Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 879

Thread: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

  1. #141
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    873

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Not being able to generate shots (outshot in every single game) is what's going to make this season a disaster, not the goalies or defense.

    Pretty much looking at a 2014-15 Wisconsin season right now unless things change drastically.

    At least Red didn't pass this disaster off to the next guy and is taking it in the chin this year when it's no tournament for the 4th time in 5 years.
    WELCOME BACK HOME, COACH PEARSON!!
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Red had quite a run at MI. and now maybe it is just time for him to go out and enjoy retirement before age catches up with him .

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,195

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    I think Red's retirement package will be pulling the sheet up over his head behind the bench. LOL!
    Seriously though, I truly respect the man and will miss him when he's gone. After all these years it would seem strange not seeing him there.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,404

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Not being able to generate shots (outshot in every single game) is what's going to make this season a disaster, not the goalies or defense.

    Pretty much looking at a 2014-15 Wisconsin season right now unless things change drastically.
    You have 3/4 of the wins they had all season already

  5. #145
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    Red had quite a run at MI. and now maybe it is just time for him to go out and enjoy retirement before age catches up with him .
    I don't think any program can recover from the type of roster gutting that this one took the last couple of seasons. Think about it- they lost a Hobey candidate or three the last two seasons. Multiple underclass defections and graduation losses. There are adequate holdovers left, but mostly 2-3rd line talent. The freshmen will be decent in the future but are getting a dose of big boy hockey. Be happy for one thing- they seem to have found some goaltending, which, above many things was a main reason they were not competitive enough to make NCAA tournaments.

    I don't know how that is Red's fault, but go ahead, pick the low hanging fruit. I appreciate the kind comments about him, though.

    I also expect better from the Michigan fans, too.

    IMHO, the issues rest with the system being run- like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole- with the developed talent on this team. Defense takes work and a proper supporting structure. Right now the defense has to be sold out to generate any offense. Meanwhile, our goaltenders are being shelled. I don't think that is all on Red, either- there is a coaching team in place. The proof will be when Red finally leaves and a new system (and coaching staff) is in place.

    /rantover

  6. #146
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    8,845

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    I don't think any program can recover from the type of roster gutting that this one took the last couple of seasons. Think about it- they lost a Hobey candidate or three the last two seasons. Multiple underclass defections and graduation losses. There are adequate holdovers left, but mostly 2-3rd line talent. The freshmen will be decent in the future but are getting a dose of big boy hockey. Be happy for one thing- they seem to have found some goaltending, which, above many things was a main reason they were not competitive enough to make NCAA tournaments.
    This is what I told fans I met last weekend. Some of them knew about the CCM line, I mention they could all have been back this year. I also mention that we lost our top defensive pairing. Losing your starters, none of which were seniors takes a lot of talent off a team (and in Downing's case, probably removes a few stupid penalties as well).
    I know we must accept that recruiting top talent often means they leave after 2 or 3 years; or in the case of Connor and Larkin, 1 year. I try not to reflect on the team we'd have if everyone stayed for 4 years, but it's such an appealing fantasy (Compher, Connor, Motte, Werenski, Larkin, Downing).


    Looking to what we have this season to work with: After last weekend's hockey I'm in pessimist mode. If we lose to Arizona State, I'll go into full pessimist mode. I'm not there yet. I'm clinging to the hope that these young players figure out how to play like a team.

    Maybe I should set small goals to hope for. Like, please don't get outshot eleventy billion to ten.
    Quote Originally Posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
    Arenas visited:
    6 B1G
    9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    6 Hockey East (BU, BC, Notre Dame, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    3 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth)

  7. #147
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    No need to go into full pessimist mode, thankfully. 4-1 for us.

    I've not seen the box score or and highlights, so I have no idea what happened other than us scoring more than them.

    BU next week is going to be a massive challenge.

  8. #148
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    So some notes from a live review on another site, and reading the box score....

    Nagelvoort got the start. And the review has him making some key saves in the 2nd. With Lavigne and Lafontaine not taking charge of the net, we now have a 3 way play for the starting time. Zach's one goal against was a bad D pinch that lead to a 2x1.

    DeJong got his first career goal. First? After all this time the first? I would have never dreamed of that. Good for him!

    Lockwood got 2, and my man Piazza got yet another point- he's wracking them up pretty well. (for me, it will be interesting to see him play in our zone to see if he's improving there, too)

    We took a good number of penalties- and while I've not gotten an answer the kind- most are tripping, and two interference. Which to me mean that they were a step behind where they should have been- either from being out of position or not moving their feet. That still needs worked on.

