X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV: Give Me That Remote!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You, or anyone under the age of 60 for that matter.
    I'm not 60, and I love Dark Shadows. About ten years or so ago, they were running it on the SyFy channel from the first episode. I don't know how that show survived, because until Barnabas showed up, probably 50 or more episodes into it, that thing was just pure snoozeville.

It's worth watching just for the bloopers, especially during the credits sequence. Either it wasn't taped, or it was so cheap they'd never re-shoot, but they'd run the ending credits crawl over a live shot of a room with a fireplace or whatever, and the most memorable one for me was when Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas, walks into the shot carrying his wardrobe shoes. He stops when he sees the camera rolling, and then just backs away offscreen.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Alright, alright - I was wrong to generalize.

But seriously, my mom is about the only person I know who watched it, and she is 61.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I'm under 60. My older sister (under 60 until July) loved DS. It was awful. You take the same hackneyed themes of soap operas going back to the golden age of radio, and transplant them into a strange setting. In The Americans it's Soviet era espionage. But the show itself, the writing, is just the same tried-and-true kitchen table soap.

It works great if you (a) like the setting, or (b) love that Payton Place domestic intensity / inevitable plot twist bit. In a lot of ways about 50% of all TV drama is working off the same 1937 script; there's nothing wrong with it.
        What is it, humor is based off of seven basic jokes or something?

It's all in how it's told. I'm sure movies/tv shows/stories are the same way.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm under 60. My older sister (under 60 until July) loved DS. It was awful. You take the same hackneyed themes of soap operas going back to the golden age of radio, and transplant them into a strange setting. In The Americans it's Soviet era espionage. But the show itself, the writing, is just the same tried-and-true kitchen table soap.

It works great if you (a) like the setting, or (b) love that Payton Place domestic intensity / inevitable plot twist bit. In a lot of ways about 50% of all TV drama is working off the same 1937 script; there's nothing wrong with it.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            I'm not 60, and I love Dark Shadows. About ten years or so ago, they were running it on the SyFy channel from the first episode. I don't know how that show survived, because until Barnabas showed up, probably 50 or more episodes into it, that thing was just pure snoozeville.
            That's exactly right, it was amazingly boring. I have no idea how it made it through the first 2 seasons without Barnabas. It also started getting a little more absurd and "break the 4th wall" with him. They knew at that point they were a cult show, not a mainline show.

I have really creepy memories of that show because I used to watch VCR tapes of it at the house a GF shared with the owner of several huge snakes. There were mice in the freezer for snake treats, and the whole place smelled kinda snakey. The woman was a 40+ spinster completely obsessed with DS, and my GF begged me to come over to watch with them because when it was just the girls she was creeped out by her housemate.

I lasted about a month and then just told my GF to move in with me; so if it was a strategy it worked perfectly.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Jessica Jones:

Just watched the "Homecoming" episode, or whatever it's called. This is getting downright creepy. I love it.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Jessica Jones:

Just watched the "Homecoming" episode, or whatever it's called. This is getting downright creepy. I love it.
                As far as superhero TV goes, it's the best I've seen so far. They actually built three-dimensional characters that hold my interest, and I truly mean that in the plural, which doesn't seem to happen often enough.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  As far as superhero TV goes, it's the best I've seen so far. They actually built three-dimensional characters that hold my interest, and I truly mean that in the plural, which doesn't seem to happen often enough.
                  Agreed. The depth....it's much more cerebral than the "Bam Pow Asplode" themes that usually drive these shows/movies.

Comment

Loving Jessica Jones. We're 5 episodes in. We started Luther today. Watched the first 3 of season 1. Loving that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Agreed. The depth....it's much more cerebral than the "Bam Pow Asplode" themes that usually drive these shows/movies.
                      The key factor here is having 13 hours to tell a story vs 2 hours. The TV writers can dig much deeper into character development. That's why Killgrave and Kingpin are the best villains in the Marvel world. They're the only ones where you get a feel for their motives and rationale. The TV-MA is also a factor in Jessica Jones. That made the series. The character development seen in almost every major character simply does not work in a PG-13 environment.
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Well, after her getting POUNDED by Luke in the beginning, yeah, MA is appropriate.

Just watched the one with all the killing. My reaction: https://imgflip.com/readImage?iid=59776574

Comment

Dr. Mrs. finally succeeded in forcing me to watch this. It's Dark Shadows. Take a soap opera and wrap it in a different genre's clothing.
                          Alexandra Moltke is related to me somehow.
                          Just googled her, her father married my aunt, so I guess she is my step cousin.
                          Last edited by walrus; 05-30-2016, 06:54 AM.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I caved and binged the last couple eps of Jessica Jones. The end of the season...I am having a love-hate feeling towards it. Kind of anti-climactic in some ways, satisfying in others. Should be interesting to see how this goes forward. Also might have stumbled on something on IMDB about the show's arc, but didn't look into it, don't know for sure, don't want to know. I'd rather be surprised.

Comment

The latest episode of Vice is incredible. Edward Snowden was on it. Absolutely fascinating.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                The latest episode of Vice is incredible. Edward Snowden was on it. Absolutely fascinating.
                                I hope Obama pardons him on the final day and drops the mic.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X