Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Welcome back Mel! I'm hopeful for the future. Here's hoping we can bring back Michigan hockey to the standard it was.

Good luck to Tech with their coaching search.
    And here's hoping you lose every game.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      He was here for 23 years uninterrupted. He was at Tech for 15 with a large gap in between. Two of his kids go to U-M.

He's coming home.
      Absolutely. There may have been some flashier names mentioned, but this is absolutely the best hire for Michigan. I feel re-energized for hockey already.

Is there going to be a separate "John J. MacInnes eats crow" thread since he was so adamant Mel wasn't leaving?

Comment

He was here for 23 years uninterrupted. He was at Tech for 15 with a large gap in between. Two of his kids go to U-M.

He's coming home.
        I think all the kids have graduated.

I thought Tech had a chance at keeping Mel when his daughter married a Houghton native (with an engineering degree from U of M) who inexplicably managed to get a job in Houghton. But then they moved back to Ann Arbor and she got pregnant with Mel and Susie's first grandchild.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          And here's hoping you lose every game.
          Because you hate Michigan, hate Mel, or both?

Forgive me for pointing out that it seem petty to hate the coach who has brought your program back just because he's leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Maznblu View Post
            Absolutely. There may have been some flashier names mentioned, but this is absolutely the best hire for Michigan. I feel re-energized for hockey already.

Is there going to be a separate "John J. MacInnes eats crow" thread since he was so adamant Mel wasn't leaving?
            He's already doing that in the Tech thread.

Is there a reason people need to rub his nose in it, further, though?

Comment

Originally posted by Maznblu View Post

I think you may mean Johnson's Jerseys.
              2005-2006: 7-25-6
              2006-2007: 18-17-5
              2007-2008: 14-20-5
              2008-2009: 6-25-7
              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Because you hate Michigan, hate Mel, or both?

Forgive me for pointing out that it seem petty to hate the coach who has brought your program back just because he's leaving.
                That awkward moment when their top-2 coaches ever are Michigan Men.
                ---
                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                19 Conference Championships
                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

That awkward moment when their top-2 coaches ever are Michigan Men.
                  Mel is NOT a Michigan Man.
                  2005-2006: 7-25-6
                  2006-2007: 18-17-5
                  2007-2008: 14-20-5
                  2008-2009: 6-25-7
                  2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                    Friend, you're not accomplishing anything here. Come on back to the Tech thread and let's talk about what to do moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      He's already doing that in the Tech thread.

Is there a reason people need to rub his nose in it, further, though?
                      lets leave them alone, unless they come here to start trouble. No need to be jerks. As much as we are happy, it sucks, they are losing Mel.

Comment

Only if you don't consider him an integral part in two national championships. Or the 22 years of making it to the NCAA tournament, or the 11/9 CCHA titles (depending on which one).

Give me a break- Mel laid a lot on the bench for Michigan. How can he not be a Michigan man?

Comment

He's coming home.
                          well that and he kept his home in Saline...

Comment

And yet, he looks so good behind the Michigan bench.

If Mel is not a Michigan man, one could also argue Bo Schembechler was not a Michigan man. They'd be wrong.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              And yet, he looks so good behind the Michigan bench.

If Mel is not a Michigan man, one could also argue Bo Schembechler was not a Michigan man. They'd be wrong.
                              I'm convinced that Mel left because of his relationship with Red and Warde, not necessarily Michigan. I'm sure it was very difficult for him to say no to his mentor when asked to be the person to succeed him.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So now that it's official, any guesses as to who will be on the bench with Mel next year?

Comment

Working...
                                X