Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

If Red knows what he's doing still, Nagelvoort will not play another minute unless it's in garbage time.

Lavigne and LaFontaine are worlds ahead of Nagelvoort.

Start LaFontaine with Lavigne as the backup.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      I sat behind "Union fans" at the Philly Frozen Four. I don't think those 2 had been to a college hockey game, but all the sudden their team was in the championship so they were there. Some friends and I also ventured out to Schenectady last year for our game vs. Union. Between those experiences my stereotype of Union fans is that they are the kind of New Yorkers that believe every thought they have must be heard. They do not shut up, and they do not have a filter. Especially fun when you're in earshot and know 1/4 of what they are spouting is bull.
      So what I'm hearing is that I met the one decent Union fan? To be fair I said that we didn't really talk much although I thought the facepalm was absolutely hilarious. I guess that he could have toned it down as there was a gaggle of kids with him.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Not entirely sure what is going on with this team.

If not for some very good goaltending, we should have been swept.

Just controlling the puck to move down the ice seems to be a struggle right now.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Just controlling the puck to move down the ice seems to be a struggle right now.
          Talent void is obvious, but this team is full of freshmen that aren't getting very much upper classmen help.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Talent void is obvious, but this team is full of freshmen that aren't getting very much upper classmen help.
            I think we differ there. I think there is talent- it's just not working together, and mentally, it's getting to everyone.

Or maybe I want to see talent...

Comment

I think we differ there. I think there is talent- it's just not working together, and mentally, it's getting to everyone.

Or maybe I want to see talent...
              No, there is talent, but it is young and inexperienced. I see the same basic "system" oriented mistakes on defense. That is the problem in my opinion. The talent void I speak of is the type that could overcome those mistakes last season. At least our goaltending seems to be better.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                No, there is talent, but it is young and inexperienced. I see the same basic "system" oriented mistakes on defense. That is the problem in my opinion. The talent void I speak of is the type that could overcome those mistakes last season. At least our goaltending seems to be better.
                Seems to take a while for the system to start gelling, which is kind of troubling. Makes me wonder why Red hasn't altered it a little, or changed methods, since the amount of pre-season time he has directly has gone down. Or at least spend a LOT of time with the upperclassmen to have some drills the do before real coaching starts.

Comment

You of all people should know this by now. We go through this every single year. Each and every year we struggle in October, November, and the first half of December. Why? We have a lot of Freshman playing every year because of people leaving early. This year we have a larger than normal Freshman class which is why it seems so distinctly evident. Remember, these new kids have never played against guys that much bigger, stronger, faster, and talented. It takes a minute for them to catch up to the speed of the game. Have patience grasshoppa, they'll get there. No changing systems won't help either. It's called growing pains.
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    You of all people should know this by now. We go through this every single year. Each and every year we struggle in October, November, and the first half of December. Why? We have a lot of Freshman playing every year because of people leaving early. This year we have a larger than normal Freshman class which is why it seems so distinctly evident. Remember, these new kids have never played against guys that much bigger, stronger, faster, and talented. It takes a minute for them to catch up to the speed of the game. Have patience grasshoppa, they'll get there. No changing systems won't help either. It's called growing pains.
                    Here's the thing- we saw that they can do it well with Union. We also have a core group of people who should be able to teach the new guys. And, seeing the system that Mel has in place- apparently our system is not easy to learn and figure out. Yes, it works. Eventually. But should it be modified to pick up easier?

The problem isn't the speed or size- it's mental. And it's not just the freshmen that look lost- Jr and Sr were making some pretty bad decisions out there- Cutler Martin had a horrible turn over at the blue line that turned into a goal- that should have never happened.

Comment

Heading out to New England tonight. Going to the games at Vermont and Dartmouth with some friends.

I hope to see our endurance improving. So far this Michigan team seems to tire early.

West Texas Wolverine, if you see this, was it Vermont you were planning to go to? Are you still going? Hope to see you tomorrow.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Heading out to New England tonight. Going to the games at Vermont and Dartmouth with some friends.

I hope to see our endurance improving. So far this Michigan team seems to tire early.

West Texas Wolverine, if you see this, was it Vermont you were planning to go to? Are you still going? Hope to see you tomorrow.
                        Gonna have to rely on your witness of the game.. sounded pathetic to me.

Comment

It was pathetic. They just aren't a team yet. Half the passes are behind each other. UVM's first goal was a bad turnover in our zone. The second goal went 5 hole on Lavigne, he should have had it.

Hockey East refs call a lot of penalties, but they called both ways and were valid. A couple of Michigan's penalties were just laziness/tired.

Lots of room for improvement. Hopefully tomorrow is better.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

It was pathetic. They just aren't a team yet. Half the passes are behind each other. UVM's first goal was a bad turnover in our zone. The second goal went 5 hole on Lavigne, he should have had it.

Hockey East refs call a lot of penalties, but they called both ways and were valid. A couple of Michigan's penalties were just laziness/tired.

Yeah you guys looked slow out of the gate. Vermont is generally a fast team but the D is terrible (O'Donnell handed you guys the puck about 3 times in the slot)... UVM has been surprisingly good this year so not sure it was a reflection on your guys.. UVM is much better so far than we expected.

Regarding the refs.. it has been like that all year (you think HE refs have a quick whistle watch the ECAC Refs)..

Comment

Some hoped that Lavigne would step up and take control- a "shoulda" goal, and his rebound control issues would suggest he's not it, too. We will see Lafontaine tonight, I'm sure, and he shoulda had some against Tech. (this isn't a comment that we should have won, but we are working to find a goalie to take the net).

The passing makes we think they are practicing slow. And that they come out slow makes me think that more.

Comment

On a vacation note, wT- the colors must be pretty impressive in Vermont and New Hampshire. At least you have that to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                X