Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I was watching until just into the 3rd so I missed Union coming back.
    I thought on one of Michigan's PP's every pass that was a scoring opportunity would hop off the stick. Very uncharacteristic of Michigan I thought. Usually you guys are so crisp and precise on your passing it makes me envious.
    After so many years, I'm pretty used to taking a few weeks to get the passing as sharp as you think it should be. Not only was the puck bouncing over sticks, but it was behind some rushing players enough that stalled a great opportunity. That happened a few times (as it has in previous years).

Then the team started to panic more on D as the game went on- Union controlled the puck enough to get inside their heads. It was better than Windsor last Sunday, but it's also the same as we've seen in previous years, too.

There were some penalties that should not have been- be it bad calls (both sides) or not smart plays- I think I saw just one good penalty on our side- where Ciccioni hooked a really clean and open break on the net. He had to do that, and they didn't score on the powerplay.

With so many penalties- we took it mentally and physically harder than Union did. They looked fresher at the end- which mattered the most. Probably their experience meant that all of the PK time was so little impact on the play. They did good on that, for sure.

Comment

Nice job, Weasles. Way to blow a late lead. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same in AA: no defense, lax goaltending and a country club atmosphere the blue chippers love so much.

No wonder you prefer to play east coast schools instead of in-state rivals. You don't want to be humiliated, although you do a fine job of that already.
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

That was night and day different than yesterday.

As much as we like Zach, Hadyen really changed the mindset of the team- from defense to offense. Really great to see.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          That was night and day different than yesterday.

As much as we like Zach, Hadyen really changed the mindset of the team- from defense to offense. Really great to see.
          Nice to talk with you Eric. I agree, Hayden appeared to calm down the defense. Of course, the team played much better in front of him on saturday and didn't take nearly the penalties they did on Friday. Hayden turned away 27 shots compared to the 40 on friday.

Overall, the Union fans should be proud of their team- they work hard for 60 minutes. Similarly, Michigan fans can see glimpses of the future when this team matures. The offense is patchwork (2 SHG's, 2 goals from a non-scoring d-man for instance) and the defense spotty still. I'll take boring 4-0 wins every week, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
            Nice job, Weasles. Way to blow a late lead. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same in AA: no defense, lax goaltending and a country club atmosphere the blue chippers love so much.

No wonder you prefer to play east coast schools instead of in-state rivals. You don't want to be humiliated, although you do a fine job of that already.
            1. Great example of that WMU education. "weasles"- what is that a combination of measles and western michigan?
            2. Opinions are like arseholes and there are plenty of those in K-zoo.
            3. You may get your chance to get drunk and yell obscenities at the Michigan fans at the GLI. I guarantee that you and your fans have already done a great job of that already.

Comment

Glad you guys got the win yesterday. Wish I could have watched it to see the differences in how you played those two games against Union.

Comment

Wasn't LaFontaine a big recruit? But he's third string? It is funny seeing a fan from a slapdick program like wmu trolling you though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Glad you guys got the win yesterday. Wish I could have watched it to see the differences in how you played those two games against Union.
                  Two big differences, Hb: goaltending and better defensive commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Wasn't LaFontaine a big recruit? But he's third string? It is funny seeing a fan from a slapdick program like wmu trolling you though.
                    LaFontaine is a Carolina draftee and got chased by the OHL, but other than that he has the least experience and age at the D1 level. Nagelvoort will be given the chance to play his way out of the net. Lavigne is a 20 year old that cut his teeth at the NAHL and appears ready for D1. I suspect that he and LaFontaine will battle for the starting role eventually. He looked really good against the U of Windsor. The forgotten guy is Chad Catt who saw some action last season but will be lucky to dress this season.

Comment

I've gotta relay this experience. I went to the Saturday game against Union and as luck turned out I sat directly next to a Union fan. I know absolutely nothing about him as we didn't talk that much but on the second Michigan goal (wrist shot from Piazza from the blueline that beat Kupsky) he gave the biggest face-palm that I have ever seen. It was loud too, just a big smack. I started dieing laughing. Despite Michigan winning that was the highlight of my night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GP5_NQ_LEs
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

That's ok. Makes up for the two face palms I did on Friday in the last 5 minutes, and the Union fan in front of me was delighted.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          That's ok. Makes up for the two face palms I did on Friday in the last 5 minutes, and the Union fan in front of me was delighted.
                          And you saw the group of Union people that we had to deal with. For one of them being a parent, wow.... Not good people.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            And you saw the group of Union people that we had to deal with. For one of them being a parent, wow.... Not good people.
                            I sat behind "Union fans" at the Philly Frozen Four. I don't think those 2 had been to a college hockey game, but all the sudden their team was in the championship so they were there. Some friends and I also ventured out to Schenectady last year for our game vs. Union. Between those experiences my stereotype of Union fans is that they are the kind of New Yorkers that believe every thought they have must be heard. They do not shut up, and they do not have a filter. Especially fun when you're in earshot and know 1/4 of what they are spouting is bull.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Encouraging win last night. Our team, good or bad, have recently had problems going to Big Rapids and playing Ferris well. I know Ferris isn't exactly having a good season so far, but there is a mental stumble there, to me, too.

And Piazza is on pace for +30 goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                The union "fans" i came across in 2013 were brutal

Comment

Working...
                                X