Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
    That is a good question. Why the AD is sticking with tCHHCoMSU is a puzzle at best. He whinned about not having his recruits the first five years, and now, this his sixth, all incoming are his. Maybe the man can recruit (although they don't seem to be an impressive lot), but he certainly cannot coach. It is a dumpster fire at Munn. Completely puzzled.
    Hey, Anastos is your Brady Hoke!
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Hey, Anastos is your Brady Hoke!
      At least you didn't have over a decade of John Markel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        In a year or two MSU may wish for a Markel. Anastos is turning into Welsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          I honestly don't understand why you guys don't like him.

First of all, he's the ONLY coach that has taken OSU to the Frozen Four (which was the outcome of one of my favorite non Michigan games of all time- that OSU-MSU game was amazing).

Second, his nominal success over the following +10 years has been a little better than the recent ones.

That tells me 2 things- Markel was a better coach than you think, and the reason that OSU can't sustain results goes much deeper than the coaches. No idea what it really is (fun as heck to speculate from up here, but that's not the issue )

Oddly enough, I kind of bet the issues that OSU and MSU currently are facing are similar to each other- and it has more to do with the rest of the athletic program and how it interacts with hockey. Realistically, my hunch idea makes sense that OSU continues to struggle with it- given the athletic history surrounding Columbus; but makes much LESS sense at MSU given their history as well. Kind of implies that the current football coach at MSU is taking a lot away from hockey (however that happens, if true). Interestingly, one could even make the stretch that our two past football coaches and respective ADs did the same at Michigan- it's interesting to note how much we struggled at a particular time. Odd.

I know that one can say that Dantonio and Meyer are just as big hockey fans as Harbaugh is- in the face of things. We will see over time if my theory has any merit.

(Oddly enough, the ONE weekend we went to the old barn to see a OSU hockey game, we sat next to Woody Hayes. So he appreciated the very new hockey program in the 70's in some manner)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

First of all, he's the ONLY coach that has taken OSU to the Frozen Four (which was the outcome of one of my favorite non Michigan games of all time- that OSU-MSU game was amazing).

Second, his nominal success over the following +10 years has been a little better than the recent ones.

That tells me 2 things- Markel was a better coach than you think, and the reason that OSU can't sustain results goes much deeper than the coaches. No idea what it really is (fun as heck to speculate from up here, but that's not the issue )

Oddly enough, I kind of bet the issues that OSU and MSU currently are facing are similar to each other- and it has more to do with the rest of the athletic program and how it interacts with hockey. Realistically, my hunch idea makes sense that OSU continues to struggle with it- given the athletic history surrounding Columbus; but makes much LESS sense at MSU given their history as well. Kind of implies that the current football coach at MSU is taking a lot away from hockey (however that happens, if true). Interestingly, one could even make the stretch that our two past football coaches and respective ADs did the same at Michigan- it's interesting to note how much we struggled at a particular time. Odd.

I know that one can say that Dantonio and Meyer are just as big hockey fans as Harbaugh is- in the face of things. We will see over time if my theory has any merit.

(Oddly enough, the ONE weekend we went to the old barn to see a OSU hockey game, we sat next to Woody Hayes. So he appreciated the very new hockey program in the 70's in some manner)

Simple, ohio state does not understand hockey.
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I have said the same thing to people who cry about the Markel years. He took a program from 8 wins to the FF and CCHA Title. Yes they let him stay a couple years to long but look at where the program went after he left. I thnk this team will be pretty good by the way.

Comment

Simple, ohio state does not understand hockey.
                I understand hockey very well but i know what your getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  I understand hockey very well but i know what your getting at.
                  Yea, I think that you are the only ohio state person that understands hockey. We met at Yost several years ago...

Comment

Yea, I think that you are the only ohio state person that understands hockey. We met at Yost several years ago...
                    He's not the only one. It's just that their numbers are very small.

Comment

Did I miss the announcement of team captains for this season?
                      The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                        Did I miss the announcement of team captains for this season?
                        Good question. In the past I believe it was announced at the Deker Banquet. That was not the case this year. I just looked at the roster on mgoblue.com to see if captains were listed, they are not. Will it be announced at the picnic? Is there a Deker picnic this year (the deker website has not been updated for 2016-2017)

Just started looking at the away trip my friends and I are going to go on this year. We considered Arizona, but that's a long way to go for just one game, and Gutterson Fieldhouse (Vermont) is towards the top of my list of rinks I want to see that I haven't been to yet. So, end of October we're going to Vermont and Dartmouth. Should be a fun trip.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Deker Picnic is this Sunday at Yost. 1pm. I'll wager that the captains will be announced then, too.

Comment

Well, we knew it was coming. FightingSioux released his updated rankings of the best programs of all time. Nodak passed us, barely. We are now #2. Good news is that we are very close (less than 2 points between us) therefore whoever has the better season will probably be #1 next year.

Comment

Deker Picnic is this Sunday at Yost. 1pm. I'll wager that the captains will be announced then, too.
                              I was wrong about the captains- they were not announced.

But the picnic was pretty cool- I know there were reservations about moving it from Hudson Mills to next to Yost- but we were told that far more people showed up than they expected, and more than normally come. I have to talk with a fellow poster tomorrow about what they felt about the change. One "regret"- not having time to talk to Freshmen- talked too much with the players we know. Oh, well, we will still try to meet them.

An interesting note for those who support the team- all clubs that support athletic programs but the Dekers had been "eliminated" under the previous AD. It was announced that they plan on restarting as many as they can, as well and reinvigorate the Dekers. So if you are interested, keep an eye out. It's a great way to meet the players and support the team other than just going to games. This coming from a person who had been a very inactive member for 20 years- which we regret a lot. We plan on being involved and getting to know the players better (and keep it off hockey).

Comment

[QUOTE=alfablue;6357155]
                                I was wrong about the captains- they were not announced.

Players I talked to were surprised that captains had not yet been announced. One said it could be because there is no clear cut choice, that there are many good leaders on this team. Another thought there could be three guys wearing an A this year with no C. Who knows. We may have to wait until October 2nd to find out.
                                The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Working...
                                X