    Can we make the steps to be competitive with BU? And who is going to start in the net???

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    68

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    We took a good number of penalties- and while I've not gotten an answer the kind- most are tripping, and two interference. Which to me mean that they were a step behind where they should have been- either from being out of position or not moving their feet. That still needs worked on.
    I was there. Game was very tightly called and both teams were recipients of things that normally would not be penalties.

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,583

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    This is what I told fans I met last weekend. Some of them knew about the CCM line, I mention they could all have been back this year. I also mention that we lost our top defensive pairing. Losing your starters, none of which were seniors takes a lot of talent off a team (and in Downing's case, probably removes a few stupid penalties as well).
    I know we must accept that recruiting top talent often means they leave after 2 or 3 years; or in the case of Connor and Larkin, 1 year. I try not to reflect on the team we'd have if everyone stayed for 4 years, but it's such an appealing fantasy (Compher, Connor, Motte, Werenski, Larkin, Downing).


    Looking to what we have this season to work with: After last weekend's hockey I'm in pessimist mode. If we lose to Arizona State, I'll go into full pessimist mode. I'm not there yet. I'm clinging to the hope that these young players figure out how to play like a team.

    Maybe I should set small goals to hope for. Like, please don't get outshot eleventy billion to ten.
    Every year it's the same, the Freshmen figure out this college hockey thing around the GLI. It just seems worse this year because we lost so much. It is true that this isa particularly bad year so far but give it a chance. There's no reason to cry over the "Michigan Hockey summer." We had one a few years ago where we didn't lose anyone, still didn't make the tournament I believe the following season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

  11. #151
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Parking note for Friday- there is a women's BB game at 6:30 and a men's wrestling match at 7pm. So parking may be a little tighter than normal.

  12. #152
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    And a game time note- 7:35 tomorrow, 5:05 Saturday, apparently they want us to see the football game.

    So who starts in the net this weekend?

  13. #153
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    And a game time note- 7:35 tomorrow, 5:05 Saturday, apparently they want us to see the football game.

    So who starts in the net this weekend?
    Big effort tonight, best hockey of the season- special teams came through, limited SOG and played solid defense. Still too many penalties (6) but Lavigne was outstanding. Let's see if the seniors play on saturday after being suspended for a violation out in Arizona. Kile, DeJong and Shuart notably missing.

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,583

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Let's see if the seniors play on saturday after being suspended for a violation out in Arizona. Kile, DeJong and Shuart notably missing.
    Kids today, smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

  15. #155
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Big effort tonight, best hockey of the season- special teams came through, limited SOG and played solid defense. Still too many penalties (6) but Lavigne was outstanding. Let's see if the seniors play on saturday after being suspended for a violation out in Arizona. Kile, DeJong and Shuart notably missing.
    One other thing we liked was that the third period was more like the first as opposed to the second. Maybe they got tired from the consecutive penalties in the second, but they sure turned that around in the 3rd.

    It felt like the game was starting to go away for a long time, and Lavigne really kept us in it. Then a pretty strong 3rd.

    Even with that "weak" 2nd, your note about limiting SOG (even though BU had a lot) is a good one. BU only got a few good chances- although, a few of them should have been slam dunks...

    Well played.

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Let's see if the seniors play on saturday after being suspended for a violation out in Arizona. Kile, DeJong and Shuart notably missing.
    During the post game part of the radio coverage they were talking about that but differed in that they said they were held out because of lack of effort.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Has anyone heard anything about radio coverage for today? I usually listen to the post game on the way home from the game. I am assuming with the 8:00 kickoff the usual 3 hour pregame show on WTKA will start about the same time as the puck drops and will preempt hockey.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  18. #158
    old enough to know better
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Posts
    223

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    The usual thing is to switch to 1290 am for the game. A much weaker station an at sunset can be ungettable even in A2. Best bet may be streaming.
    He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by sqeyes View Post
    Best bet may be streaming.
    Unfortunately that is not an option in the car on the way home from the game.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    42.110733N, 83.724192W
    Posts
    1,063

    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Even with that "weak" 2nd, your note about limiting SOG (even though BU had a lot) is a good one. BU only got a few good chances- although, a few of them should have been slam dunks...
    During the post game show on the way home they had a brief tape with Lavigne where he said he faced a lot of shots but had only two or three were tough ones to face.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

    9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •