decisions.
                          You are right on Ferguson and Perles. They are the key people.

Comment

At Church last night, I mentioned the contract extension to some Wolvies. They said thanks and laughed a lot. Sigh.........
                            I opened this thread to express my condolences over Ron Mason's passing away.
                            Then I saw the Anastos contract extension, and it's difficult not to laugh.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

If you were either at the funeral or listened on radio, what was your favorite "Ron-Man" story?

To me Dave Carrier led the way. He recounted that during one of his his weekly practice-related meetings with Mason, he opined that the team looked physically spent and asked to consider if the boys could get the day off. Mason said "Great, meeting over".

A while later, after about 20 minutes on the ice, Mason blew the whistle, screamed about his team's lack of readiness for practice, and to get the hell off his ice. He then walked by Carrier, winked at him and said, "that work for you?".

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                I opened this thread to express my condolences over Ron Mason's passing away.
                                Then I saw the Anastos contract extension, and it's difficult not to laugh.
                                Double-condolences, then

Comment

Working...
                                X